• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Leg pain which becomes back and arm pain too!

Plum

Hi

I am trying to get my head around this leg pain I've been having for about 6 months now. It feels like my legs are cramping although there is no tight ball in them.

I have it all day long but it is usually bearable and often becomes worse when I lie down.

When it's really bad then I seem to get the same pain in my back and arms. It also feels very similar to the aching you get with the flu.

It feels like muscle pain rather than a joint issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have considered:

dehydration - I drink more water now then I did when I first got it so that doesn't seem a problem. (I don't drink tea or coffee etc)

magnesium - supplements don't help

potassium - supplements don't help

It gets so bad that I sometimes can't sleep.

It is worse after a Perrin therapy session - lymphatic drainage and osteopathy.

Any help or ideas would be wonderful

Thank you

Otis

Señor Mumbler
This sounds pretty familiar. I've had a progression from legs to back to arms myself. Outside of high powered medications which only take the edge off for me I've got one alternative. What has worked for me is lidocaine. You might try lidoderm patches. If they work, you might try a compound with lidocaine in a transdermal gel because the stupid patches are a hassle. I've posted details on the gel I've used, which you should be able to find with a search.

Best of luck,
Otis

Lillybelle

taniaaust1

It gets so bad that I sometimes can't sleep.

I dont know if you've tried this or it would help in your case but some of my leg pains are eased a little by having my legs up on a pillow as Im sleeping.

Muscle pain like that can be a sign that you are overdoing it.. and a build up of lactic acid. One study showed that some CFS patients had up to 300 times higher then normal amount happening (if Im remembering correctly, it was some ridiculous high amount). If you want to find that study, I think it may of been one done by the Adelaide CFS research group.

Plum

I dont know if you've tried this or it would help in your case but some of my leg pains are eased a little by having my legs up on a pillow as Im sleeping.

Muscle pain like that can be a sign that you are overdoing it.. and a build up of lactic acid. One study showed that some CFS patients had up to 300 times higher then normal amount happening (if Im remembering correctly, it was some ridiculous high amount). If you want to find that study, I think it may of been one done by the Adelaide CFS research group.

Thanks for the suggestions

I have tried having my legs up on pillows but they actually felt more achy. Someone suggested I try making sure the pillows are under my feet and not higher up but it doesn't help. I keep meaning to try a relaxing yoga pose where you put yr legs up the wall for 10 mins.

It does feel like a lactate issue - or at least feels like my legs used to when I did that thing called exercise!

Plum

Hi Plum,
I have another natural alternative for you, good for leg pain but also back, gluteal pain.
A hardish foam roller, about 1 metre long. I can roll out my leg muscles and back muscles. Painful at the time but worth it as you feel like you've had a massage. Also promotes feelings of wellbeing.
http://www.physiosupplies.com.au/rehabilitation/foam-rollers.html?gclid=CKPh292C2bgCFUlfpQodvA8ANg
I would suggest the longer ones.

I keep meaning to buy one of them but it's a little low on my list of things to buy! I should put it higher up so thank you for reminding me :)