• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Normal NK Function

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
different lab measurements depend on the units they are measuring them in which can be different between different labs. 13-34 were the lab norms when i got tested in the cfs nk study. i was tested every 6 months heres my readings 33(after my first 12 months on famvir and was functioning at a good level), 6, 51(when on cycloferon), 1 and 2. Like i mentioned before they also measured nk bright cell function which was 4.32, 1, 1.95, .93, and 1, the normal ranges were 5-10. The dim cell readings were all in the normal range. This testing was done in a research study so i guess its not commonly available as say the nk function testing. In australia any nk function testing isnt available outside of research study?? In the US its obviously different.

LiveAgain

Willow, CSF Doctor said she still thinks my NK function is low. Based on what - I don't know. Maybe it's like you said and the lab gives a lower reference range than what CFS Doctors consider normal. I wish I knew when all the CFS researchers and Doctors keep talking about low NK Function as a bio-marker what standard they are using. What lab, what specific test, what numbers are considered low etc. Do you remember which Doctor said that?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Willow, CSF Doctor said she still thinks my NK function is low. Based on what - I don't know. Maybe it's like you said and the lab gives a lower reference range than what CFS Doctors consider normal. I wish I knew when all the CFS researchers and Doctors keep talking about low NK Function as a bio-marker what standard they are using. What lab, what specific test, what numbers are considered low etc.

the ME/CFS researchers are generally talking about a research test which cannot be obtained commercially (althouth this is not a recent finding; not sure what they were using previously). some of the big-name ME/CFS researchers in the US will ship bloods to Florida for Fletcher and Klimas to test with their protocol.

This is what they are doing currently:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22571715 (PHANU, Australia; this team has moved to Griffith U)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20520837 (Institue for NeuroImmune Medicine, Florida, USA; this team has moved to Nova Southeastern U)

LiveAgain

Thank you, Willow! So Quest's test may not be exactly the same as the research test. It's hard to sit around waiting for research when you've been sick so long and want answers NOW. Patience, patience... :rolleyes: