• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Period pain

Plum

Hi

I was wondering what women are using for period pain - cramps, as well as heavy flow and bad clotting.

I used to take mefenamic acid.

I have also tried a Chinese Herbal remedy which was working quite well but I am now trying out co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine).

My pain puts me in bed for 2-3 days, doubled over and crying even when on painkillers.

I'm trying to find something that works but also isn't disastrous for my gut (NSAID's) or finances!

Plum

Yeah I have it unfortunately shuts down natural production of progesterone. I have low progesterone as it is and the cream had a really bad affect on me but thanks for the suggestion. I know it works for a lot of people.

SOC

Sounds like endometriosis, which you should probably have looked into. Heavy bleeding, severe pain, and bad clotting is associated with uterine polyps which should probably be biopsied (if you have them). Those are not symptoms that you should ignore or let slide.

Plum

Thanks. It's not something that is looked into over here very easily. I've had it ever since my first period so it seems it is just the way I am - my Mum was the same.

Ema

Yeah I have it unfortunately shuts down natural production of progesterone. I have low progesterone as it is and the cream had a really bad affect on me but thanks for the suggestion. I know it works for a lot of people.
It shouldn't shut down your natural production until you have a sufficient amount. High progesterone levels can cause the pituitary to stop making LH, but this won't happen while your levels are low. Anything you take exogenously will only add to your level until that point.

Estrogen dominance can make for some awful periods.

That said, if it makes you feel bad, don't take it!

You could also try pregnenolone which is one step above progesterone or Vitex which can support the entire HPO axis.

Magnesium spray applied directly to your abdomen may help ease the symptoms of the cramps.

Ema

waiting

Some suggestions you could run by your doctor:

Courtesy of a Gynecologist, a guest speaker on Dr. Oz, try taking Tylenol ... but ... The key is to start it the MOMENT your period begins, then take every 4-6 hours during, as needed. The timing makes all the difference.

Also, magnesium glycinate (Metagenics if you can get it is good) ... but again ... Timing is key ...begin taking it (or increasing it, if you already take it) a couple of days before your period is due .. increase up to, but not beyond bowel tolerance (trial and error to find out where this point is).

Heating pad.

Hope this helps.

SOC

Thanks. It's not something that is looked into over here very easily. I've had it ever since my first period so it seems it is just the way I am - my Mum was the same.

Yup. That would be consistent with a familial tendency to endometriosis. ;) Many women just live with it because it's always been that way for them. That doesn't mean it isn't a condition that needs investigating, especially if you are planning to have children or are peri-menopausal.

My grandmother died of a slow-growing cancer of the reproductive system because she never had her severe cramping, and heavy bleeding and clotting checked out. It could have been (relatively) easily treated decades earlier -- and she wouldn't have suffered decades of pain and heavy bleeding before the cancer developed.

PDXhausted

This is going to sound crazy, but apples really help my menstrual cramps. I wouldn't categorize my cramps as severe or causing me to be doubled over, but they are moderately painful. Several apples throughout the day is as effective as ibuprofen for me. I have no idea why, maybe the malic acid?

GracieJ

About six inches up the inside of your leg from the ankle, there is a great acupressure point that will be tender during that time of the month. I usually place my opposite heel against it in bed with the intent of switching to the other side in about ten minutes... usually fall asleep without ever switching, it works so well.

L'engle

moogle
I discovered that very strong raspberry leaf tea or tincture reduces my period bleeding hugely. I was seriously amazed. It helped with the cramping to a certain extent as well. I want to make sure I always have it now. If you get the teea make sure it's very aromatic and has a good colour. I had a batch that was dull coloured and weak smelling and it didn't work. I guess the active ingredient decays after a time. I've only takken it for one month so far and apparently it helps more as you keep taking it. Hope you can get some relief!

Plum

It shouldn't shut down your natural production until you have a sufficient amount. High progesterone levels can cause the pituitary to stop making LH, but this won't happen while your levels are low. Anything you take exogenously will only add to your level until that point.

Estrogen dominance can make for some awful periods.

That said, if it makes you feel bad, don't take it!

You could also try pregnenolone which is one step above progesterone or Vitex which can support the entire HPO axis.

Magnesium spray applied directly to your abdomen may help ease the symptoms of the cramps.

Ema

For me it shut down the small amount of progesterone I was making. It doesn't commonly do it but it did for me.

Yr right about vitex and it does work well for me so thanks for the reminder. And that sounds good to put magnesium oil on my tummy - I hadn't thought of that.

