• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating candida first!

Ayaju

Hi. I was getting ready to try Dr. Chia's herbs, but then discovered this!

http://www.candidasupport.org/index.html

http://www.candidafree.net/?gclid=CMKZqYLmjrgCFQ9eQgoddB0A1g

Through the three quick tests, I learned I have candida. (I learned that the candida diet is an unhealthy joke, in case any of you have heard of it). I'm going to experiment with the Basic Kit (Threelac, etc.) and then the Symbion.

At the second site, dude cured his CFS; which turned out to be candida.

I'd love to hear from anyone who may have experience with this.
Also, whether or not this information I've provided is helpful to anyone!

Thanks, Judy

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi. I was getting ready to try Dr. Chia's herbs, but then discovered this!

http://www.candidasupport.org/index.html

http://www.candidafree.net/?gclid=CMKZqYLmjrgCFQ9eQgoddB0A1g

Through the three quick tests, I learned I have candida. (I learned that the candida diet is an unhealthy joke, in case any of you have heard of it). I'm going to experiment with the Basic Kit (Threelac, etc.) and then the Symbion.

At the second site, dude cured his CFS; which turned out to be candida.

I'd love to hear from anyone who may have experience with this.
Also, whether or not this information I've provided is helpful to anyone!

Thanks, Judy

Before I realized that I had ME/CFS, I thought it was just candida. I took a lot of approaches to dealing with it (Including Threelac) and while some symptoms improved, I was still sick. Tests showed that the candida was pretty much gone, but I continued to get more sick.

So, my take is, yes, for some it could be just candida, or not! See what happens when you treat the candida and let us know.

Did Dr. Chia find other abnormal test results?

Best,
Sushi

helen1

Hi judy
I think most of us here have or have had gut issues including yeast overgrowths and have had to cut back on carbs and clean up or change our diets, similar to the anti yeast diet. Some or many of us have benefited from this type of diet. Yeasts feed on sugars so it makes sense to limit carbs among other things.

I would be wary of basing your plan of action on two commercial websites and would search instead for more objective information. The spit test is inaccurate from what I've read and the only way to be sure if you have a yeast overgrowth is through an organic acids test that tests for arabinose yeast metabolite or through a comprehensive stool analysis, but the latter is less accurate as the yeast can be missed.

Rich Vank used to recommend Candex and a number of members have used it. You might want to search threads for that as a start. Lufenuron is similar in action to Candex and I've heard good things about it too.

All the best to you.

Ayaju

Oh my gosh... back to the drawing board! Thanks folks!
Sushi, Dr. Chia found a couple enteroviruses (forgive me for not getting up to look up which ones!), and thinks a stomach biopsy will find more.
Judy

Sushi

Oh my gosh... back to the drawing board! Thanks folks!
Sushi, Dr. Chia found a couple enteroviruses (forgive me for not getting up to look up which ones!), and thinks a stomach biopsy will find more.
Judy

So, maybe you could do both protocols at once? Dr. Chia would probably give some good advice on this.

Sushi

Ayaju

OK, because they do say it takes months, and that many people give up because of unpleasant detox effects. And the other guy, who plateaued with it, said adding Symbion then worked.
Judy
I'm going to try to get that organic test you mentioned.

Sushi

OK, because they do say it takes months, and that many people give up because of unpleasant detox effects. And the other guy, who plateaued with it, said adding Symbion then worked.
Judy
I'm going to try to get that organic test you mentioned.

I know I took it for many months but had no reaction at all--no detox symptoms, no good effects either.

Sushi

Ayaju

OK, thanks, and bummer that it didn't help you.
Betsy at the first site is being really responsive and forthcoming. She said they too tried Symbion. I asked her if she knows about the test you told me about: an organic acids test that tests for arabinose yeast metabolite. Will see what she says...
Judy

Ayaju

Wow, I'm impressed with the email she sent me. What do you think? I know it's all a crapshoot anyway; seems like many or most pwc's don't benefit much from candida treatments? But maybe that + Equilibrant will work, who knows. Judy:

Actually we use a blood test which is specific to candida and can include a dietary panel of foods to avoid (especially important for those with Leaky Gut issues). This test is available through Alletess and measures IgG, IgA & IgM levels within the body. We have found this to be an exceptionally effective way to determine the presence of systemic candida and to what degree. It's on the pricey side and often not covered by insurance ($150-300 depending upon your lab & physician). Great Planes also offers this test and describes it as follows: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/food_allergy_igg.asp
"IgG (immunoglobulin G) testing is a useful guide for structuring elimination diets in many chronic conditions. Individuals with neurological, gastrointestinal, and movement disorders often suffer from IgG food allergies. These people may continue to eat offending foods unaware of their potential effects. IgG antibodies provide long term resistance to infections and have a much longer half life than the traditional IgE allergy. Symptoms may occur hours or days after the offending food has been eaten. The 93 foods tested in the IgG Food Allergy Test w/ Candida can identify problem food so it can be eliminated from the patient’s diet. This elimination of IgG positive foods can improve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, autism, AD(H)D, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and epilepsy according to numerous clinical studies (see references below).
The Great Plains Laboratory, Inc. recently added Candida to our IgG Food Allergy Test. Candida problems are caused when the benign yeast form of Candida albicans mutates to its fungal form. Candida can take over sections of the intestinal wall causing numerous symptoms. As it grows out of balance it produces toxins that create holes in the intestinal lining, leading to leaky gut syndrome. After entering the blood, Candida albicans causes an inflammatory immune system response. A wide range of disorders have been linked to Candida including autism, multiple sclerosis, depression, and chronic fatigue. Use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, chemotherapy, and anti-inflammatory steroids greatly increase susceptibility to Candida."

