• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Crack Your Own Back

Wayne

I watched this 3 1/2 minute video, and it looks like something I'm going to try for myself. --- I've been having a lot of difficulties with my low back and hips recently, and have found a number of tips from the guy who does this video to be really helpful. Some of his other methods include using tennis balls, self massage, and more.

How to Crack Your Own Back. No Chiropractor Required!

I also looked at a book a neighbor lent me this past week called, "Pain Free", by Pete Egoscue. It focuses on techniques to correct underlying structural issues that are causing the pain. My neighbor uses them for his own back problems, and says they work really well as long as he continues to do them. I'm currently waiting for it to get checked back in at our local library.

I also purchased a product this past week that has magnets in it, and that I can wrap around my lower back and hold in place with velcro. I tried to find it online and provide a link here, but couldn't find the particular one I bought. But there are a lot of them to choose from. I paid $35 for mine.

It has helped alleviate some of my pain, but even more noticeable has been a significant "supportive" feeling I've been experiencing. I noticed it within a few seconds of my trying it on on the store, and asked the owner if it was possible it was improving my certebal/spinal fluid flow. She thought it definitely could be. Whether that's the case or not, those benefits of increased mental clarity, less vertigo, and more are worth the $35 I paid for it.

Ema

I just watched the video and then looked out the window and the dog next door was waving a foam roller at me! I think that is a sign! LOL.

(PS I don't agree at all with his assessments of chiropractors. There are good and bad practitioners in every field.)

Ema

Wayne

I just watched the video and then looked out the window and the dog next door was waving a foam roller at me! I think that is a sign! LOL.

(PS I don't agree at all with his assessments of chiropractors. There are good and bad practitioners in every field.)

Ema

Thanks for the great image Ema. Yes, I have to agree with you that could very possibly be a sign! :D

I also don't agree with his chiropractic assessment, but I suspect we could lessen our reliance on them if we did a lot of self-care that are described in his videos.

Ayaju

This is informative, thank you!
I like Sue Hitzman's work as well: The Melt Method; using soft rollers to gently massage away pain. She was in chronic pain and researched and discovered that our soft (or was it deep) tissues get dehydrated, causing pain, and the Melt Method rehydrates the tissues. It really works! And is easy and quick. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/sue-hitzmanns-plan-melt-pain-pt-1
Judy

Plum

Foam roller can work depending on how hard the region is to crack. For self help I like Esther Gokhale. She has a book and a good intro to here is this video

But it's the kind of thing you've got to work at which isn't for everyone. I know I struggle sticking to exercises or making changes!

jeffrez

This looks awesome - I've gotten a lot of benefit from chiropractic. Thanks Wayne! Anyone know if foam rollers are smell-free, or what kind are the best in that regard (i.e., least toxic/non-offgassing) to get?

rosie26

Just the way he says "cracking your own back" makes me laugh. But it probably does work. And I would give it a go just to keep my back good. I think I would do it every 3 days just in case it's too overworked.