• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips for Sleep and Fatigue Management in CFIDS/ME & FM 4/6/13 via MA CFIDS

maddietod

This is especially useful; lots of people here use benadryl as part of a sleep protocol.

Benadryl inhibits slow-wave sleep and REM. It is sedative but not restorative. It has a long half-life, lasting sleep inertia, rapid tolerance and rebound insomnia.

Undisclosed

This is especially useful; lots of people here use benadryl as part of a sleep protocol.

Benadryl inhibits slow-wave sleep and REM. It is sedative but not restorative. It has a long half-life, lasting sleep inertia, rapid tolerance and rebound insomnia.

I also found that Benadryl seemed to cause significant memory problems.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
most sleep meds are shown to reduce sleep quality but i also wonder about these studies as they arent done on ME patient who have crappy sleep anyway. I find using antihistamines etc do help with sleep even if quality isnt there as its better then im getting without meds. It can also be about quantity, if u cant get quality i think quantity can help.

Kina as for memory loss i dont know how one could tell as its a symptom of ME as well as a symptoms of crappy sleep without meds?? I just think we are in a different relm when it comes to sleep, i dont understand rebound insomnia in us when we sleep like crap anyway?? Theres plenty of ME patients who have never used sleep meds and still sleep like crap, so im not sure if rebound insomnia and reducing deep sleep etc really relates to us as we have those issues before we started any type of treatment??

Its a trial and error, i someone finds it helps then go for it, if it makes u worse then stop.

Not picking a fight here just looking at this issue from another side.;)

Undisclosed

most sleep meds are shown to reduce sleep quality but i also wonder about these studies as they arent done on ME patient who have crappy sleep anyway. I find using antihistamines etc do help with sleep even if quality isnt there as its better then im getting without meds. It can also be about quantity, if u cant get quality i think quantity can help.

Kina as for memory loss i dont know how one could tell as its a symptom of ME as well as a symptoms of crappy sleep without meds?? I just think we are in a different relm when it comes to sleep, i dont understand rebound insomnia in us when we sleep like crap anyway?? Theres plenty of ME patients who have never used sleep meds and still sleep like crap, so im not sure if rebound insomnia and reducing deep sleep etc really relates to us as we have those issues before we started any type of treatment??

Its a trial and error, i someone finds it helps then go for it, if it makes u worse then stop.

Not picking a fight here just looking at this issue from another side.;)

It's the Benadryl. Generally, due to lack of any sleep or bad quality sleep, I get a lot of brain fog and I do get forgetful so I write out important stuff on post-it notes on my computer. With the Benadryl it was a case of not being able to remember things from a minute before or anything from the night before. It was profound and very disturbing and occurred only when I took Benadryl and I did experiment with it because it was getting me too sleep sooner and for longer periods. I go for weeks with only 2-3 hours of sleep per night and I am too wired in the day to take naps unless I am totally exhausted. I get brain-fog from that but not the memory loss experienced when taking Benadryl.

maddietod

I also got a major memory disturbance from taking Benadryl every night for a few months. I was talking with a newish friend and said I couldn't remember - had she been by my house? She gave me the strangest look. Days later I remembered that she had come and given me a 2 hour energy treatment a month earlier. Benadryl was the only change, I stopped it, and my CFS-normal memory returned.