• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme.com Test Results! Please help!

chilove

Hey guys,

I finally got my results! Yay! I'm SO surprised that I dont have a CBS defect because I have MAJOR issues with protein!

Can anyone help intrepret the rest please? What really stands out for me to work on first? Thanks!

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result
COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-
COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CC -/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MAO A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AA -/-
MTRR H595Y rs10380 CC -/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR R415T rs2287780 CC -/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-04 rs617219 AC +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-
AHCY-02 rs819134 AA -/-
AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-
CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 GG -/-
CBS N212N rs2298758 GG -/-
SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 GG -/-

caledonia

Congratulations - no First Priority mutations to worry about. Something like Rich Vank's simplified protocol may work for you.

You have MTHFR C699T and A1298C, so definitely some methylfolate.

Your MTR/MTRRs are pretty clean, except for one MTRR which is a +/+. So maybe a little B12, or maybe even none.

As far as the form of B12, with your combination of COMT and VDR Taq, Yasko suggests all three types (hydroxy, adenosyl, and methyl), but with less methylcobalamin.

You have all the BHMTs, so some TMG supplementation to support the secondary pathway.

A MAO A +/+ may need some serotonin support like 5htp. Note: don't take any serotonin boosting supps if you're on an SSRI or similar medicine. You may be able to gradually reduce an SSRI while gradually increasing methylation supps. Once you're totally off the med, then you can try 5htp if you feel it's necessary. It may be that just getting folate and getting the methylation cycle making neurotransmitters may be all that's needed.

In general, I think I would start with TMG, or Yasko's General Health Formula which has TMG and some nucleotides in it. Then go on to folate.

ps. what symptoms do you get when you eat protein?

Bluebell

As far as the form of B12, with your combination of COMT and VDR Taq, Yasko suggests all three types (hydroxy, adenosyl, and methyl), but with less methylcobalamin.

Caledonia, is it known approximately how much Yasko would recommend (in mg) of each one of those three B12s, for someone in this situation? Would they all be started at the same time in the protocol, and taken together at the same time of day?

I'm sorry if these are simple questions - a lot of this information that I've been trying to absorb has "gone in one ear (eye) and out the other"!

chilove

Thanks so much Caledonia! I feel horrible when I eat even vegan higher protein (beans, nuts, seeds) sources. I get severe muscle and joint pain, lots of excess mucus production, and severe mood swings and depression. I get the same reaction from individual amino acid supplements. I eat a raw vegan diet consistingly of mostly fruit to stay functional. Another part of my test said that I also have MCAD Deficiency and Heamochromatosis so maybe its the iron or fat rather than protein thats bothering me.

My main symptoms are food sensitivities,endocrine system dysfunction, and neuro issues. I have EMF sensitivity pretty bad.

What is TMG?

Thanks!

Audrey

Valentijn

Hey guys,

I finally got my results! Yay! I'm SO surprised that I dont have a CBS defect because I have MAJOR issues with protein!

Can anyone help intrepret the rest please? What really stands out for me to work on first? Thanks!

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result
COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MAO A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-04 rs617219 AC +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
You have the slow version of MAOA and the intermediate versions of COMT, hence you aren't breaking catecholamines down quickly. But with the VDR, you're also a bit slow in producing them.

MTHFR 03 isn't significant when heterozygous. It results in raised homocysteine when homozygous, though not to a statistically significant amount in the studies available thus far. But the other two MTHFRs are significant, and when combined can result in methylfolate production being at about 30% of normal.

The MTRR you have is irrelevant to the functioning of the gene.

BHMT 02 and 04 are also irrelevant. BHMT 08 can have some impact, though possibly not when heterozygous. It might raise homocysteine a bit.

SUMMARY:
You almost certainly need methylfolate. Due to slow COMT and MAO, supplementing methylB12 might be a bad idea - hydroxoB12 should be safer if you need B12.

Taking something that increases serotonin or dopamine production may be unpleasant due to having the slow MAOA and COMT. If going in that direction, I'd suggest testing first to see exactly what's really going on.

