• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have any success with GAPS?

Has anyone had success with GAPS in significantly alleviating their brain fog and fatigue?

Diets are a huge commitment and can be very troubling to stick to. I just want some confidence before giving this a shot.

Plum

My short answer to this is 'kind of'.

Will try and keep explanation as short as possible.

3 and 1/2 yrs ago ended up with severe ME. Went Paleo. Noticed gut problems. Found aloe vera, glutamine and bone broth helped a lot. Looked into GAPS and did a version of it. Kind of a GAPS/Paleo hybrid as it suited me. Gut problems much better.

I would say diet alone has gotten me from 10% with pain to 40% with no pain.

Diet for me is something I'm prepared to work at as it gives me some results. BUT yes it is very hard work and I spend my daily energy on meal prep, dishes and laundry! Yay!

Other things diet related which have helped - juicing, liver detox herbs, probiotics.

I found slowly cutting stuff out helped. GAPS is manageable for a couple of months if trying to heal gut problems I think. After that Paleo is ok. You can learn a lot of short cuts like bulk cooking, raw salads etc.

Misfit Toy

Glad this thread was started. So, I just started the GAPS. I am having a hard time with the broth constantly. You are supposed to drink it several times throughout the day and it upsets my stomach. I am not sure why. Maybe it's the fat in the broth. I belch a lot. Having it a few times is fine, but all day long is not working for me. I am nervous about doing sauerkraut and pickle juice.

It's a lot of work and it took me all day to get the soup going and ready. Plus, other foods.

Awesome. Thank you both for replying. I tried gluten free a while back and was so excited after the 2 week trial was up (so that I could get back to eating pizza and chesseburgers on a bun). I didn't really notice an improvement in brain fog or fatigue. Insomnia was probably worse. My bloating was gone, though! And my facial skin looked great.

I don't really have joint pain. Just nerve pain (in hands and elbows and feet) -- and it's not too bad. The fatigue and cognitive impairment are what kills me. I'm not sure if that's normal with CFS/ME.

The Spitfire, I really lucked out on my timing. I'll try to follow-up with you in 2 weeks to see how things are, if I can remember. Not sure if these ingredients are on the diet, but I made this once and it was pretty good for being saurkraut:

http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=apple_casserole

Misfit Toy

Bradford. I am still going to try the GAPS diet, but I don't think, in fact I am sure I won't be able to do it to the fullest. My stomach (gut) is one of the worst things for me so even something that might be good can set it off. I am gluten free and have been for years. It has never done anything for my brain. IT helps my tummy, but not my brain.

What you are experiencing with cognitive impairment is huge for many. You are not alone. That for so many can be the worst thing. It's pretty bad for me too, but food intolerances and fibro pain take the cake.

I also have severe insomnia. Severe.

Gluten can be a thing that is good to stop and if you had better skin and less bloating, that means you weren't tolerating it and stopping it was and is the right thing to do. 2 weeks really isn't enough time. Also, eating pizza and cheeseburgers aren't great either. Carbs can be the enemy for those with CFS. Mind you, pizza and cheeseburgers aren't great for well people, why would they be good for a CFS person? I would cut down on the "junk" food.

IT sounds like you might need a change in diet. After awhile, you won't miss the cheeseburgers as much and there are always gluten free buns and bread to have with a burger.

Plum

Bone broth shouldn't be upsetting yr tummy :( You can skim any fat off the top. BUT it should be quite low in fat. How are you making it? I make mine with organic chicken carcasses.

If you aren't using organic bones - maybe it's that? If it's the fat, skim it off. What else could it be? The meat yr getting the bones from - e.g. if yr using beef bones maybe you could try chicken?

I personally think it's very good for bad digestion issues so feel sad for you if yr not getting benefit from it :(

I found it made my tummy feel nice when I had it with meals.

Gluten is so hard to give up. I think we have a lot of happy memories with pizza and burgers etc. I try to be gluten free most of the time and usually manage it for about 6 months at a time and then break off for a few days before being back on it. Maybe it's best to start gradually and change things as yr tastebuds change?

I started changing white pasta for wholemeal. White rice was swapped for brown. Then stopped having toast every morning. Stopped having sandwiches etc. Now, when I crave pizza I make it with stoneground spelt flour myself. I really enjoy it, it doesn't upset my gut in the same way and it's not as exciting as traditional pizza so I can enjoy it and then not wish for it for another 6 months or so.

I think making huge diet changes in one go is really hard. And I know we're desperate to try whatever may help our ME but we need to go slowly and be kind to our bodies along the way. They're not very good at going at fast speeds :)

Misfit Toy

Hey Plum, I made it with organic chicken. I cooked it with the whole chicken. Then, I removed the chicken and took apart the bones and let them stew. I made 2 batches. Organic. Soup usually does well for me.

Do you just drink broth, or does it have chicken in it? I think maybe the mistake I made was leaving in the fat. For some reason, I thought that might help. Talk about cognitive and reasoning issues!

I am still going to try it and read the books. I can't make sauerkraut, as the last time it turned out awful and I live in a small apartment and don't know where to store it while it's fermenting. I tried it years ago and had flies everywhere. It was GROSS.

PS) I have only been on the GAPS diet since Thursday. Not long. Today, I am taking a break.

beaverfury

beaverfury
Has anyone had success with GAPS in significantly alleviating their brain fog and fatigue?

Diets are a huge commitment and can be very troubling to stick to. I just want some confidence before giving this a shot.

I've been on GAPS diet for almost 6 months. (With a few indiscretions).

It definitely lifted my general health a degree and improved my cognition greatly. To the point where i was able to take up artisitic pursuits again. I had a clearer mind and was able to focus more.

