• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lidocaine and Magnesium Infusion for pain

I thought of trying Lidocaine and Magnesium infusion being offered at my local hospital for fibromyalgia.
I have CFS/ME with fibromyalgia but I figured that just having pain relief might be good.
The treatment is a series of 10 infusions given once a week.

I only got one infusion today as a "try out".
It leaves me groggy. Even the other people getting the infusion, who don't have ME/CFS sometimes get groggy.

There has been zero effect on my pain after this one infusion.

The nurse there said response is all individual and some people need 5 infusions before they start to feel pain improvement.

Continuing with the other 9 infusions means enduring the exhaustion of going to the hospital every week and some beaurocracy.

Has anyone tried Lidocain and Magnesium infusions for Fibromyalgia pain and has it helped or harmed them?
Thanks

p.s I've already done a web search but only found this:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/forum/22648/1

It's really weird that it has been so useless because I once tried lidocaine cream and that gave temporary mild pain relief. Don't know why this has been so useless

Mij

I thought of trying Lidocaine and Magnesium infusion being offered at my local hospital for fibromyalgia.
I have CFS/ME with fibromyalgia but I figured that just having pain relief might be good.
The treatment is a series of 10 infusions given once a week.

I only got one infusion today as a "try out".
It leaves me groggy. Even the other people getting the infusion, who don't have ME/CFS sometimes get groggy.

There has been zero effect on my pain after this one infusion.

The nurse there said response is all individual and some people need 5 infusions before they start to feel pain improvement.

Continuing with the other 9 infusions means enduring the exhaustion of going to the hospital every week and some beaurocracy.

Has anyone tried Lidocain and Magnesium infusions for Fibromyalgia pain and has it helped or harmed them?
Thanks

p.s I've already done a web search but only found this:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/forum/22648/1

It's really weird that it has been so useless because I once tried lidocaine cream and that gave temporary mild pain relief. Don't know why this has been so useless

I took magnesium and xylocaine injections several times with no relief. I don't experience pain but I was way below normal magnesium levels. Later I took magnesium and taurine injections and what a difference in my energy level, I heard from others that it helped their FM pain. I don't know if you can purchase taurine from a compounding pharmacy and bring it into the clinic to combine with the mg. All you need is 1/2 cc of mg and 1 1/2 cc of taurine- no lidocaine needed since the taurine defuses the burning from the mg. You have to draw up the mg into the syringe first followed by the taurine so that the taurine enters the muscle first.

*GG*

I had a lidocaine infusion about 4 years ago now, I was in a really bad place (ended up out of work for nearly 3 months), massive pain 9 to 10 on a 10 scale. If I recall correctly, the pain decreased for me by 2 to 3, it helped me a lot. My pain was so bad I could not sleep, no sleep means you are going to get worse, at least not get better. Not sure if magnesium was included, but don't think so.

GG

I had a lidocaine infusion about 4 years ago now, I was in a really bad place (ended up out of work for nearly 3 months), massive pain 9 to 10 on a 10 scale. If I recall correctly, the pain decreased for me by 2 to 3, it helped me a lot. My pain was so bad I could not sleep, no sleep means you are going to get worse, at least not get better. Not sure if magnesium was included, but don't think so.

GG

How many Infusions did you have?
Did it help from the very first infusion?

I took magnesium and xylocaine injections several times with no relief. I don't experience pain but I was way below normal magnesium levels. Later I took magnesium and taurine injections and what a difference in my energy level, I heard from others that it helped their FM pain. I don't know if you can purchase taurine from a compounding pharmacy....

I read that xylocaine is the same as lidocaine.
Do you remember how many magnesium and xylocaine injections you took? Was it more than 5?
Do you really have absolutely zero pain with your ME?
Are you able to work, or not able to work like me?

Sorry for the questions. You don't have to anwer them if it is too personal. I am just desperate to hear of others who have done this.

Thanks for telling me about taurine and Mg infusions. I do not have access to them. I never heard of them before so I'm grateful that you told me about this.
I am not going to a clinic where people can let you have what you want in an infusion. It's a state paid hospital ward where I only have the choice of doing the lidocaine+Mg infusions or not doing them.
Please tell me if you remember how many magnesium+xylocaine injections you took. Any information is valuble. Thanks

Mij

Do you remember how many magnesium and xylocaine injections you took? Was it more than 5?
Do you really have absolutely zero pain with your ME?
Are you able to work, or not able to work like me?

Sorry for the questions. You don't have to anwer them if it is too personal. I am just desperate to hear of others who have done this.

Thanks for telling me about taurine and Mg infusions. I do not have access to them. I never heard of them before so I'm grateful that you told me about this.
I am not going to a clinic where people can let you have what you want in an infusion. It's a state paid hospital ward where I only have the choice of doing the lidocaine+Mg infusions or not doing them.
Please tell me if you remember how many magnesium+xylocaine injections you took. Any information is valuble. Thanks

Hi, there are many who have taken the shots, it was introduced by Dr.Cheney many years ago.
http://www.dfwcfids.org/medical/cheney/heart04.part2b.htm

When I was finally able to convince my Functional and Integrative doctor to rx me the shots I took them x3/week for 2 months and then off and on over the years. I took MANY. My doctor instructed my friend to give them to me because it was too hard for me to do and I was unable go to the clinic 3x/week.

I've had ME for 22yrs but I never experience pain, there is a small percentage of us who don't have pain.

No I have not been able to work for 22yrs. I have the relapsing type of ME, I have to stay within my boundaries or I get worse.

What I can suggest is to buy Taurine supplements and take them along with the Mg infusions. It may take some time to get some positive effects from the Mg but hang in there. I hope you can get relief soon.

Misfit Toy

Are these injections or infusions? Are they injections into the trigger points? They work for me only for about 2 weeks.

Infusions.
I decided not to do them in the end because I had no difference in pain after the first infusion.

I also found it too exhausting to have to get to the place. Just couldn't push myself to do it for 10 weeks. Exhaustion is a bigger symptom for me.

Thanks for writing because it makes me feel that I made the right decision.

*GG*

How many Infusions did you have?
Did it help from the very first infusion?

Sorry, haven't been on this site much lately. A PM/Conversation would have gotten my attention sooner. FYI (This applies to anyone on this forum!).

I only had 1 infusion into my blood stream.Yes, the very 1st infusion helped, knocked down teh pain 2 to 3 notches on a 10 scale. FYI

GG

pattismith

it may be that lidocains is more potent for neuropathic pains, as Lidocaine is a potent inhibitor of purinergic P2X7 receptor.

@Hip quoted here both systemic lidocaine and magnesium in his P2X7 inhibitors list.

Here a recent article (review) about lidocaine injections for neuropathic pains (full article free):

"Conclusions
Intravenous lidocaine and lidocaine patch are effective and safe for the treatment of several chronic or neuropathic pain syndromes. The use of lidocaine during surgery could prevent the development of some chronic post-surgical pain syndromes."

Last edited: