• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lithium orotate, methylation and thyroid

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
It seems its reccomended for my gene mutations to take lithium, plus I have read it helps with sleep, mood and protects the brain from neurotoxins (very needed). But its a fact that lithium supresses thyroid function to some extent and I suspect some degree of thyroid problems. Anyone takes lithium per Yasko reccomendations having possible subclinical hypothyroidism or hashimoto´s?

juniemarie

Hope someone has some input on this as I was considering taking lithium orotate but I cant afford to have anything slow down my thyroid.......I didn't know that about LO, where did you hear about that?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I didn't know that about LO, where did you hear about that?
I am known as one very effective dataminer or Google hound. :D I found it in forums and clinical studies. Always desperate to find something for sleep so today decided to look for it and some people really get better sleep with lithium.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Interesting. I have tried lithium arginate and felt a bit over-stimulated from it.
I wonder if there would be a difference with the lithium orotate?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I attracted you to this thread with telepathic strings, Dreambirdie ;) As I was just writing in that thread of yours! :rofl:

I wonder too. If you try report back.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I attracted you to this thread with telepathic strings, Dreambirdie ;) As I was just writing in that thread of yours! :rofl:

I wonder too. If you try report back.

hehehe. :) Well here I am, but you didn't answer my question regarding lithium orotate vs lithium arginate... and I am not up for joining another forum. So let me know what you find out. thanks.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I am not an expert in lithium, sadly, but orotate its the one most reccomended and the one I would try. I think there can be a difference. About the link, I forgot you guys cannot go inside. It has some insights on lithium and thyroid/iodine.

Its the forum of Yasko. The thread says basically that Iodine and Lithium are antagonic, if taking Lithium one should take Iodine which minimizes its antithyroid effecs and one should be taken at mornings and other night because lithium disrupts iodine metabolism.

taniaaust1

I am not an expert in lithium, sadly, but orotate its the one most reccomended and the one I would try. I think there can be a difference. About the link, I forgot you guys cannot go inside. It has some insights on lithium and thyroid/iodine.

Its the forum of Yasko. The thread says basically that Iodine and Lithium are antagonic, if taking Lithium one should take Iodine which minimizes its antithyroid effecs and one should be taken at mornings and other night because lithium disrupts iodine metabolism.

I take lithium orotate due to showing very low abnormal level on a hair test and have a family history of hypothyriodism (3? family members), so thanks greatly for your info. Maybe my low lithium level could even be protective then?

Ive been wondering if there is a polymorphism or something which can cause low lithium?

Beyond.. what is the gene in which one shouldnt take lithium with?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Ive been wondering if there is a polymorphism or something which can cause low lithium?

Yasko affirms that those with SHMT and/or MTR/MTRR mutations tend to excrete a lot of lithium in the urine tests. Thats why she recommends it to these. I have those mutations! And anyone with a great need for B12 according to their genes should be on lithium because it helps B12 to be transported to blood cells.

Beyond.. what is the gene in which one shouldnt take lithium with?

No idea...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been having sub-optimal thyroid function. Both my free T4 and free T3 were very low in ‘normal’ range. My doctor wanted me to take supplemental T4, but I didn’t because of low adrenal function. I did not know that lithium could effect thyroid function, so I started taking lithium orotate on my own. It helps sleep and also keep me calmer during the day.

The next time my thyroid was checked the free T4 was high normal, but the free T3 was still low normal and reverse T3 was outright high. I have no idea if the lithium had anything to do with this.

I took a very low dose of supplemental T3 and my free T3 was optimal a month later. My free T4 is low normal, but I think that is expected when taking supplemental T3.

Have you had your lithium tested? Mine was low, which is why I started supplementing it.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Amazing Little Bluestem another testimonial for lithium helping to calm the sympathetic nervous activity.

http://www.theelementsofhealth.com/...ticles-stress/the_autonomic_nervous_syste.pdf
Lithium

Lithium is actually an essential trace mineral. Every body needs it to function properly. The
mineral has many functions and a complete discussion is beyond the scope of this article. For our purposes here, lithium controls the set point of stimulation a nerve needs before it
“fires” (neuronal cell membrane depolarization threshold -whew!). With too little lithium in your
system, you will feel constantly overstimulated and your ANS will be sympathetic dominant.
Lithium deficiency is extremely common due to soil depletion and food refining. Some people
seem to be very sensitive to this deficiency due to genetic predisposition.

People affected by this
deficiency experience agitation and anxiety and their minds race. Often their minds will race
while they lay awake at night. Fear of crowds and busy, crowded places is common as is what I
call the “Walmart syndrome,” where people feel overwhelmed by the complex auditory and
visual stimulation found in many stores.
Supplementing the correct and natural form of lithium resolves this type of depression fairly
quickly and this nutritional form of lithium is not related to lithium carbonate, the prescription
form of lithium used to treat people with bipolar disorder (manic depression).

The form of lithium I use in practice is LI-zyme forte (BRC). I will typically recommend 1-2
tablets 2-3 times a day for a couple of weeks and then bring the dosage down to 1-2 tabs at night.Taking the lithium at night helps lower cortisol levels at night so that sleep quality improves and your body is in a naturally anabolic (repairing and regenerative) state during the night and early morning.

Typically, you will feel tired when first taking lithium. This is not a bad sign. It is actually a
positive response and indicates that your ANS has switched to a parasympathetic predominant
state and the underlying fatigue and depletion resulting from being in a chronic sympathetic
predominant state will become apparent.

Welcome this fatigue, if you experience it! After a few days to even a couple of weeks in very
severe cases of exhaustion, your energy will build and be much deeper and natural.
You will will have a very strong, enduring and relaxed energy that will be different than the
nervous and over-stimulated kind of energy you probably had before
Nope. I had a hair test done in Spain but it was so shitty it lacked lithium! Anyway I´m quite sure of having this defficiency I have a lot of hints for it. And I have had all kinds of tests showing I was defficient in almost everything :rofl: especially these things that get depleted if you are metal toxic such as Glutathione and other antioxidants (lithium gets depleted in case of neuro/excitotoxicity as it is used to protect the brain).

Dreambirdie

work in progress
What happened with the HC? Did you make sure you had low cortisol before taking it?

I have written about this experience several times here, and honestly don't want to go into the horror story of it again. HC was BY FAR THE WORST THING I have ever taken. THE WORST.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
My bottle of lithium orotate says that "individuals with renal or cardiovascular disease or who are taking diuretics or ACE inhibitors should consult their health-care professional before use." It also says that it should not be taken by pregnant or nursing women, but I think that is standard.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
The same guy, T. Bschor, tried a similar study one year later:
Results suggest that lithium augmentation increases HPA system activity, as indicated by the increase of post-dexamethasone cortisol and ACTH levels measured by the DST. This is in contrast to the established decline of HPA system activity during treatment with tricyclic antidepressants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12577277

And also in 2011! http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0027613

But we have to bear in mind these studies are done probably on lithium carbonate and in much higher doses. However, this is a very significant finding, dannybex.

Ema

The thread says basically that Iodine and Lithium are antagonic, if taking Lithium one should take Iodine which minimizes its antithyroid effecs and one should be taken at mornings and other night because lithium disrupts iodine metabolism.
If you have Hashi's, I would watch out for iodine because it can cause a flare.

Ema

Ema

This study seems to suggest that lithium causes an increase in cortisol...?

"
Patients had a significantly higher ACTH and cortisol response to CRH stimulation during lithium augmentation compared with the values at baseline."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12225704

???
This study used lithium carbonate at 2x 450 mg.

I have no idea if that is a high dose or not though it sounds like one.