• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acyclovir

There's no way to be absolutely sure that your symptoms are due to any particular thing. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with the limited information you can get.

That could be enough to stop you from taking Valcyte. Probably a good thing you're not sure you need it or want to take it. ;)

But that's not a good thing that I can't take Valcyte because of my WBC count.......if I really need it and have an active infection I am SOL??? :)

SOC

But that's not a good thing that I can't take Valcyte because of my WBC count.......if I really need it and have an active infection I am SOL??? :)

As I recall, you didn't want to take it anyway. :) You might want to look into Famvir or Cidovir infusions.

As I recall, you didn't want to take it anyway. :) You might want to look into Famvir or Cidovir infusions.

No I did not want to but if it one of my inly choices than I would try it with frequent blood test. I guess I will try (3) of the 1G Valtrex tablets a day for 2-3 months and see if it is helping

jimells

WHo said it WON'T work?

Nobody said Valtrex definitely won't work, but the consensus here suggests the odds are not good. The HHV-6 foundation does not include it in its list of treatments:

http://hhv-6foundation.org/clinicians/hhv-6-treatment

I couldn't find any PubMed articles that support using Valtrex for active HHV-6 infections, although there were a few articles discussing its use to prevent these infections in transplant patients.

Thanks.....gonna try the Valcyte ....gonna give the Vatrex a few days to get out of my sytstem before going on the Valycte....hope my WBC don't drop.

No, acyclovir is different though they are related. Valacyclovir (Valtrex) is the prodrug to acyclovir.

I took acyclovir for a while and it didn't do much for me. I have done much better with Valtrex personally.

I understand your concern over Valcyte but I think that is a good option for HHV6 as long as you monitor your liver function. If I hadn't ended up on cidofovir IV, I would have done Valcyte for my EBV/HHV6/CMV infections for sure.

Ema

I still never understood whats the difference between acyclovir and valacyclovir?

Hello! I am taking acyclocir for 1 week. 400mg * 4 times per day. 1600 daily. And i am feeling very sick on it (temperature, sore throat ..etc). One day i didnt take ayclovir at the night and on the next morning i did not have temperature. When i took it again - i felt sick again.
What should i do? Continue take it or stop?

SOC

Hello! I am taking acyclocir for 1 week. 400mg * 4 times per day. 1600 daily. And i am feeling very sick on it (temperature, sore throat ..etc). One day i didnt take ayclovir at the night and on the next morning i did not have temperature. When i took it again - i felt sick again.
What should i do? Continue take it or stop?
I suggest you call your prescribing doc and ask. It could be something unsafe for you OR it could be something you could push through. Your doc probably has a better idea of which it is than anyone here is likely to. :)

SOC

So, I'm back on Valcyte. **sigh**

For me, Valtrex did not keep the HHV6 suppressed for more than a couple of years. We knocked the HHV6 back into latency with 2 years of Valcyte treatment. The hope was that Valtrex could keep it in latency, but it didn't work for me for more than a couple of years, so the HHV6 is reactivated again. That is unusual apparently, but not unheard of. Fortunately, we caught it early this time so it should be easier to shove it back into latency than it was the first time. [fingers crossed]

I guess this is my opportunity to put my money where my mouth is. ;)
I'd take Valcyte again, bad stretch and all.

Christopher

So, I'm back on Valcyte. **sigh**

For me, Valtrex did not keep the HHV6 suppressed for more than a couple of years. We knocked the HHV6 back into latency with 2 years of Valcyte treatment. The hope was that Valtrex could keep it in latency, but it didn't work for me for more than a couple of years, so the HHV6 is reactivated again. That is unusual apparently, but not unheard of. Fortunately, we caught it early this time so it should be easier to shove it back into latency than it was the first time. [fingers crossed]

I guess this is my opportunity to put my money where my mouth is. ;)
What valtrex dose were you using?