• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Truth About Personality

Ta PD.

I actually saw something else on the BBC related to this that did seem a bit gimicky.

I'm pretty sceptical about current claims of a scientific study of personality, based on the studies I've read, and it deos seem like the sort of area that might get sexed up for TV.

Any thoughts on the programme?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I thought it was good - showed shifts in brain hemisphere dominance which are related to tendency to depression (I think). Some interesting stuff. I agree it would be good to hear more about the studies rather than just the 'N of 1' stuff that they like to do for TV.

Perhaps he'll bring a book out!

PhoenixDown

I thought it was good - showed shifts in brain hemisphere dominance which are related to tendency to depression (I think)...
Lets just hope no body gets any ideas about telling all ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia patients that all you need to do is to click on the happy faces and do some meditation, claiming science has proven this will lead to recovery.

Any thoughts on the programme?
I don't normally watch Horizon, to be honest I get it confused with other programmes (correct spelling this time).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Lets just hope no body gets any ideas about telling all ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia patients that all you need to do is to click on the happy faces and do some meditation, claiming science has proven this will lead to recovery.

Nothing about ME/CFS at all in the programme - no implications for us specifically. It was pitched at everybody in the population.

Allyson

doesn't this happen all the time anyway?
Put on happy face, do more exercise, pull your socks up, eat your veges..... and voila! you will be cured!

sigh

Thanks for the post

Ally

PhoenixDown

Nothing about ME/CFS at all in the programme - no implications for us specifically. It was pitched at everybody in the population.
The point is lets hope nobody conducts "research" on patients like us using these ideas, with very misleading conceptions of what "recovery" looks like. The last thing we need is another PACE trial fiasco. for example if they used the brain change alone as an outcome measure without finding significant & sustained changes in activity, work, and lifestyle, but spun results as being fabulous & objective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people's quality of life being improved (pain levels, enjoyment, etc), but I doubt there was much to be said about that other than the presenter feeling a little bit more optimistic.

peggy-sue

I haven't watched it yet, (I've recorded it) but I do quite like the stuff Moseley has been coming out with recently.
He's been shattering some silly myths - and has put forward the 2/5 diet - where you pretty much fast a couple of days a week and eat normally the rest of the time, as being a perfectly healthy and successful way of loosing weight.

As that's the method I use, and have been for donkey's years, I was more than happy to find there is support for it rather then the general notion of "you have to keep eating to keep your blood sugar levels up", which I personally find to be nonsense.

And his tested and proven notion that for healthy exercise, all you really need to do is a couple of half-hour's worth of intensive "work" a week, is pretty good too! That's for well folk, obviously. :rolleyes:

peggy-sue

I live in Scotland - BBC is a tv station we get (we pay our license) so I just used our freeview recording box thingy.