• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hard time getting out of bed, any help?

sregan

Lately I've been having a hard time just getting out of bed. Still feeling wiped out in the morning and really am very slow to wake up. I have to force myself to open my eyes, try to let the light wake me up. I drag myself into the shower hoping it will wake me up. I can take 20-30 minutes just to get out of bed. Anyone dealt with this and what did you do/take? Thanks in advance.

Ema

That sounds a lot like low cortisol in the morning.

I would consider getting a 4x/day saliva cortisol test to assess your level and rhythms across the day. It's about $125 and you can order it yourself through Canary Club/ZRT.

Depending on your results, there are things you can try to stimulate or prolong your cortisol levels in the AM. It's tough though. The circadian rhythm problems are caused by HPA axis dysregulation and can be some of the trickiest to "fix".

Ema

perchance dreamer

You might think about a wake-up light, which gradually fills the room with light for the time you set. If you go to Amazon and enter sunrise clock in the health section, a bunch come up.

I used one a long time ago and found it really effective. But my husband doesn't like them, so we stopped using it.

sregan

This is a recent thing. Not sure if in response to SMP supps or stopping SMP sups.

Ema: It's possible it's cortisol related, I did just have a stress event recently and that seems to have a prolonged effect after the stressor is removed. I thought maybe due to B12 depletion as I thought Freddd wrote about somewhere.

Perchance: There's plenty of light for me this time of the year when I'm getting out of bed.

PointsNorth: I'm not physically unable to get out of bed, I just don't have the will/energy.

rebar

I have found that when I'm discouraged at my health situation,
and dealing with other stress, it alters my symptoms.
not to say that your situation is or may be because of your current stress level.
but trying to diminish it couldn't hurt.
much of what I do is geared toward reducing my own.

Jarod

You may want to consider doing some saunas if you have a local gym. Sweating can do wonders in thee situations. Defintely not to be underestimated. Better than any supplement around if one does it enough.

Getting plenty of fiber, vitamin C, magneisum, and even bile salts(form some of us) can help big time when I'm going through some detox.

The idea is to keep your detox system moving and clean as possible.

We all have some kind of underlying infection, and often metals. When these start to clear thatcan make one feel kind of lousy and make getting up even harder than usual. Keep the detox going and this may get you some relief and makes things go easier.

Also don't foget about AB12, carnitine. They can be taken in the AM and be working in a hour or so.

Also Rich Van K used a Yasko supplement in his simplified protocol which contained all kinds of stuff including NAC. I would consider adding NAC or the Yasko supplement that Rich suggests in his simplified approach. Just go low and slow.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I just count on taking 15-30 minutes to wake up (and factor this in on the rare occasions I have to go somewhere, or if I have an online meeting). I usually wake up a little and take some water and a supplement, then sleep/rest some more until it's time to get up.

When I do get up, it helps a lot if I eat and drink soon, especially something with protein and carbs. I usually feel better after that.

Sometimes another hour or so of sleep helps. My body is often very grumpy about getting up if I haven't spent 8-10 hours in bed.

sregan

You may want to consider doing some saunas if you have a local gym. Sweating can do wonders in thee situations. Defintely not to be underestimated. Better than any supplement around if one does it enough.

Getting plenty of fiber, vitamin C, magneisum, and even bile salts(form some of us) can help big time when I'm going through some detox.

The idea is to keep your detox system moving and clean as possible.

We all have some kind of underlying infection, and often metals. When these start to clear thatcan make one feel kind of lousy and make getting up even harder than usual. Keep the detox going and this may get you some relief and makes things go easier.

Also don't foget about AB12, carnitine. They can be taken in the AM and be working in a hour or so.

Also Rich Van K used a Yasko supplement in his simplified protocol which contained all kinds of stuff including NAC. I would consider adding NAC or the Yasko supplement that Rich suggests in his simplified approach. Just go low and slow.

Jarod, you might be on to something...I think that might be what got me into this mess. I did the steam room two days in a row. I've been a big fan of using the skin to detox. Wonder now if its too hot? (just read about Heat Shock Protein) or It could be viral die off from raising body temperature? I have felt "ill" without being ill if that makes sense. No other symptoms than really wiped out in the AM and a little twinge in the back of my throat where I'll get a sore throat with the onset of a cold.

Yesterday I tried a good dose of Mb12 which didn't help, later I took a potassium and B3 (hoping to slow methylation if that was a problem). That actually helped quite a bit. Took a charcoal cap today to hopefully help mop up my gut.

sregan

I just count on taking 15-30 minutes to wake up (and factor this in on the rare occasions I have to go somewhere, or if I have an online meeting). I usually wake up a little and take some water and a supplement, then sleep/rest some more until it's time to get up

I had considered leaving a multi near the bed, taking it and waiting for it to kick in. Today was much better than yesterday. Still very slow to get up but was encouraging that it wasn't as bad.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have my pregnenolone cream right beside the bed and i slap it on and then lie in bed and wait for it to kick in, then when my cortisol has had a boost i waddle outside.

