• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Mineral Testing

Sparrow

Sometimes it can also be the lack of another nutrient needed as a co-factor. Potassium is needed for B12 utilization (and i think by a lot of other things, as well). B2 is needed for a lot of things including iron. Just taking more of the thing you are deficient in may not be the answer.

Agreed. And in a lot of cases, when a mineral shows up low in a hair test there may be plenty of it available, just not those other factors to get it into the tissues.

My regime is quite comprehensive, and timed to avoid as much competition for absorption as could reasonably be avoided. And where appropriate, I've kept the doses of certain things quite small, so as not to overstrain stores of others (e.g. B2 is often a limiting factor since only so much of it can be absorbed). I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I was having absorption issues due to gut problems, though. Will keep experimenting. :) It's always an ongoing process.

invisiblejungle

Can somebody tell me how to contact Christine? Her website doesn't seem to be up anymore.

I've been doing a lot of research on hair mineral analysis and am waiting for my ARL results. However, different practitioners have different approaches, and I'm curious to know more about Christine's methodology.

brenda

Hi

I have had numerous messages asking this question. Christine Heubner or Dog Person said she was taking a long vacation last summer and has not as far as I know, been heard of since, and her web site seems to be down. There were mentions of a serious illness.

A number of us followed her protocol but as time went on, had our supplements reduced to just manganese, which most of us found, had to be discontinued due to adverse symptoms. I was concerned that stored iron was being released too quickly for my body to detox so I stopped the manganese but am back to taking b2.

She ended up taking on too many of us but I do believe she was on to something important but did not have enough expertise to help us. Its a pity that her ideas were not able to be investigated more fully here.

I would not recomend anyone to take up with her however as she proved difficult to deal with and thought too much along the one size fits all.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I thought that Christine had told me that she would post the research paper on her website when it was published. I have been checking the website from time to time for it. When the website was gone last month, I e-mailed Christine asking about the paper, but also because I was concerned about her health.

There is no paper yet. They are still researching. They were just then starting a new 10 dog study. I think this was because of some new, unexpected information. That can happen when you do real research without preordained results.

She is still working with one person with ME/CFS. I assume that is the person she was working with before she came here. If they figure out anything definitive, maybe that person will share it somewhere online.

She took down the website because she was still getting requests for hair analysis even though the site said she was currently doing only research. Since she is continuing to do research, I assume she is in reasonable good health.

I asked her to let me know if the paper was available online, once it was published. If she does, I will share that here.

taniaaust1

Is there a hair-mineral analysis lab that users here can vouch for?

Thanks

http://www.interclinical.com.au/ourservice.php (you can get a very large report with the analyses including dietary recommendations for whatever they find and it also includes all the symptoms your various findings can give). I went onto supplements due to what was shown in my report to be deficient and it was very helpful to me... only one of the minerals I was deficient in on the test hasnt helped (maybe I arent taking enough thou, I need restesting) but the other two supplements I took due to my test result findings have brought good changes :) .

Little Bluestem

Trace Elements, Inc is one of two labs that got good results in a test several years ago. I cannot remember the other lab.

brenda

I have just read through this thread again after finding out that Christine's site is down again, and no paper yet which is disappointing..

I am still taking B2 and feel it is beneficial but have been scared off manganese. Has anyone any news about her?

*GG*

I am still taking B2 and feel it is beneficial but have been scared off manganese. Has anyone any news about her?

I recently read that the bacteria of Lyme, not sure if it was specific, but if I recall correctly, the bacteria use managanese as an energy source, the research was done in MA, Woods Hole Institute.

GG

I decided to look for the link, here it is:

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=7545&tid=3622&cid=164869

Little Bluestem

@#$%!, I was able to read Christine's Google blog previously without a Google account. Maybe because I followed a link from her old site?

Lou

No idea, it's not something I'm at all interested in reading :p

I agree completely, Val. I think her advice dodgy, at best, and regret following it. Perhaps coincidental, but after avoiding it through many years and many separate tick bites I got Lyme last summer (see gg's post above regarding manganese and Lyme connection.

For what it may or may not be worth, I read, though have forgotten where, a connection also between high b2 intake and Lyme.

Lyme is NOT something you want to take any higher risk of contracting. I had no idea what a awful thing it is to deal with on top of ME/cfs.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Little Bluestem
thanks for that. the following is just general musings - not aimed at you.

just wanted to say, and not wanting to re-start a negative thing - my opinion only.
I think DP is a very caring and clever person. She came on here trying to help, obviously not understanding the complexities of the illness and the differences - Lyme - herpes viruses etc.., and this was the biggest problem. However she is not interested in furthering a business, financial gain or career.
When I think of all the docs I've seen who haven't a clue - she at least had more understanding of a hair mineral chart.
Her love of dogs is evident and that's what drives her - her heart is in the right place, more than I can say for a lot of people.
FWIW - to those who don't believe in hair mineral testing - my recent one showed high levels of arsenic - now as rice has been a staple in my diet for the past 4/5 yrs no wonder with the recent findings of high arsenic levels in rice.
I don't know whether its what the body is excreting or stored levels, my understanding is still scant, but still useful in that I've now cut rice practically out of my diet.

brenda

maryb

I have gone the other way and have added a lot of rice into my diet despite high levels in my hair. I did a lot of research and read what macrobiotic researchers have said, and became convinced that it has been overhyped and the amount found from non pesticided areas, are within the Chinese safe level which many think of as the bench mark (arsenic is found in many foods). I soak it and cook in a large pan of water rather than pressure cook though. If I was being poisoned some more I think that I would not be healing, which is what is happening atm. I am seeing symptoms disappear on my high grain diet.

Not wanting to start another row over Dog Person, I must say however that I don't come to the same conclusion in retrospect. I think that it was all about her ego. She wanted to prove her theories correct and it is more important to her than financial gain - she is probably rich anyway judging by the way she feeds her dogs. She is clever no doubt and is right about certain things concerning energy production, due to her experiences improving her own health and her dogs, and I did learn from her especially to view food as my medicine primarily.

I have come to this conclusion after the way she just dumped us who were needing her advice and help.