Alas, i am undergoing antibiotic treatment for lyme and have been set right back in health and cognition.

I would give it a go, Bradford.

Kate Moss said, 'no food tastes as good as skinny feels'. I say, 'no food tastes as bad as cfs feels'.

Plum

Hey Plum, I made it with organic chicken. I cooked it with the whole chicken. Then, I removed the chicken and took apart the bones and let them stew. I made 2 batches. Organic. Soup usually does well for me.

Do you just drink broth, or does it have chicken in it? I think maybe the mistake I made was leaving in the fat. For some reason, I thought that might help. Talk about cognitive and reasoning issues!

I am still going to try it and read the books. I can't make sauerkraut, as the last time it turned out awful and I live in a small apartment and don't know where to store it while it's fermenting. I tried it years ago and had flies everywhere. It was GROSS.

PS) I have only been on the GAPS diet since Thursday. Not long. Today, I am taking a break.

I leave the fat in my broth but I probably don't have as much as I'm using carcass and necks. I know a lot of people spoon the fat off the top once it's cooled and use it for other things. My body craves fat so as long as I don't go over the top I feel fine.

Are you putting any onion, carrot, herbs in? Are you putting in any vinegar/ lemon juice? I think it helps draw the minerals out of the bones.

I sometimes have plain broth. Sometimes I put a few fresh herbs or bit of spring onion in.

Your concerns about sauerkraut - I have made it a few ways. If yr interested there's a very useful book called Nourishing Traditions. There's a few recipes in there. They use whey to get it going and you store it in the fridge - no long fermenting in your kitchen so no smells! I really like the flavours in the Japanese recipe they have. The book tells you how to make whey and has lots of other interesting recipes in it.

I can't cope with making fermented foods though. Eating healthy and then fermenting is too time consuming for me. I take a good probiotic instead!

end

Mcbride has stated CFS is an illness of totally brocken detoxification 18mths to 2years of the intro phase has been extremely helpfull in those with CFS. So I would not expect much in the way of recovery before that time frame.

GUT And Physiology Syndrome will be released soon and the infomation will be more applicable.

Google "GAPS online" for there dietary support forums

end

Saturated fat is structural the higher the intake the faster your recovery - Mcbride

Trans fats like Leo Galland also stated in "Power Healing" 15yrs ago, need to be avoided

Misfit Toy

end, not sure if I m having saturated fat, I am assuming it is. I also put Coconut Butter or oil in the broth and that may be the issue. Not sure.

Alas, i am undergoing antibiotic treatment for lyme and have been set right back in health and cognition.

Did you start the antibiotics after the GAPS diet? If so, how long after? Just trying to gauge if the improvement was a result of the antibiotics.

Also, what antibiotics are you on and for how long? I've been bitten by numerous ticks growing up and have some minor facial paralysis to go along with my cognitive and fatigue problems. The problem is that I hear no one really knows how to treat long term lyme disease. Prolonged antibiotics can't be great for you. And I hear it's hard to find a doctor that will give you a dosage beyond the CDC guidelines, which may not be enough to treat the disease.

beaverfury

beaverfury
Did you start the antibiotics after the GAPS diet? If so, how long after? Just trying to gauge if the improvement was a result of the antibiotics.

Also, what antibiotics are you on and for how long? I've been bitten by numerous ticks growing up and have some minor facial paralysis to go along with my cognitive and fatigue problems. The problem is that I hear no one really knows how to treat long term lyme disease. Prolonged antibiotics can't be great for you. And I hear it's hard to find a doctor that will give you a dosage beyond the CDC guidelines, which may not be enough to treat the disease.

Hi bradford

I started the antibiotics about six months after trying the GAPS diet, so definitely attribute improvement to GAPS.

I'm taking an antibiotic regime called the Gasser protocol. Used more in European countries, particularly Germany and Austria.
At the moment it consists of Roxythromycin( a macrolide antibiotic), Trimethoprim( a bacteriostatic antibiotic),Plaquenil and Ampicillin (a beta lactam).

I think ampicillin is the only broad spectrum antibiotic of the bunch. The rest has very specific narrow range actions which theoretically shouldn't wipe out gut flora. That's my impression anyway.
I am taking bioceuticals symbiotique probiotics with a good range of (supposedly colonising) bacteria.
My stomach feels better since taking these antibiotics, the rest of me feels crap! But patience, grasshopper.

I have no idea what these drugs are going to do to my immune system long term, but as i'm kind of desperate i'll give it a try.

I started GAPS a week ago and feel a significant improvement. I'm not 100% adhearing, but pretty close, lots of bone broth and probiotics, 50B, adding lots of yogurt, kefir, coconut oil, 5g x3 glutamine, 3,000 mg cod liver oil, lots of overly cooked veg, medium portions of meat, i eat a lot of soups. Zero processed anything, dairy, gluten, grains. No other supplements or meds. I've had CFS for 12 years, or Lyme, or a few other things none of the 25 Drs I've met can seem to agree on. I'm noticing improvements all around. I'm excited to continue. It's a bit of work but not so bad when you get the routine. 1 week is to early to claim a successful cure, I've had a few phantom short term moments, but they don't last. If leaky gut is the primary root problem, then this could be the cure!?!

end

Did she say why by any chance? I always read that coconut oil is good for yeast. I am waiting for the GAPS books that I ordered.

As to exacterly why not to put coconut butter/oil in bone/meat broth? - no.
She indicates per broth: bones, intra-abdominal fat, meat, joints, sea salt, pepper corns.

She explains that Coconut oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil are GAPS legal.
However they perform a different function in the body more of a "detoxification" effect.

You realy need to get the book

Dr Mercola Interviews Mcbride here(very good)