• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Test results, woohoo!

roxie60

Hope it is ok to throw my recent results on the thread. I'm really at a low point of giving up thinking blood tests reveal anything useful.

Got the most recent blood tests back and they were 'unremarkable'.
Homocysteine was 7.3, it was 7.1 two years ago.

The new blood test was for ammonia levels in blood (I really thought this would be high with all the brain issues), it was a 10 which is the low end of the range.I wonder how sensitive this test is, I have been asked to stop eating all meat so have complied for the past 2-3 weeks.

Only things slightly elevated in other panels was the AST is rising, now 50, was 38 a month ago (top of range is 36);
Creatinine is at .95 (top of range is 1.00) so with in range but higher end;
RBC at 5.41 High;
Hemocrit 45.2 (top of range is 44);
hemoglobin at 15.5 (top of range is 15);
ALT is rising but still in range;
BUN is 8 and
CO2 is 32 (top of range is 30).

I am the poster child of health (at least that is what I expect to hear from Drs). I have no energy and I have not had depression in a long time but it is back (I'm blaming the estridiol i have been on since mid March, the depression kicking in about May and has increased which really sucks since other syms have improved). I'm now worrying if this is just a plateau before the next crash? What causes crashes? Am I better just because I have reduced stress??? I find that hard to believe, I have dealt with high stress most of my life.... maybe I am just faking it all and deluding myself, the fatigue, muscle movement, sleep impairment, cognitive impairment is all just in my head :cry::confused:

snowathlete

Val - check what the Bart test actually looks for. Most just look for the species that was once thought to be the most common, Henselea. Good to rule out, but you'd want to consider testing for others.

Tests are extremely useful in my view. But you need the right ones and that means both selection and quality. Most of my NHS tests were normal or close to it. Nothing much of use. The tests De Meirleir ran showed many anomalies, some hugely outside of norm and which really tell you something useful.

The new blood test was for ammonia levels in blood (I really thought this would be high with all the brain issues), it was a 10 which is the low end of the range.I wonder how sensitive this test is, I have been asked to stop eating all meat so have complied for the past 2-3 weeks.
I think avoiding meat can be very problematic for ME patients. If the primary methods of energy production are impaired (carbs and fats), then proteins are the back-up source of energy. If there's not enough protein in the diet, then muscles can be broken down to generate energy.
Only things slightly elevated in other panels was the AST is rising, now 50, was 38 a month ago (top of range is 36);
ALT is rising but still in range;
ALT can get high due to choline deficiency, and various other issues, including viruses and liver inflammation. AST being elevated suggests that whatever the problem is, it's not confined to the liver. I think that these being high or almost high might be a reflection of general inflammation. Low blood volume is also possible cause of elevation.
Creatinine is at .95 (top of range is 1.00) so with in range but higher end;
BUN is 8
Elevated creatinine can indicate kidney damage, but yours isn't elevated yet. Your BUN to Creatinine ratio is also low, and that also can indicated kidney damage.
RBC at 5.41 High;
Hemocrit 45.2 (top of range is 44);
hemoglobin at 15.5 (top of range is 15);
Oxygen problems and/or low blood volume can cause elevated RBC and Hematocrit. Kidney damage would typically result in lower hematocrit. Elevated hemoglobin, when combined with elevated hematocrit, is a relatively normal result, so the elevated hemoglobin probably isn't significant itself.
CO2 is 32 (top of range is 30).
Having higher CO2 can indicate lower oxygen.

My best guess is general inflammation, and oxygen and/or low blood volume issues. If not already taking high EPA/DHA fish oil, that can help with inflammation, and there's probably other things that do as well (assuming your doctor doesn't give a damn and offer treatment). Have you had CRP or ESR tested, as those also show inflammation?

Regarding oxygen, I've found a basic pulse oximeter (30 euros) to be a helpful investment thus far. I didn't even suspect oxygen problems in particular prior to turning blue once, but it turns out I struggle to maintain a normal oxygen saturation for hours or days after exertion. And it gives constant heart rate feedback, so can be useful in avoiding the excessive exertion in the first place. Various people probably have good advice for dealing with probably low blood volume as well - electrolytes, fluids, etc.

roxie60

Last ESR in Nov and was 8, last CRP was also Nov and was 0.47. Both in range. This is why I get weary of bld tests, they dont seem to show much of anything and sure dont represent how bad I feel at times. I think the Drs are just as puzzled. I looked into those oximeters, may get one, $37.
Have not tested CRP or ESR this year

snowathlete

I agree the right tests need to be performed but how does one figure out what the 'right' tests are to run??

Taking a close look at your symptoms for specific clues.
Doing your own research.
Talking with other patients.
Selecting a good doctor.