• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme Results

Hello! I'm so excited I found this forum! Here are my results - what do I need to know?

ACE-rs4343: GG (+/+)?
ACAT1-rs3741049: GG (-/-)?
COMT V158M -
rs4680 -
AG
+/-
COMT H62H -
rs4633 -
CT
+/-
COMT P199P -
rs769224 -
GG
-/-
VDR Bsm -
rs1544410 -
CC
-/-
VDR Taq
rs731236
AG
+/-
MAO A R297R
rs6323
T
+/+
ACAT1-02
rs3741049
GG
-/-
MTHFR C677T
rs1801133
AG
+/-
MTHFR 03 P39P
rs2066470
GG
-/-
MTHFR A1298C
rs1801131
TT
-/-
MTR A2756G
rs1805087
A G
+/-
MTRR A66G
rs1801394
GG
+/+
MTRR H595Y
rs10380
CC
-/-
MTRR K350A
rs162036
AA
-/-
MTRR R415T
rs2287780
CC
-/-
MTRR A664A
rs1802059
AG
+/-
BHMT-02
rs567754
TT
+/+
BHMT-04
rs617219
CC
+/+
BHMT-08
rs651852
TT
+/+
AHCY-01
rs819147
CT
+/-
AHCY-02
rs819134
AG
+/-
AHCY-19
s819171
CT
+/-
CBS C699T
rs234706
AG
+/-
CBS A360A
rs1801181
GG
-/-
CBS N212N
rs2298758
GG
-/-
SHMT1 C1420T
rs1979277
AG
+/-

- I know about the MTHFR, so I'm currently taking 200mcg of methyl-folate (more than that makes me anxious)
- B6 makes me anxious
- 1000mcg of B12 seems to be OK (should I take more?)
- Sounds like I need to test my sulfate and ammonia levels? Do I need molybdenum?
- I'm still dealing with some mild anxiety and OCD
- My urinary NTs are low (Serotonin, PEA, Dopamine, NE, E, GABA and Glycine)
- I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro and 1500mg of L-Tryptophan
- I've tried L-phe, and it helps with energy and focus, but after about a week, it started making me feel more anxious.
- Long history of Lyme - it's gone now, and I'm healing well
- On 2 capsules of PC and 200mg of PS
- On 500mg of NAC
- What else should I look at? What else would be good to take or avoid?

Thanks!!!

Hello! I'm so excited I found this forum! Here are my results - what do I need to know?

ACE-rs4343: GG (+/+)?
COMT V158M +/-
COMT H62H +/-
VDR Bsm -/-
VDR Taq +/-
MAOA R297R +/+
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTR A2756G +/-
MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR A664A +/-
BHMT-02 +/+
BHMT-04 +/+
BHMT-08 +/+
AHCY-01 +/-
AHCY-02 +/-
AHCY-19 +/-
CBS C699T +/-
SHMT1 C1420T +/-
I deleted the "normal" results (except VDR, discussed below), and crossed out the SNPs for which there is no indication that they impact gene function.

Your COMT and MAOA indicate you're slower in breaking down serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. This might cause you trouble with methyl- supplements.

The VDR Taq suggests that you're slower in forming dopamine as well. For most people VDR Taq and Bsm are inherited together, so having -/- and +/- is pretty uncommon (though you're the 3rd in the past 24 hours - are you guys coming from another forum? :p). So far I've only seen one study mentioning participants with that issue, and it implies some fairly bad things for the functioning of the gene. It might be worthwhile to get calcium levels tested, to see how dysfunctional your VDR gene is in practical terms.

MTHFR C677T means that methylfolate is being produced at a slower rate - around 65% of normal. Hence methylfolate supplementation is likely to be helpful. SHMT1 can aggravate this problem when it's homozygous, though it's also possible there's some effect when it's heterozygous. Folinic acid may also be helpful (not folic acid, which may need to be avoided).

MTR A2756G and MTRR A66G indicate a need for methylB12, and homocysteine may tend to be elevated. But because of your slow COMT and MAOA, you likely have enough methyl groups already, and too many more might be unpleasant. Supplementing with a high dose of hydroxoB12 could be helpful, while avoiding methyl problems, since it can hook up with the excess of methyl groups to form methylB12.

BHMT-08 can also result in elevated homocysteine. http://www.heartfixer.com recommends phosphatidylcholine or phosphatidylserine.

CBS C699T results in slightly faster disposal of homocysteine. This is a very small up-regulation, and should not result in sulfur or ammonia problems.

