• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simmaron’s Pre-FDA Workshop meeting incl. Dr Peterson, April 25, 2013

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just got this via Co-cure, haven't checked any of the links or listened yet but I've been wanting to hear this:

Note: The recordings are available on Simmaron's website; the first​
recording seems to be an incorrect file which has been uploaded.​
---------------------------------------------------------------------​
Recordings from Simmaron’s Roundtable: Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS​
Simmaron Research June 18, 2013​
Simmaron’s Pre-FDA Workshop Roundtable: Scientifically Redefining​
ME/CFS, April 25, 2013​
Simmaron Scientific Advisor Dr. Daniel Peterson hosted a roundtable​
discussion in the hours before the FDA’s Drug Development Workshop. He​
is joined by Dr. Nancy Klimas, Dr. Derek Enlander, Dr. Charles Lapp​
and Simmaron Researcher Gunnar Gottschalk to discuss state of the art​
diagnosis and clinical excellence in ME/CFS.​
Read Cort Johnson’s Blog, Physicians Roundtable I: Diagnostics​
Each of the recordings below is about 30 minutes long.​
Listen in on the field’s top experts at your own pace!​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 1​
Content: Dr. Peterson opens the roundtable, discusses improvements in​
diagnostics and identifies immunological abnormalities that can be​
tested. He continues with a discussion of Natural Killer Cells and​
biological measures for treatment and improvement.​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 2​
Content: Dr. Klimas and Dr. Enlander discuss approaches to diagnosis​
and evaluation of ME/CFS patients.​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 3​
Content: Drs. Peterson, Klimas, Enlander and Lapp begin an​
interactive discussion about the needs and approaches to clinical​
assessment.​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 4​
Content: Drs Peterson, Klimas, Enlander and Lapp discusses​
biomarkers, treatments, outcome measures and misdiagnoses.​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 5​
Content: Simmaron Research Coordinator Gunnar Gottschalk gives​
Cidofovir results presented at Paris HHV6/7 International Conference​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 6​
Content: Dr. Klimas discusses biomarkers, CFI and other studies and​
data preparation.​
Scientifically Redefining ME/CFS Recording 7​
Content: Dr. Peterson and Mr. Gottschalk discuss Simmaron’s research​
activities for the last two years.​

SOC

What a goldmine -- :nerd: Drs Petersen, Klimas, Enlander, Lapp, and Gottschalk :nerd: all in one room talking about diagnostics and research!

I'm not up for listening to the recordings (auditory info is still a bit tricky for me, so I'll have to listen by the littles), but I did read Cort's blog. That alone should be read by every ME/CFS patient (and probably all GPs).

Things are finally moving in the ME/CFS field. :D

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've started listening - Recording 1 is actually just a 20 min sound-test uploaded by mistake! Recording 2 starts off almost too quiet to hear but someone quickly shoves a mike on and then it's fine. Very interesting already.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Thanks very much, Sasha. I've read a bit of the Cort Johnson link as I can't take in info very well by ear.

I'm interested in the theory and evidence over the autonomic nervous system being the first system to malfunction during exercise. I don't know how far research has got with this but it's fascinating. Can't take in any more at the moment. I just brainstormed a few aspects of the nervous system to ponder on:

If the ANS is affected first by exercise, what specific aspect(s) of it? Electrolytes? Maybe something (acidosis?) affect their ability to cross cell membranes? Neurotransmitters? Axons, cell bodies, dendrites? Blood supply to and from neurons? Receptors on recipient neurons? Neuroendocrine system/brain stem? Neurohormones?

My brain is too tired to look for the answers but, if anyone knows, I'd be very keen to hear!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi MeSci - I'd be interested in more info on that, too. Some time back, Dr Klimas said that she tried to calculate people's maximum safe HR from VO2 max testing because if people went over it, their ANS tanked and then took their immune system with it. I haven't seen any evidence on that and I'd really like to!

Gemini

I've started listening - Recording 1 is actually just a 20 min sound-test uploaded by mistake! Recording 2 starts off almost too quiet to hear but someone quickly shoves a mike on and then it's fine. Very interesting already.

Recording 7 is 10 min. Gunnar Gottschalk describes all of Dr. Peterson's research studies, incl. those invloving CSF & Dr. Lipkin's Lab. Looking forward to the results of this very interesting work.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The whole thing was fascinating, by the way - I've listened to some bits of it twice.

Gemini

The whole thing was fascinating, by the way - I've listened to some bits of it twice.

I listened to Recording 3 (29 minutes) twice finding Dr. Endlander's description of how he diagnoses & treats ME/CFS at the Mt. Sinai ME/CFS Center very informative. His exchange with Dr. Klimas re: immune indicators is also interesting.

It might be my PC but I could only access 6 minutes of Recording 4, 4 minutes of Recording 5, and 29 seconds of Recording 6.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I listened to Recording 3 (29 minutes) twice finding Dr. Endlander's description of how he diagnoses & treats ME/CFS at the Mt. Sinai ME/CFS Center very informative. His exchange with Dr. Klimas re: immune indicators is also interesting.

It might be my PC but I could only access 6 minutes of Recording 4, 4 minutes of Recording 5, and 29 seconds of Recording 6.

I got all of those recordings - I'm no techie, though, and don't know what to suggest to help you!

Bob

Two suggestions:
1. Clear your browser cache. (This is easy, and often works when there's a glitch.)
2. Make sure your Flash player software is up to date.

PM me if you want some help with this.