• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gluten free oats and enzymes.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I tried taking Houston Enzymes Trienza before my gluten free oats - now its only 3 times I've done it but I seem to have had no or little reaction. When I've tried GF oats before I used to feel quite ill, I love oats. If this continues it will be a big beakthrough for me as I hate GF bread/toast. Just thought I'd share it.

BTW I have tried enzymes before on the rec of a nutritionist - they made me feel ill so what's different about these - who knows??

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I tried taking Houston Enzymes Trienza before my gluten free oats - now its only 3 times I've done it but I seem to have had no or little reaction. When I've tried GF oats before I used to feel quite ill, I love oats. If this continues it will be a big beakthrough for me as I hate GF bread/toast. Just thought I'd share it.

BTW I have tried enzymes before on the rec of a nutritionist - they made me feel ill so what's different about these - who knows??

Can't help re the oats, as I decided to cut them out due to a possible adverse reaction to them after going gluten-free, although they were claimed to be GF. No big loss for me though as I'm not keen on them. Re GF bread, have you tried Dietary Specials lunch rolls or Asda GF bread? I used to love bread - one of my favourite foods, and didn't like a lot of GF breads, but I am happy with those (the latter mainly for toast). The DS lunch rolls are like crusty French bread. I didn't know GF bread could be like that, as so much is really soft, and I like to get my teeth into things!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
MeSci
I have just re- read my post, what I meant to say was I didn't have a reaction to the GF oats after taking the enzymes.
I've tried several times before to eat them and always had a reaction, but using these enzymes seems to do something.
Thanks for the tip on DS - I'll look for that one. I seem to think I looked at Asda GF - does it have preseratives in?? just remember something nasty!!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
MeSci
I have just re- read my post, what I meant to say was I didn't have a reaction to the GF oats after taking the enzymes.
I've tried several times before to eat them and always had a reaction, but using these enzymes seems to do something.
Thanks for the tip on DS - I'll look for that one. I seem to think I looked at Asda GF - does it have preseratives in?? just remember something nasty!!

ASDA sliced GF brown has:

Brown Bread [Water, Maize Starch, Rice Flour, Soya Protein Concentrate, Yeast, Rapeseed Oil, Thickeners (Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose), Black Treacle, Sugar, Psyllium Husk Powder, Sugar Beet Fibre, Salt, Dextrose, Colour (Plain Caramel), Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Ground Roasted Lentils, Sugar Syrup, Yeast Extract, Lactic Acid, Humectant (Glycerol), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Acetates), White Grape Concentrate] , Topping [Millet Flake] .

White sliced GF has:

Water , Maize Starch , Rice Flour , Soya Protein Concentrate , Yeast , Rapeseed Oil , Thickeners (Xanthan Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose, Guar Gum) , Sugar , Golden Syrup , Psyllium Husk Powder , Salt , Dextrose , Preservative (Calcium Propionate) , Ground Roasted Lentils , Sugar Syrup , Yeast Extract , Lactic Acid , Humectant (Glycerol) , Acidity Regulator (Sodium Acetates) , White Grape Concentrate .

ASDA Fresh Loaf Gluten Free Multi Seededhas:

Water , Tapioca Starch , Rice Flour , Potato Starch , Sunflower Oil , Sunflower Seeds (4.0%) , Humectant (Glycerol) , Yeast , Black Treacle , Poppy Seeds (3.0%) , Linseed (2.0%) , Millet Grain (2.0%) , Psyllium Husk Powder , Stabiliser (Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose) , Dried Egg White , Sugar Beet Fibre , Maize Flour , Salt , Maize Starch , Rice Starch , Citric Acid .

If you look on http://groceries.asda.com/ you will find more.

ASDA don't seem to have DS lunch rolls. I think I got mine from Goodness Direct.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
MeSci
thanks for doing that - think some of those ingredients don't agree with me, soya, yeast, lentils etc. I tend to stick with Genius its expensive but I only try to have it for b/fast and when I feel to ill to cook. Now I can have the occasional day with oats I can have a bread free day too.