SUMMARY:
You have some complicated stuff going on. You might need to go higher on your methylfolate (at least to a normal dose of 400mcg, which is tricky due to the side effects you're having. But those side effects might be due to the methyl groups, which you're also likely getting from your B12 supplement - methylB12 presumably? It might be possible to swap your methylB12 for hydroxoB12, then get closer to a normal dose of methylfolate without triggering the anxiety.

Some of your anxiety and OCD issues might be due to glutamate imbalance. Even if it's not elevated, having it at a normal level while GABA is low means that the glutamate isn't being appropriately opposed. So in addition to getting serotonin and dopamine raised by taking the precursors, it might help to add glycine supplementation to your NAC supplementation (maybe even a higher dose of the NAC, it's pretty safe up to at least 1800mg), which can then combine with glutamate to use up the glutamate by forming glutathione.

It also might be worthwhile to get some of your neurotransmitters tested in blood platelets, to see how your levels are over the long term (past three months or so). Being low in some of those can cause pretty serious physiological dysfunctioning - as an example, my orthostatic intolerance seems to be due to low norepinephrine, and treating with an NRI is very effective for me.

Testing homocysteine and calcium may also be worthwhile, as those are things that a standard GP can recognize as actual problems and help you deal with.

Thank you SO much! This is so helpful. Some thoughts:

1. I do have high homocysteine, so it'd be nice to get to 400mcg on the methyl folate (already taking phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylserine). But, it sounds like over methylation could be an issue, so I'll switch from the methyl B12 to hydroxy B12 and see what that does. How much B12 would you recommend?

2. Interesting about the glutamate. It wasn't high on the urinary test, but as you said, since the GABA is low, it could be causing issues. I'm already taking 500mg of Glycine at bedtime, but I could bump that up to 1000mg. I'm also happy to bump up the NAC to at least 1000mg and see how that goes. I am taking 500mg of GABA at bedtime, though I'm not sure it's doing much, since it can't readily cross the blood-brain barrier. I've also started taking a product called Kavinace from NeuroScience, which combines Taurine with Phenibut (a GABA agonist of sorts). Taurine by itself didn't make me feel great in the past, but this combo, aside from some minor lightheadedness right before I fall asleep, seems to be working well (it helps get me to sleep).

3. The NTs are interesting. I did actually get a platelet test a few months ago, and the Serotonin was in the very low end of normal, and NE and E were actually low (though Dopamine was fine - in fact, it was in the higher end of normal). I could take more L-Tryptophan, if it's being metabolized effectively. I don't how to increase NE and E without increasing Dopamine, unless I do an NRI. (I assume L-Phe or L-Tyrosine could cause issues.)

4. I did a SpectraCell nutrient test, and B1, B3, B12, Glutamate and Calcium were all low, so I've been taking a little bit of each since then.

5. The VDR results are especially interesting. For the Lyme, I went on a regimen called the Marshall Protocol, because too much of my 25D (inactive form) was being converted into 1,25D (active form), which caused inflammation and make it harder for the immune system to fight off the pathogens. Part of the regimen is taking Benicar, which is an ARB, and has an affinity for the VDR, helping to re-regulate it. I don't know if my Taq/Bsm status contributed to the original dysregulation, or if it was triggered by the pathogens, but it's interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that study that mentioned this particular SNP combo? (I didn't come from another forum, though super interesting that it's come up this week :)

Thanks again!!!

How much B12 would you recommend?
HydroxoB12 is pretty safe - when I started on it I would get a bit of a rush sometimes, but had no problems doing up to 40mg per day. Usually I do about 20mg per day (10mg sublinguals) or any time I'm having muscle aches. It doesn't screw with potassium like methylB12 does.
I don't how to increase NE and E without increasing Dopamine, unless I do an NRI. (I assume L-Phe or L-Tyrosine could cause issues.)
The NRI I take is Strattera, which is unfortunately expensive. It's really the only one available in the Netherlands, and not covered by insurance, but it costs three times as much in the US and getting it as cheap as possible means splitting it into smaller doses. But the issue of normal or high dopamine and low norepinephrine could indicate a problem with the enzyme responsible for the conversion, dopamine beta hydroxylase. There's a medication to deal with that, called L-Threo-DOPS, and I think others are being developed.
I did a SpectraCell nutrient test, and B1, B3, B12, Glutamate and Calcium were all low, so I've been taking a little bit of each since then.
Interesting that the calcium was low, since that can be a sign of VDR dysfunction. Taking glutamate (not glutamine?) might cause problems, due to the low GABA. It can also cause an anxious/wound-up feeling as if your brain won't turn off.
I don't know if my Taq/Bsm status contributed to the original dysregulation, or if it was triggered by the pathogens, but it's interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that study that mentioned this particular SNP combo?
It's at www.researchgate.net/publication/6691933_Vitamin_D_receptor_polymorphisms_in_hypocalcemic_vitamin_D-resistant_rickets_carriers/file/79e41500e3712b4614.pdf . They aren't specifically looking at the mismatched Taq/Bsm, but there's a table near the end that breaks it down.[/quote][/quote]

Whoops, that should be Glutamine, not Glutamate!

