• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Pet Health

golden

I have fleas !!!!

:)

Last time I checked, I had a bad reaction to chemical flea treatments. (although I am much better with chemicals now - there is some debate about just how toxic frontline, advantage flea treatments are - it is possible they cause neurological problems).

One make of dog flea treatment was actually poisonous to cats and a Vet nurse once put it together that her mums cat had been licking and grooming the dog only to become violently ill).

Lavender essential oil can be good for dogs and bad for cats - so it needs careful planning.

The best plan I have is no carpets and Hoover Hoover and Hoover... comb as many off as possible - the rest will jump of animals to lay eggs.

http://www.alternativevet.org/flea_control.htm

Ema

This doesn't exactly fit into "natural" remedies but I use Trifexis for my dog. It is a pill given once a month. So that is good because it doesn't leave any residue to be licked off. It also works for heartworm prevention.

Ema

golden

This doesn't exactly fit into "natural" remedies but I use Trifexis for my dog. It is a pill given once a month. So that is good because it doesn't leave any residue to be licked off. It also works for heartworm prevention.

Ema

Ema,

Is this the stuff mentioned in my link above ? ( http://www.alternativevet.org/flea_control.htm)

" *Dealing with Fleas*

There are many flea-killing chemicals on the market and there are various programmes offered, involving house and animal treatments. These chemicals are powerful substances, which have not been about long enough to be *certain of their safety*, especially in an ageing or frail animal. Some recent reports of possible *nerve toxicity* are of concern.

There is even an internal chemical offered, to be given by mouth to your dog. This controls the breeding/fertility of fleas. This seems to be a very 'blunt instrument'!*"

???

I was wondering what it was - if it is , thanks for answering my question ! ha ha :)

golden

I'll ask my vet about it but we've not had any issues. Knock wood to avoid angering the gods!

Ema

From all accounts, the people are getting the trefexis from their vets who are actively promoting it.

There does seem to be some Vets who are reporting the deaths and seizures and at least one who has removed its use from their practice.

However other vets are just dismissing it and carrying on their sweet way.

At a guess then, if your Vet is prescribing it , the answer will be it is safe and effective if discussing it with them.

Glad your dog isnt dead or ill from it though :) It would be a rather crude solution to removing fleas !!! :)

Ayaju

Er, no accident your post, golden, showed up in my inbox? :thumbsup:
This shampoo I sell originated as a flea shampoo called Flea Flea (should have been called Flee Flea because it works so well!) It will cure your flea problem safely and naturally, I promise!
We only shampooed Jake the Dog with Best Kept Secrets; and even though he hated getting baths, our long haired shepherd/golden sure loved not having itchy fleas, and sure loved having luxurious fur!
Hope you're inspired!
Judy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Lice-t...281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c9fbbe01

Ema

From all accounts, the people are getting the trefexis from their vets who are actively promoting it.

There does seem to be some Vets who are reporting the deaths and seizures and at least one who has removed its use from their practice.

However other vets are just dismissing it and carrying on their sweet way.

At a guess then, if your Vet is prescribing it , the answer will be it is safe and effective if discussing it with them.

Glad your dog isnt dead or ill from it though :) It would be a rather crude solution to removing fleas !!! :)
No, she's not like that and the practice is VERY holistic. Cricket gets fewer vaccines than usual and laser acupuncture for example. I'd be happy to have the vet for my doc as she is extremely open minded. I value her opinion greatly though still the ultimate decision is my responsibility.

Ema

Plum

I have used cedar wood essential oil with some success but when things are bad I've had to turn to chemicals. Check our Dr. Karen Becker. She's under pets on mercola.com

I've heard food grade dimatacious earth (spelling?) is good too.

I raw fed and it suits us very well and helps a lot with over all health.

We are very alternative in how our Labrador is looked after. He gets homeopathy or friendly bacteria (doggy one) when ill. We only vaccinate if blood tests are low.

golden

I have used cedar wood essential oil with some success but when things are bad I've had to turn to chemicals. Check our Dr. Karen Becker. She's under pets on mercola.com

I've heard food grade dimatacious earth (spelling?) is good too.

I raw fed and it suits us very well and helps a lot with over all health.

We are very alternative in how our Labrador is looked after. He gets homeopathy or friendly bacteria (doggy one) when ill. We only vaccinate if blood tests are low.

Canine Health Concern is a valuable resource. I want to read the book : Shock to the System too.

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/DVD Info Pack.html

golden

No, she's not like that and the practice is VERY holistic. Cricket gets fewer vaccines than usual and laser acupuncture for example. I'd be happy to have the vet for my doc as she is extremely open minded. I value her opinion greatly though still the ultimate decision is my responsibility.

Ema

Oh , I see.

