• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

californian poppy

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Anyone have any experience with californian poppy. Said to be good for sleep and pain? ?

Deep, dark memories of having taken California Poppy. My subconscious remembers "good," but that is about it. But thanks for the reminder as I've stopped ambien and am looking for something.

Sushi

perchance dreamer

California Poppy is one of the ingredients in Jarrow StressTame. This supplement really helps me with sleep:

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-StressTame-60-Capsules/289

These are strong suckers! I once made the mistake of taking 2 before bed, and I was zombified the next day. My nutritionist told me the same thing happened to him. One is really helpful, however. I've never taken California Poppy by itself.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i have just bought an assortment of natural sleep supps as i start weaning my self off sleep meds, hopefully.

Im usually ok if i stop taking meds, just sleep crappy no other withdrawal type symptoms like anxiety etc
I havent used the californian poppy so will try this tonight initially own its own to judge the effects. The other supps i ordered i have used before and on their own have had a calming effect, so i will try different combos. ashwagandha(withania), relora, inositol, theanine and taurine. Taurine is suppose to help increase gaba production?? Inositol and theanine have their own calming effects and relora and withania suppose to help with cortisol levels. I will also be using phosphatidyle serine.

I will still be using lyrica or neurontin for the time being as they are good for pain and currently having back issues again.

If i have a few bad nights and need a good nights sleep i will swap the supps for a traditional sleeping pill, slowly im going to increase the nights in a row of using natural supps versus meds,maybe 2 nights of supps and one night meds, then 3 nights of supps and one night meds etc. see how it goes.

cheers!!

vamah

California Poppy is one of the ingredients in Jarrow StressTame. This supplement really helps me with sleep:

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-StressTame-60-Capsules/289

These are strong suckers! I once made the mistake of taking 2 before bed, and I was zombified the next day. My nutritionist told me the same thing happened to him. One is really helpful, however. I've never taken California Poppy by itself.

Thanks for the info on this. Just ordered some online. I have terrible sleep problems and trying to find something other than psych drugs that will help me.

heapsreal

I think if they spring a test on someone just tell them prior to test that your on cal poppy. I think a blood test would be able to distinguish it from opiates.
Have tried 2 nights with the cal poppy. I cant really feel much from it maybe very mild.
Tonight will try my big sleep supp stack.

vamah

Guess it was wishful thinking that this might help me when my sleep has been so bad for so long -- fail. It does seem to relax me a bit so maybe I will try for anxiety instead of xanax.

heapsreal

Guess it was wishful thinking that this might help me when my sleep has been so bad for so long -- fail. It does seem to relax me a bit so maybe I will try for anxiety instead of xanax.
thats my experience too, mild relaxation. I think combined with a few other natural things it may help one to user a lower dose of traditional sleep meds??

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
thats my experience too, mild relaxation. I think combined with a few other natural things it may help one to user a lower dose of traditional sleep meds??

Do you think we will ever be able to sleep with "just naturals" ? I keep hoping to find something as I don't want to take any other sleep meds.

Sushi

heapsreal

Do you think we will ever be able to sleep with "just naturals" ? I keep hoping to find something as I don't want to take any other sleep meds.

Sushi
My guess is no. I have been able to improve my sleep quality while on meds through treating hormones etc to try and fix sleep rhthyms etc. I can even sleep without benzo's but it seems though im just swapping them for something else to shut my brain off, but it does give my body a break from benzos, so not all bad. I think my sleep was so bad for so long that something is broken. I think its just one of the neurological dysfunctions of ME that once u have it , then its hard to fix.

jeffrez

My sleep turns on and off depending on my brainwaves. If you want to fix your sleep, you'll have to adjust your brainwaves, no other way around it. Brainwave patterns tend to stay static, like in a coma situation, unless there's intervention and training of some kind. Need the neurofeedback to train them back closer to optimum, and then sleep naturally should improve, if not totally restore.

heapsreal

My sleep turns on and off depending on my brainwaves. If you want to fix your sleep, you'll have to adjust your brainwaves, no other way around it. Brainwave patterns tend to stay static, like in a coma situation, unless there's intervention and training of some kind. Need the neurofeedback to train them back closer to optimum, and then sleep naturally should improve, if not totally restore.

Neurofeedback interests me, but i havent heard many success with it ie cfs/me people. Also the cost is a factor, here in australia its $100 a session and they said a minimum of 10, so $1000 for a shot in the dark for me.

jeffrez

Neurofeedback interests me, but i havent heard many success with it ie cfs/me people. Also the cost is a factor, here in australia its $100 a session and they said a minimum of 10, so $1000 for a shot in the dark for me.

I've had my sleep totally turned off for months by just one neurofeedback session gone bad. I've also had it restored to 9-10 hours/night with no sleep supps, and everything in between. As a result of the NF home training I've done, I've managed to come totally off benzos, trazodone, benadryl, herbs, and now usually sleep with just melatonin. The ME/CFS brain is usually so unstable and delicate, while also paradoxically being "locked in" to whatever state it happens to be in, that sometimes even a single session is enough to shake things up. Folks who make their living charging $100 a session might not want to tell you that, but it's definitely possible. ;-)

jeffrez

Yes, but you'd need your own equipment, probably $1k-1.5k investment including the software. Some guy I believe in Australia makes portable "pocket neurobics" systems (pendant, etc.) which have a good reputation and are on the lower end of the price scale. Sometimes you can also find practitioners who will rent you equip. So then you get the best of both worlds, with them being able to get you started and show you what to do, and then you training yourself at home for lower cost. I know a guy who built his own 2-channel amp from open source schematics, etc. (Open EEG, is I think the name of the project). So if you have electronics knowledge and are ambitious that might also be an option for some ppl.

Not saying any of this is easy - what with ME/CFS ever is? - but it's definitely possible. After I also once had a complete remission from EEG NF for almost a week, I'm convinced that dysregulated neurology is the lynchpin for many ME/CFSers, especially those on the dysfunctional HPAA end of the spectrum. When that's corrected, the immune system seem to fall more or less into line, also. A larger database of ME/CFS brains could probably really help identify the problem better, as most comparisons are to "normal" brains, and even people w/ADD, depression, etc. who typically go for EEG NF likely still don't have ME/CFS or ME/CFS brainwave patterns.

heapsreal

i have heard if u use the wrong program can upset the apple cart. Im searching for possible online systems at the moment. I will look for some practioners locally, see if i can do a deal??

cheers!!!