The difference between this and the test you refer to below should be discussed with your local health care provider(s) to evaluate which would be the best option for you to pursue if necessary. Great Planes has information on the arabinose yeast metabolite on their website here: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/candida.asp

ukxmrv

Candida was one of the first things that I did treat but there were no impressive changes to my ME symptoms. Way back in the 80's my local ME group had a copy of a book by Dr Crook (not a joke). All sorts of cures were attributed to beating Candida. We didn't see any of them. Members of our group worked with a local GP. We did the diet, the supplements and the drugs. No cures.

There is a member of PR who did have a dramatic recovery through an anti-candida regime. He has written about it.

I also had blood tests for food allergies. Eliminated from my diet. Once again my core ME symptoms of repeated viral attacks was not changed in any way by doing that. Had the organics test as well.

We are an assortment of patients here with different onsets, genetics and causes for our symptoms so what worked for one may have no effect on the other. Makes it so hard to tell what to concentrate on. For me the anti-candida and the diet was a waste of time and energy.

Ayaju

Well, friends, the plot thickens! Just got this from the second site (my first post) candidafree:

Betsy's response isn't surprising to us, since they don't promote Symbion (and therefore make no revenue from it). They may have tried Symbion, but I'm not sure what their blood tests have to do with anything (blood tests rarely pick up candida - it's a hit or miss proposition). We just go with what works best for us, and I switched from ThreeLac to Symbion because I had a terrible recurrence of candida while I was on ThreeLac, and Symbion was the only thing to get me well again (and has kept me well for many years now). But, as I said, Mark still takes a combination of ThreeLac and Symbion, saying that works best for him, so everyone seems to be different. All I can tell you is that everyone who has written to us about Symbion (who was previously not getting good results with ThreeLac) has raved about the difference. So if there are any people having negative experiences with it, we don't seem to hear from those people. Betsy Hausig is a dedicated person to helping people recover from candida, so I'm sure she will be a good contact person for you if you have questions or need support while you're taking ThreeLac. The OE-Max is good for topical use if you have nail fungus and we've even put it on mosquito bites (it kills everything it comes in contact with), so you may want to keep it around for that. If you want to read more about what we've discovered about candida testing, we've got some info on our website here: http://www.candidafree.net/yeast_tests.htm. The link to the Long Questionnaire is in the upper corner of that page too if you want to take that. My score on the questionnaire when I first took it was 375 - now it's around 45. But again, how I feel is really all that matters to me. We wish you every success with ThreeLac and want to assure you that you are in good hands with Betsy. They are good people.

Ayaju

Thought I'd share an update about how the Threelac treatment is going!
I got through the first week OK, taking one packet of Threelac (plus a couple other products of theirs).
Yesterday I started two packets per day (and increased the OE and Enzymes as well), and I think I'm experiencing more fatigue already, and I'm no where near the maximum dosage yet! I could only do half of my strength training workout this morning.
I hope this means the Threelac is working to kill the candida!
My thrush is already better.

Will keep you posted, Judy

Ayaju

Oh happy day update! I've finally lost several pounds!
I hadn't been able to lose weight... no matter how I tried... for 6 years (since I turned 50 six years ago). I always knew that one day I'd find the way (I refused to give up, and I couldn't blame the CFS), figure out what was haywire in my bod, and fix it. Never suspected candida! Never knew I had it, what it was doing to me, or how to cure it! Now I know!
Yay Threelac! Judy

Candida is a complicated subject and many of the posts online are by companies trying to sell expensive cures. Treelac is an expensive cure, there are herbs out there that are just as good but much cheaper. But it does need research.
It took me about six months to get to grips with understanding it. Many of the forums and posts also forget that we are all individuals who all need to look at it differently and treat it differently. You can go totally overboard on their diet.
Not necessary to stop eating yeast, but it is necessary to stop eating sugar. The yeast is safe without the sugar anyway. And you also need to make sure you eat copious amounts of live yoghurt every day. Cut down on carbs and processed food.

Ayaju

I deleted my recent post, but I shouldn't have. I was right; ThreeLac is potentially poisonous to the body. Did my research finally!
I will stick with Dr. Mercola's guidelines until something better comes along. mercola.com. Good nutrition, exercise, limiting sugar.
Personally, I'm supposed to avoid dairy!

I would also suggest the love yoghurt for everyone. Even Dr Mercola says that the gut is the foundation of the rest of your body and it is the good bacteria in the yoghurt that kills the bad bacteria that causes candida and infections.
Get some good herbal supplements too to kill any parasite and candida, tumeric and garlic are very helpful and much cheaper than treelac. I would also suggest limiting fruit as it has more sugar in it than most other foods.

Ayaju

Hmm, maybe I'll get back on Zyflammend then. Ordered a good probiotic from mercola. Maybe his digestive enzymes next...
One piece of fruit per day is my thing, plus a bit of 70% cocoa chocolate!

I occasionally have a peice of chocolate which is 85% swiss, tastes revolting - good for zinc, but of course contains sugar. You don't need an expensive probiotic such as Dr Mercola's. You can just make your own yoghurt. Get some plain high fat yoghurt and then make your own using that as the starter and have some every day. You don't need any special equipment, it is really easy, cheap, quite tasty, good with fruit too. It is only those two main biotics that you need, many of those sold in the expensive biotics are fine in your body already and do not need replenishing.