Freddd

I had considered leaving a multi near the bed, taking it and waiting for it to kick in. Today was much better than yesterday. Still very slow to get up but was encouraging that it wasn't as bad.

Are you taking all four of the Deadlock Quartet? If not, the lack of any of them could cause that severe fatigue.

PennyIA

I've found mine has improved dramatically after addressing my methylation issues... but what I am still doing is that I turn on sound.... I have a timer on the TV, but radio second alarm clock would work if you chose not to have a tv in the bedroom. Something with the news on it seems to work best for me, but music or cartoon-like noise - or especially perhaps music you don't care for... or something. I still have it going off long before I get out of bed, but it's that constant noise which helped me get out of the almost drug-like fatigue that I was facing first thing in the morning. I would lay semi-awake and listen and work into that final stage where I could finally manage to get myself out of bed.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
The best saunas that I know of are near infrared. You can easily and cheaply build yourself one http://drlwilson.com/SAUNAS/SAUNA PLANS.htm http://www.buildaninfraredsauna.com/Index.html I am *almost" finishing my sauna, but the project its parked for now as I am sick and unmotivated and my father isnt enthusiastic about finishing the frame -__- One person here in PR reported in his "recovery" story that near infrared saunas were one of the things that accounted for his healing.

peggy-sue

I would not go anywhere near a sauna - heat exhausts me and humidity is about the worst thing there is for symptoms flaring and passing out.
"Toxins" getting sweated out the skin is just a load of nonsense, buzz-words and psuedoscience.
(in my not so humble opinion)
What happens is you loose fluids and vital electrolytes.

I have trouble waking - I just do it slowly. Then I dress and make, then drink a cup of coffee.

I only shower once every 6 days - it's far too exhausting an activity (and with humidity) to do every day. Cleanliness has to be balanced against doing something.

Once I've got a decent cup of coffee together, I drink that. Then I stick my Vitamin B12 under my tongue. I sit down and have a rest and wait for those to kick in before trying to do anything more.

Getting up requires a good hour's rest afterwards.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Coffee its unhealthy for a varity of reasons, being irritant for adrenals and GI tract comes to mind. About the sauna:
Step Four

Sauna detox

One of the best ways to offload mercury and aluminum - also speeds the metabolism up. I wouldn't start this until you've got mineral levels up a bit though.

I did these whenever I felt able. I bought a cheap FIR sauna off ebay and would shower straight after sweating for a few minutes. Obviously used to wipe me out a bit at first - I was VERY cautious about wiping myself out at this point as it's basically going backwards.

I also started using magnesium through skin absorption. I bought some magnesium oil initially - later Myhill supplied me with Mg Chloride which I'd mix with water myself... Got a BIG stimulant effect off this at first, so I'd use little more than a drop every so often. Gradually built up.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ol-recovering-well-from-bad-7-years-cfs.1263/

One of the most viewed threads of all times in the General treatment forum.

peggy-sue

I'm not a subscriber to the notion of mercury overloads (otherwise dentists and dental assistants would be the worst affected) or to the notion of "detoxification" in general. The liver deals with that sort of thing, not sweat.

I operate well with two cups of good coffee a day, I don't get IBS symptoms too often.

Heat and humidity are well know to be very bad for PWME. (I can't even handle going into a plant hothouse. I pass out)

Perhaps we're just coming from totally different points of view, but I thought it important to give a warning about saunas, from the humidity and heat being known to be detrimental.
I certainly find it is.
Perhaps you don't, but do react badly to coffee? We're all different.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Your comment was valuable indeed, as some people will feel worse on saunas, like those with bad mast cell problems. However, I found necessary to note that coffee its bad for anyone (health nut! hehe) and why saunas can be beneficial for some, or most. Mercury, other metals and toxins (such as xenobiotics or biotoxins) in general are big players in chronic illness and its a scientifically provable fact and empirically suffered by thousands, some of which get better or cured getting properly detoxed and maintaining the detox pathways (methylation its just one of them) functional.

peggy-sue

:p You haven't seen me without my coffee!
I only have two cups a day, I cut right down from 6 when I got ME as I didn't want to overload or overstimulate/crash.
I have (undiagnosed, I'm far too old) ADHD. I self-medicate with coffee. It calms me down.
Perhaps my sources of information about "detox" are different to yours?
... perhaps I live in a cleaner environment?

I'm utterly convinced ME is mitochondrial damage/retroviral infection.

Ema

Saunas are dry heat...not humid (though steam saunas do exist but are more rare).

Heat can have beneficial effects in small doses like a sauna. It can simulate an artificial fever which may be be inhospitable to pathogens such as bacteria or viruses. It can also stimulate the immune system.

For those with HPA axis dysregulation, heat increases the release of cortisol from CBG which can make someone feel better temporarily if low cortisol symptoms are an issue.

Dehydration is a real risk though and I'm not sure I believe in sweating out toxins. Though sweating always does feel really good to me. I always drink plenty of water with a little sea salt to keep up my sodium.

Bottom line, if it feels good, sauna away. If it doesn't, don't!

Ema