Oestrogen dominance does cause so many problems. I am finding flax seeds are helping with some of those symptoms.

Plum

Yup. That would be consistent with a familial tendency to endometriosis. ;) Many women just live with it because it's always been that way for them. That doesn't mean it isn't a condition that needs investigating, especially if you are planning to have children or are peri-menopausal.

My grandmother died of a slow-growing cancer of the reproductive system because she never had her severe cramping, and heavy bleeding and clotting checked out. It could have been (relatively) easily treated decades earlier -- and she wouldn't have suffered decades of pain and heavy bleeding before the cancer developed.

Thanks for the info. My Mum had endometrial hyperplasia and I think I do too. Too much oestrogen. I am working on it and trying to lower it with flax seeds, diet and reducing xenoestrogens but so far the pain persists.

The pain is mainly caused by prostaglandins.

L'engle I shall try the raspberry tea.

Ema thanks fro the pregnenalone suggestion but it's not something I'm going to manage to get my hands on. I tried the natural prog cream as I could buy it myself. The NHS is hard work to get stuff from especially when they don't take you seriously. I tend to pick my battles with them carefully as it's always an uphill struggle.

I actually have clinically low progesterone which even an Endocrinologist said was low but all I was offered was the contraceptive pill. They don't view progesterone as having a function unless yr pregnant - their words not mine!

Sasha

Fine, thank you

I went to the well woman clinic at my GP's surgery about my heavy bleeding and was referred for a scan which showed a number of fibroids which were likely to be causing it. At my age they'll go away on their own but if you're younger you might want them treated. I agree you should ask for this to be checked out. Try asking your GP for a referral either within the surgery to the well woman clinic or to a consultant gynaecologist.

Plum

I went to the well woman clinic at my GP's surgery about my heavy bleeding and was referred for a scan which showed a number of fibroids which were likely to be causing it. At my age they'll go away on their own but if you're younger you might want them treated. I agree you should ask for this to be checked out. Try asking your GP for a referral either within the surgery to the well woman clinic or to a consultant gynaecologist.

Thanks for the info. I did have a pelvic scan not too long ago that didn't show up anything. My Mum had fibroids and ended up having a hysterectomy.
Usually there is no underlying cause for heavy, painful periods if you've had them since your first cycle apart from hormonal. When they suddenly get heavy or painful then yes there is a cause.

taniaaust1

Hi

I was wondering what women are using for period pain - cramps, as well as heavy flow and bad clotting.

I used to take mefenamic acid.

I have also tried a Chinese Herbal remedy which was working quite well but I am now trying out co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine).

My pain puts me in bed for 2-3 days, doubled over and crying even when on painkillers.

I'm trying to find something that works but also isn't disastrous for my gut (NSAID's) or finances!

I have PCOS so get heavy painful periods. I use mefanamic acid AND high strength pandol at the same time taken a couple of hours apart. If I use either of these alone, its not enough but together, it usually works well (till something wears off).

With the mefenamic acid, its best taking from a few days before your period onwards (thou Im not doing that as I never know when my period will occur). If I still get pain with both those drugs (which does occassionally happen), I then also use very hot water bottles as well and that helps too.

Like you, I can be doubled up in pain with periods otherwise. I once started loosing consciousness as the pain was so terrible.

SOC

Thanks for the info. My Mum had endometrial hyperplasia and I think I do too. Too much oestrogen. I am working on it and trying to lower it with flax seeds, diet and reducing xenoestrogens but so far the pain persists.

Would you be so kind as to expand on this a little? What diet factors do you find lower estrogen? What xenoestrogens have you managed to avoid and how? Thanks!

PennyIA

I just thought I ought to pipe in with an additional recommendation for heating pads. Even if you have to sit in front of a fan. If I was laying down anyway due to fatigue - I'd have the kind that plugged in. One behind my back and one on my tummy with a pillow over it so I could apply a slight pressure with my arms without having to deal with the heat on my arms. If I had to be up and about, I'd strap on the therapy heat pads that were disposable - one to my back and the same kind flipped around so the heat could also be applied to my stomach.

I went through the gamut... I had severe endometriosis and severe uterine fibroids. They removed the endometriosis and the biggest fibroids when I had my c/section. But then the pain came back worse than ever, it got worse and worse. I thought the endometriosis had come back (as it tends to); but in the end I had developed adenomyosis... and ended up having my hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did was breaking down and getting the surgery. Of course, I'm old enough to chose no more children, but that pain was really horrid towards the end there and it was only going to get worse.