• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When Lyme Disease Lasts and Lasts

suz9601

Moving Forward...
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/when-lyme-disease-lasts-and-lasts/

Well written and I like the author's tone. I did the two year antibiotic route based on a Lyme doctor telling me I had Lyme's disease (positive Western). Of course my CFS doc and Lyme doc disagree as to what has made me ill, I thought this was an interesting article.

Hi Parismountain,

Thanks for the article. I am CDC IGM positive on igenex and have tried abx a couple of times but get so sick from the die off that I have to stop. I was wondering if you were IGM CDC too or what was your result.?? I have an appt at the end of the year with a LLMD to discuss abx again only with some major detox this round...I am not sure if I have Lyme or not but it has been 17 years and I am only getting worse and worse.....just trying to figure out what road to take next....did you get any better with abx? What are you doing now? Thanks for your help, hope you are feeling better now..It is all so confusing isn't it?

Thanks
Suz

Parismountain

Suz,

We're going back about a dozen years now so my memory is fading on this episode. I met the CDC criteria (I believe I was 7 bands positive on Igenex). I was thrown out of a study my doc was doing on CFS over this finding. I had not been near a tick (to my belief) in 25+ years. I also was positive for Babesiosis (spelling).

I went on Doxy for about 18 months, Plaquenil with Biaxin for half a year and 60 days of 7 pills a day of Zithromax.
I think my thinking improved but fatigue unchanged and then further deconditioning due to sun sensitivity. With the doxy they find a dose where you burn under a florescent light, then they back off a pill.

I treated under a Nina Pearlmutter in Ft. Lauderdale. My Tampa doc was Cichon. I now see Dr. Lapp in Charlotte.
The antibiotics did a number on my intestinal tract, still having plumbing issues since taking that course of medicine.

In my low 50s in age now, slowing down further. Was kind of an outlyer energy wise for a number of years but that has really caught up a lot now.

hope you find a good doc and they are able to hit on something that might work for ya,

ken

caledonia

I've been listening to the MTHFRsupport.com Blogtalk Radio podcasts. On one of the podcasts they mentioned how the CBS mutation can cause the Lyme to become chronic. It sounded like treating the CBS mutation would be helpful for allowing the Lyme treatment to finally kick the bugs.

Of course, I can't remember exactly which show that was, but it would be one of the first seven shows, as I'm still working my way through them.