• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeking input in my 23andme results

For my VDR snp wich form of vitD supplementation would be better?? Calcitriol or D3??? Do you have idea of what would be an appropriate dose?? Having myself low vitD, should this mean i am at more risk having as well this VDR snp? My level of vitD in february were 11,6 ng/ml
It sounds like D3 is generally the best form to supplement. As far as dose goes, it's safe to go up to 10,000 IU per day, and possibly higher.

Your low vitamin D issues and slow VDR issues are caused separately, but low vitamin D can aggravate the VDR issue. The treatment for both issues is also the same - D3 supplementation.

Regarding that study of CBS and the exaggerated yeast, can you link me to it? Being homozigous for it I have some interest ;)
Yasko's file on the subject is at http://dramyyasko.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/31-A1-CBS.pdf . She seems to be quoting a research proposal for the 10x upregulation claim, not an actual published paper, so it's hard to tell what it's referring to. The best guess is that the upregulation claim comes from this study: http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/10/6/635.long

trollo

Yasko's file on the subject is at http://dramyyasko.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/31-A1-CBS.pdf . She seems to be quoting a research proposal for the 10x upregulation claim, not an actual published paper, so it's hard to tell what it's referring to. The best guess is that the upregulation claim comes from this study: http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/10/6/635.long

Hi, i looked at a LiveWello sample, and i noticed the rsID of a few snps that aren t on the gene genie result. First of all seems i am ACE Del16 hetero
ACE rs4343 version AG
then, i noticed that there is also a DHFR snp between methylation snps in the sample. Mine too is hetero
DHFR rs1643649 version CT
My 23andMe also contains some SUOX rs705703, i5000977, i5000976

Are these SNPs important??

Hi, i looked at a LiveWello sample, and i noticed the rsID of a few snps that aren t on the gene genie result. First of all seems i am ACE Del16 hetero
ACE rs4343 version AG
then, i noticed that there is also a DHFR snp between methylation snps in the sample. Mine too is hetero
DHFR rs1643649 version CT
My 23andMe also contains some SUOX rs705703, i5000977, i5000976

Are these SNPs important??
ACE rs3434 is relevant, though calling it "Del16" is misleading, since it's not a deletion allele - in fact, it doesn't change the protein structure at all.

DHFR rs1643649 is barely significant in one study. The heterozygous version might not have any effect.

There's no indication that SUOX rs705703 does anything. The two i numbers don't have rsIDs at their location on the NIH site, so there's no data on them at all.

trollo

Watch/read all the links in my signature starting with the Methylation Made Easy videos and you'll know a lot more on how to proceed. Don't just start taking stuff without knowing what you're doing or you can make yourself worse.

In general, you would start with SHMT and ACAT, then you should be able to move on to MTHFR, MTRR, and BHMT. There's a nice chart in Yasko's new Simplified Roadmap (link below) that summarizes what kind of B12 to take based on your COMT and VDR combination. With COMT, you have to be careful not to crank up B12 too high or you can get mood swings.

ACAT is complex to treat. Yasko makes an all in one supplement combination for ACAT that you may want to consider. It sounds expensive, but when you think of all the separate supplements you would have to take instead, it's actually cost effective. Plus you only have to take one pill instead of 9, which is great if you're not a good pill swallower. http://www.holisticheal.com/acat-bhmt.html

Definitely save BH4 until the very end, and only if necessary.

If you're overwhelmed with all of this, you may be able to find a doc to consult with via phone/Skype at the MTHFRsupport.com doctors list. http://www.mthfrsupport.com/practitioner-2/

Caledonia, do you have idea about for how long these ACAT/BHMT caps should be assumed?? Spending 140 $ every 3 monthes, plus other supps it s an impossible expense unless you re a millionaire! The SHMT spray is also very expensive and lasts less than 1 month!

caledonia

First you may want to make sure they're actually expressed -

SHMT and/or ACAT mutations: Consider addressing these first if you or your child have any of the following test results: elevated iron on a UEE test, Short Chain Fatty Acid (SCFA) imbalances on a CSA test, suberic, beta hydroxyl methylglutaric acid, or other ketone and fatty acid metabolites imbalances on a MAP or OAT test; or if there are severe gut issues or muscle weakness (which can be related to aluminum retention)

If you have SHMT/ACAT, treating those first, then working on the gut will help with the gut issues. If you just worked on the gut without treating SHMT/ACAT, it may not be successful, or as successful.