Regarding protein, the Yasko SNPs have little impact on processing it. So there may be something going on elsewhere, with different SNPs or even different genes, etc.

Bluebell

Chilove, TMG is trimethylglycine. It's a supplement.

It is also called betaine.

It was originally isolated in beets and is named after the vegetable. Betaine is pronounced beet-a-een, according to Wikipedia. The name does not have anything to do with the Greek letter "beta". (Dr. Ben Lynch calls it bee-tayn which is apparently not the right pronounciation.)

A related supplement is called Betaine HCL - betaine hydrochloride, and that is a digestive aide, and a little different to straight betaine, but it does contain some betaine. Dr. Rich van Konynenburg gave a caution about substituting betaine hcl for TMG/betaine, I believe, something to do with the digestive aide/hydrochloride part of it I think.

TMG/betaine is sometimes taken as part of a methylation supplement protocol (a supplement regime to try to overcome these various genetic mutations we have, etc.)

-TMG is one of the few, key supplements in naturopath Chris Kresser's methylation protocol.
-TMG is not stressed as much in Rich van Konynenburg's, although there is a modest amount of it in the multivitamin formula he recommends. He used to have a standalone TMG supplement in an early version of his protocol but dropped it because some patients reacted badly to it. That is not to say that TMG did not help some people he studied. However, his "simplified" protocol is pared down to the necessary things that most people he studied did okay with.
-I am not certain about where TMG falls in Freddd's protocol, but it's not one of the top, irreplacable parts of his program at any rate.
-Benjamin Lynch mentions TMG, but I am not sure what his recommendations are about it.
-I think that Caledonia above is giving you recommendations based on Amy Yasko's protocol, which recommends TMG for some people and not others, based on their mutations.

A lot of information about methylation and the supplements various experts recommend for it can be found in the thread that I link to in my signature line below --->

caledonia

Thanks so much Caledonia! I feel horrible when I eat even vegan higher protein (beans, nuts, seeds) sources. I get severe muscle and joint pain, lots of excess mucus production, and severe mood swings and depression. I get the same reaction from individual amino acid supplements. I eat a raw vegan diet consistingly of mostly fruit to stay functional. Another part of my test said that I also have MCAD Deficiency and Heamochromatosis so maybe its the iron or fat rather than protein thats bothering me.

My main symptoms are food sensitivities,endocrine system dysfunction, and neuro issues. I have EMF sensitivity pretty bad.

What is TMG?

Thanks!

Audrey
TMG = tri methyl glycine, which is a methyl donor. It supports the secondary "shortcut" methylation pathway. So there's a main methylation pathway, which uses folate and B12, and a backup one which uses TMG.

Your protein reaction makes me think of leaky gut. Food sensitivities, in general, are due to leaky gut. It's highly possible that you will experience a high need for potassium and/or magnesium when you start methylation. This is due to leaky gut. My suggestion would be to do the Metametrix GI Effects stool test first, and treat for whatever gut issues come up with that. The link is in my signature.

chilove

TMG = tri methyl glycine, which is a methyl donor. It supports the secondary "shortcut" methylation pathway. So there's a main methylation pathway, which uses folate and B12, and a backup one which uses TMG.

Your protein reaction makes me think of leaky gut. Food sensitivities, in general, are due to leaky gut. It's highly possible that you will experience a high need for potassium and/or magnesium when you start methylation. This is due to leaky gut. My suggestion would be to do the Metametrix GI Effects stool test first, and treat for whatever gut issues come up with that. The link is in my signature.

Thanks so much Caledonia. I have been diagnosed with LGS and am taking herbs to help heal the gut and using meditation. I will try the TMG. Thanks so much!

chilove

Update:

I tried TMG and DMG and felt horrible on both. I got severe cognitive disturbances and weird mood effects from them. However I'm also still taking methyl B12 ( I didn't want to switch forms until I ran out due to finances) and am wondering if that is affecting me poorly and causing my increased histamine sensitivity and ringing in the ears. I purchased some hydroxoB12 online and will stop taking the methylB12