I definitely think over-methylation is bad for me, since in the past, when I've taken melatonin, MSM, SAMe, or theanine, all of which are normally calming, they make me feel like I'm going crazy.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

I was actually on Strattera years ago, though I can't remember if helped or not. I'd like to see if there's a test for dopa-b-hydroxylase....

BTW, do you know anything about SNPs and testosterone production?

Bluebell

I deleted the "normal" results (except VDR, discussed below), and crossed out the SNPs for which there is no indication that they impact gene function.

:thumbsup: thumbs up to Valentijn for reformatting nyfirefly11's list, which my blurry eyes had immediately given up on!

Valentijn, I've read a few mentions by you in recent threads of the neurotransmitter testing. What are the differences between the urine vs the blood ones? Do you know if trustworthy tests of neurotransmitters can be ordered without a doctor's prescription in the US?

Valentijn, I've read a few mentions by you in recent threads of the neurotransmitter testing. What are the differences between the urine vs the blood ones? Do you know if trustworthy tests of neurotransmitters can be ordered without a doctor's prescription in the US?
Blood serum would show a snapshot of when the blood sample was taken, which is sometimes used with orthostatic challenges (laying down then standing up) to see how the body reacts. Urine gives a slightly longer picture, either showing what ends up in the bladder over a couple hours if taking a single sample, or over 24 hours if doing collection all day and then mixing it up prior to get a sample. Blood platelet shows long term levels - basically what levels are for the life of the red blood cells (100-120 days I think).

Urine is probably pretty reflective of reality, generally. But it can raise questions like "Is X high because X is high, or is X high because my body is getting rid of it too fast and I really have low X?" So it's giving an indirect look at things, which might not be quite as useful.

I don't know much about US testing - but there might be services which offer a doctor's signature for a small fee.

Valentijn, I got some hydroxy B12 and started taking it on Fri. I also went up to 400mcg on the methyl-folate. It's hard to say what the reaction was - both Fri and Sat during the day I was feeling extremely tired (especially right after taking it), though Friday night I felt great. But today, I'm still feeling super tired, plus I have a headache, some brain fog, and some intense muscle and joint pain/stiffness.

It could be un-related of course, but is it possible the hydroxy B12 is causing too much under-methylation? Maybe I should rotate between the hydroxy and methyl forms?

Thanks!

It could be un-related of course, but is it possible the hydroxy B12 is causing too much under-methylation? Maybe I should rotate between the hydroxy and methyl forms?
I suppose it's worth a shot ... just be careful if trying high doses of the methylB12.

Bluebell

Depending on the genetic mutations, Dr. Yasko recommends taking different mixtures of B12. For some she recommends a mixture of methylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin. For some she recommends those two plus adenosylcobalamin (aka dibencozide).

Dr. Rich van Konynenburg seemed to have no problems with Yasko's recommendations about B12 for people who do know their genetic mutations (and he mentioned them in his writings), but he said that folks who didn't have their genetic results could start with hydroxocobalamin for 3 months and if it didn't work, move over to methylcobalamin.

There are several people on Freddd's threads, including Freddd himself, who tried hydroxocobalamin and said it didn't help them - and they said it even erased progress in their health that they had already made. They swear by methyl alone, or a mixture of methyl and adenoysl.

Regardless of whose protocol they follow, there are people who take a mixture of 2 or 3 of these cobalamins, each day.

Some people here say that nothing helped until they added adenosylcobalamin to their intake.

You can find a lot of folks' descriptions of their experiences by doing a search here.

I don't have any personal experience to share because at this point I am just gingerly cutting 1 two-gram tablet of hydroxycobalamin into 8ths. :)

I do know that when I tried a low dose of methylcobalamin on its own for a few days, a few months ago, without really knowing what I was doing, I got hypokalemia symptoms and it was unpleasant, even once I started taking a lot of potassium to try to counteract them.

If you want to try taking a couple of the cobalamins, I would suggest that it might make more sense to take them around the same time as each other on the same day (each day), and not alternate them on different days, which would sway your methylation system one way and then another way, which is an imbalance that it probably could do without.