I can't find where Yasko says specifically how long to stay on the ACAT/SHMT supps, but it sounds like to me that once your gut is in good shape, you could discontinue.

The MTHFRsupport people just mention working on the gut if you have SHMT/ACAT and not doing the other supplementation.

Anyway, I think this would be a good question to ask on the Yasko forum. The moms over there have a lot of experience and are happy to answer questions http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB3/welcome.html

However, if you have trouble with kidney stones, I believe I would stay on bile salts and a low oxalate diet permanently to help prevent them.

trollo

First you may want to make sure they're actually expressed -

SHMT and/or ACAT mutations: Consider addressing these first if you or your child have any of the following test results: elevated iron on a UEE test, Short Chain Fatty Acid (SCFA) imbalances on a CSA test, suberic, beta hydroxyl methylglutaric acid, or other ketone and fatty acid metabolites imbalances on a MAP or OAT test; or if there are severe gut issues or muscle weakness (which can be related to aluminum retention)

If you have SHMT/ACAT, treating those first, then working on the gut will help with the gut issues. If you just worked on the gut without treating SHMT/ACAT, it may not be successful, or as successful.

I can't find where Yasko says specifically how long to stay on the ACAT/SHMT supps, but it sounds like to me that once your gut is in good shape, you could discontinue.

The MTHFRsupport people just mention working on the gut if you have SHMT/ACAT and not doing the other supplementation.

Anyway, I think this would be a good question to ask on the Yasko forum. The moms over there have a lot of experience and are happy to answer questions http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB3/welcome.html

However, if you have trouble with kidney stones, I believe I would stay on bile salts and a low oxalate diet permanently to help prevent them.

Well i ordered 1 bottle of ACAT/BHMT. The point is IF i will continue it after the first 3 monthes... Actually, yes, i did a stool test and have low beneficial SCFAs and very low n-Butyrate, and some bacterial imbalances. I think i have a mild muscle weakness problem, but i m able to go to gym anyway. I also tested for EFAs in red blood cells last year and was very low on ALA (linolenic) and EPA.
I tried several times to register to Yasko forum, but there s no way they send to me the confirmation mail...

trollo

I too wonder about looking if snps are expressed.. For the A1298c i thought i could test for phenilalanine, but maybe it s not enough. I can t afford to test for the whole ammino acids range...

I just watched this video with Dr. Ben Lynch and other docs. They discuss vitamin D somewhere in the first half of the video, starting at 28 minutes in, regarding VDR Taq and Bsm. Anyways, Dr. Lynch states that more vitamin D is not necessarily better. He simply states that "we don't know" what the effects are to supplementing higher than 10,000 I.U daily of vit. D. Just thought it was an interesting video. Personally, I've never used more than 5,000 IU/day of vit. D. Hope some of you find this interesting or helpful!

Caledonia, do you have idea about for how long these ACAT/BHMT caps should be assumed?? Spending 140 $ every 3 monthes, plus other supps it s an impossible expense unless you re a millionaire! The SHMT spray is also very expensive and lasts less than 1 month!
trollo Have you used the SHMT spray yourself yet? I just ordered it and am excited to get this party started! : )

xrayspex

hey I havent been to this forum for awhile...but have a question about this thread because 23me caught my eye because I just bought their genetic test for $99, I didnt notice they have the one you are talking about here, this thread reads like a Yasko group forum---but I am assuming the 23&me I get back (once I get around to sending in my spit) is going to tell me what diseases I am genetically predisposed vulnerable to.....I dont feel like I have brain power to get into all this mthfckr stuff :) altho it intrigues me because it probly relates to why I cant eat eggs and garlic etc w/out feeling sick in the last 10ish years.....
anyone send in the 23&me test that tells you which diseases yr prone to??

hey I havent been to this forum for awhile...but have a question about this thread because 23me caught my eye because I just bought their genetic test for $99, I didnt notice they have the one you are talking about here, this thread reads like a Yasko group forum---but I am assuming the 23&me I get back (once I get around to sending in my spit) is going to tell me what diseases I am genetically predisposed vulnerable to.....I dont feel like I have brain power to get into all this mthfckr stuff :) altho it intrigues me because it probly relates to why I cant eat eggs and garlic etc w/out feeling sick in the last 10ish years.....
anyone send in the 23&me test that tells you which diseases yr prone to??
23andMe does one test which gives all of the raw data. And on their site they then list a bunch of known disease and risk factors. If you want methylation or rare SNP data, you have to go to a different site which processes your 23andMe file and gives you the relevant results.

Regarding Yasko, I think a lot of her interpretations are incorrect and/or baseless.

xrayspex

thanks V, I had assumed it would be a printout with something like "parkinsons= yay or nay"
Hope I can figure it out
interesting what you say about Yasko, that was just first place I was exposed to this sort of discussion, thru the old yahoo experimental etc groups

trollo

Probably Yasko or her supporters would reply that the remission of many people issues should guarantee about her protocol's scientific validity... i wonder: there are any prooves of these miraculously cured Autistic children, Alzheimer's, or CFS's??? I know in this forum somebody tried her protocol claiming miraculous improvements but this person refuse to share any prooves because of "privacy" issues... Is any of Yasko patients concerned about "privacy" or somebody out there gave some more substancial elements?

Kimsie

Hi Trollo,

I only have comments regarding depression. MTHFR 1298 lowers your ability to maintain BH4. BH4 is a co-factor in the conversion of tryptophan to 5-htp. 5-htp is converted to serotonin in the body, so you have trouble making enough serotonin which accounts for your problems with depression. MAO A +/+ means that you don't break down serotonin as quickly as people who don't have this variation so this may balance out the 1298 gene to some extent. You can bypass the BH4 problem with serotonin by taking 5-htp, but that may or may not lead to mood swings due to the MAO A mutation, I don't have enough information to know, so if you take 5-htp you should probably take small amounts frequently as you learn how you react to it. If you just break open a capsule you can take any amount sublingually (under the tongue) and it works faster that way and is a little less likely to cause diarrhea from increased bowel motility.

Because of your gut issues, histamine may be an issue. My son has gut bacteria that produces a lot of histamine causing him to feel depressed, but we have found ways to alleviate the depression while we work on getting rid of the bad organisms in his gut. Die off makes his depression much worse. I have discovered that high histamine levels divert 5-htp from serotonin production. I think this is because 5-htp has been shown to scavenge the hydroxy radical that is produced during inflammation - and histamine causes inflammation.

You should not take 5-htp if you are taking antidepressants.

I hope this information helps!

Hello everybody here. I m new to this forum. I recently had my 23andMe results and had no idea of what supplements should i assume on the base of my results. A friend of mine told me that here there were people able to help me. I live in Italy and i'm not able to find a Dr who treat this kind of things...

These are my results:

As homoziogous:

MTHFR A1298C
VDR Bsm
MAO-A R297R
BHMT-02
BHMT-04
BHMT-08

As heterozigous:

COMT V158M
COMT H62H
ACAT1-02
MTRR A66G
MTRR A664A
SHMT1 C1420T

I don't understand if i can proceed with Metafolin and methylB12 or if i should not because of other polymorphisms... Genetic genie is not totally clear. Also i m concerned about any possible risks. Also about BH4, is it risky or not??? Some claim researches found it very safe, but i read in the ben Lynch forum of a person who got eyes hemorrhage because of BH4...
I m a possible adrenal exhaustion sufferer (did saliva test), and possible leaky gut. Long time depression sufferer, and since some years i suffer of fatigue and lethargy. I never had benefits from antidepressants.
Last year i followed a theraphy of supplements: B6 200mg, folic acid 2.5 mg, b12 2000mcg, magnesium 800mg, zinc 50 mg, fish oil and flax seed oil. All without benefit. Instead i got a long (5 monthes) mild fever, but i can not be sure it was related to supplements. I recently found out that VitC helps me with fatigue/lethargy, but just 250 mg x day, if i take 500 mg or more i got sleep problems...

trollo

hi Kimsie. thanks for response. Yes i know about mthfr a1298c, but the problem is that the connection with low bh4 levels it is not generally accepted nor supported by numerous studies, in fact it seems just the opinion of a few alternative drs like Yasko. I'm actually assuming 30mg of 5-htp 3 times x day and yes it improoved a bit my mood, it made me more serene but did nothing on my lack of motivation. I suspect maybe my depression could be caused more by a lack of dopamine than serotonine, or both. But these as well are not widespread psychiatric opinions but just 'alternative' ideas... I tested for histamine last year, because i contacted a Pfeiffer old school Doctor, and it was in perfect normal range. I don't think histamine is a problem for me.