• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dark Chocolate - Not cool

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I'm up to 85%!

Any higher bidders?

I wouldn't be able to eat lots of really strong chocolate in the way that one can with milk chocolate. It's more something that I have a couple of squares of after dinner.

I generally avoid sugar, so really dark chocolate is a good way to have a pudding treat without being too unhealthy.

peggy-sue

I would be on 85% if I could get hold of it easily. :p
I nibble it with oatcakes - so I get a good dose of fibre to counteract any evil fructose that might be lurking in the little sugar that is there.... besides, I like it like that.:D

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Good for you guys, I am still flipping. I think its fairly obvious that chocolate its addictive and detrimental,a good bud for coffee. But my neuros are very reactive and messed up, Benzos give me panic attacks, I am like flirting with insanity. Esther, I once ate one from Lidl that was 81%, I couldnt beat you! http://www.chokladorama.se/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/product/jd-gross-arriba.jpg But it has such a deep and rich flavour... Arriba Superior! Chocolate de Ecuador! :lol:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm up to 85%!

Any higher bidders?

90% here!

I wouldn't be able to eat lots of really strong chocolate in the way that one can with milk chocolate. It's more something that I have a couple of squares of after dinner.

Unfortunately it's something I eat the whole 100g bar of, all in one go, so I've had to give it up altogether. :(

rosie26

I buy the 70%, but I find it very rich and it upsets my intestines if I have too much, so only have 2 pieces in one day. Probably less is best with the higher % cocoa.

perchance dreamer

My favorite chocolate was Theo's 91% Dark Chocolate, but they apparently quit making it. Now I have 1/2 oz of their 85% Dark Chocolate every morning, and it's great, too.

Seewell

Im on 85%,cut down to two squares a day now,as i think it might have been causing my migraines.

peggy-sue

It's the Lidl one I get - inexpensive and absolutely gorgeous.

Beyond - you really do seem to have unusual reactions to things - we are all different in our tolerances, aren't we?
It must make things ultra-difficult for you - not being able to trust that you will react in a similar manner to others to the same things.:cry:
Your reaction to benzodiazepines is the same as that of hamsters. Hamsters, (unlike other rodents), go absolutely hyper on them, so it is within some biological parameters for these drugs to have that sort of effect. That's probably not much help to you though.

peggy-sue

At least I managed to make you smile a little.:)

But you can't handle coffee either, can you?
Chocolate contains a caffeiene-like substance, theobromine, perhaps it's that which gets you all in a horrible state.

It took years for drug researchers to make the (glaringly obvious, in retrospect) point that anxiolytic drugs should only be tested on nervous animals. Their reaction to them is quite different to that of non-anxious animals.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah I knew the theobromine thingie, also that its said to be slightly similar in effect to being in love (false!! so false! :cry:). In the links in the first post its covered the substances chocolate has and why its addictive and stimulative.

Really? I am highly surprised with what you say about these tests. I just know I gotta be cautious with things that alter neurology, every "softcore" substance I have consumed have made me realise how thin its my personal barrier against psychiatric symptoms. Including methylation supplements.

peggy-sue

It also used to be the norm that drugs were only ever tested on male humans. Females have got inconvienient things such as hormonal cycles, that might mess results up.

That's why it wasn't until Prozac was released onto the public that the effects on women were discovered.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Those articles are primarily about raw cocoa. I used to eat about an oz. of 85% dark chocolate in the morning. My weight got to be a problems so I stopped. I haven't noticed any changes (including in my weight).

taniaaust1

I'm up to 85%!

Any higher bidders?

I generally avoid sugar, so really dark chocolate is a good way to have a pudding treat without being too unhealthy.

I once brought a 90% one, it was very very horrid and I wont do that again. I struggled to eat a single small square of it.

perchance dreamer

For me, the brand is really important in the dark chocolates. Theo's 91% Dark Chocolate was so smooth and had just a touch of a bitter flavor. Another brand that starts with something like Sch (I forget: It's a German-sounding name) tastes really sour and bitter to me with a cocoa content in the low 80s.

For me, the brand is really important in the dark chocolates. Theo's 91% Dark Chocolate was so smooth and had just a touch of a bitter flavor. Another brand that starts with something like Sch (I forget: It's a German-sounding name) tastes really sour and bitter to me with a cocoa content in the low 80s.
Scharffen Berger?