I would also be interested in her opinion of it too.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I used the frontline flea treatment on my old dog recently, I was feeling quite bad and she was scratching like hell (only a short coat) so I did it........... She went off her food immediately - this lasted for 2 weeks and she was definitely not her usual self - we just know...
I said last time I used it I thought things weren't right - something in it affects my dogs negatively but I will never ever ever use it again.
There was an interesting item about neem somewhere on Pr - I may check that out. Also this BKS looks good but I don't want the hassle of a shampoo - just something to put on her coat.

Plum

homeopathy works well when pets are adversely affected by things they're given. Although you need to find a vet who can offer it. It's cheap and works very well. I've used it for adverse reactions to vaccines.

golden

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/09/30/neutering-health-risks.aspx

Thanks Plum for the tip ...

I think Dr. Becker is great. I really am aligned with this Vet and have had a similar life path/lessons , just so sad she is not in the UK.

Misc. Tips:

Update : I have mastered my aversion to the word 'broth ' - and dug out my slow cooker .. and make
bone broth for my animals now! Cheap and Nutritious (NEVER feeding the cooked bones)

My cats are 50/50 over it as they go wild for raw ...

my dogs love it !!!

I think i had too much fat in so i will try for a clearer broth and include chicken feet and necks.

I froze some in ice trays too.

*I have found Dr.Myhills Neem Shampoo works a treat on fleas. I am *pretty* sure its safe for animals.

*There is a UK list of Vets offering keyhole surgery.

Best,
Golden :)

peggy-sue

I've heard that London cat fleas are now resistant to frontline;

Muzzy (one of our cats) certainly wasn't right after she'd had to be given it - and she got a bald patch on her head.

And because they end up covered in the stuff for 4-5 weeks afterwards, I can't touch them - which is horrible for all of us.

My brother (when in London) ended up using a silicon based spray stuff which suffocates the fleas, it seems to work quite well but can take a bit of time and does involve a fair amount of combing.

I dread the cat flea season. The horrible blighters prefer me to the cats. I'm itching just thinking about ito_O

golden

Ha Ha :)

Fleas do seem to have their years when they are living it up - are in abundance . :)

The resistance element is similar to antibiotics, I feel.
I just dont want to be treating every month or as a precaution. Will save the chemicals for emergency only...

I am going to have to do a multi - tackle package approach.

During Winter, I intend to fully explore all the avenues, different flea traps, diacotomius earth, homeopathic sulfur 30x , essential oils, get the who le area prepared herb bushes to repel .... but i have to check for both cats and dogs safety as natural products are not always safe for both.

Best
Golden

Warning:
If using spot on products - Please remember *** dog flea products Kill Cats*** Even sometimes through the skin of the dog if the dog and cat are close companions.

peggy-sue

I don't do preventative flea measures - the stuff worries me too much.

I just cross all my bits every year, and hope, and hope, and hope they don't get them!:rolleyes:

I also inspect the cats regularly for flea droppings. They are most likely to be found towards the rear of the cat - or around cosy bits like their necks.
These are tiny black specks, but if you drop them in water, a blood-coloured trail will come from them.

If I suspect there might be fleas in the bed, I tackle it with a bar of wetted soap.
The blighters stick to wet soap - they can't jump away.:thumbsup:

(I don't use "essential oils" for anything. I hate the smells and they can cause tons of sensitivity problems.)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Anyone use a good dog wormer? My oldie has a problem with her bottom, just wondering if it could be worms. Vet has looked at her anal glands 3 times now and its not them sooooooo.
I used to be on top of all this when I was well, Feel quite guilty - she's not comfortable, why on earth didn't the vet suggest it last week, and now its weekend and she's not much better, maybe a little.....
They gave me painkillers and diazapam of all things for her - I gave her 2.5mg and she nearly fell over when she tried to stand up - that will not be repeated, sometimes I wonder if they know what they're doing.

It doesn't help when my brain doesn't work and I can't apply it like I would have done at one time.

golden

Maryb,

I understand
with her being a goldie oldie, i wouldn't like to say. I wouldn't like to mess around with wormers, chemical/herbal/garlic without having a clearer picture.

If she was my dog, I wouldn't be satisfied with first opinion (x3) and would seek a referral to a Holistic Vet.

The best one I know ofand recommend in the UK is :

http://www.alternativevet.org/mainmenu.htm

He can skype if necessary. But in person is best. esp. for an initial visit.

Wishing her well ..... :)

A few weeks ago one of my dogs came down with what I believe was kennel cough. Its been in the area and is a pretty distinctive hacking cough. (but I accept it might not have been and it was not officially diagnosed )

Whilst trying to organise a trip to a local vet (dread local vets) - i had to wait for my friend all morning. I researched the internet and matched her symptoms with Aconite. I caught it early.

I was fortunate to have the remedies in too which helped time wise - gave her HOMEOPATHIC Aconite 6c, 30c, 200c. and some rescue remedy.

(good dose of rescue remedy for me too!)

I don't even agree with myself for giving more than one remedy at a time - but it absolubtely worked and the cough quickly vanished never to return.

Last edited: