• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

buspar/buspirone

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Has anyone used buspar, normally for anxiety etc, wondering if it could help as a sleep aid, probably in a combo, maybe to reduce other meds for sleep with addition of buspar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buspirone
Medical uses
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) of very mild to moderate intensity, without any panic attacks (it is not generally considered to be effective, nor does it have regulatory approval for other types of anxiety disorders such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and social phobia, with or without agoraphobia).[1]
Although not FDA approved for the indication, it is sometimes used off-label for augmentation of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) therapy against depression.[citation needed]

Pharmacology

Buspirone functions as a serotonin 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist.[4][1] It is this action that is thought to mediate its anxiolytic and antidepressant effects. Additionally, it functions as a dopamine D2[1], as well as ?1, and ?2-adrenergic receptor antagonist[citation needed] to a lesser degree, though these properties are generally undesirable in an anxiolytic and likely only contribute to side effects.

cheers!!!

Nielk

bumping this, in case there are any responses out there. Someone mentioned this to me today.

jeffrez

I tried Buspar, found it to be basically useless. If it did what it's claimed to do, it would probably be a pretty good drug. I never heard of anyone really getting benefits from it, tbh, though on the upside, it at least seems fairly benign.

Nielk

I tried Buspar, found it to be basically useless. If it did what it's claimed to do, it would probably be a pretty good drug. I never heard of anyone really getting benefits from it, tbh, though on the upside, it at least seems fairly benign.

Thanks Jeffrez. It's a shame that the ones who are benign with few side effects are usually the ones that are ineffective.

perchance dreamer

My fibro and chronic fatigue doctor prescribed Oxytocin for me. At the NeuroSensory Center, they mostly prescribe it for anxiety, but I use it before bed a couple of times a week as a sleep booster. I also take Xyrem and some supplements for sleep.

The Oxytocin always helps me sleep deeper and longer, and I remember my dreams on nights I take it. Unfortunately, I can only take it every 3rd night, or it's not effective. That's probably a good thing: It's about a dollar for each Oxytocin sublingual.

I think it's only alternative or integrative practitioners who prescribe it, and it's filled through a compounding pharmacy. I have truly zero side effects with it, and I'm the side effect queen.

jeffrez

Thanks Jeffrez. It's a shame that the ones who are benign with few side effects are usually the ones that are ineffective.

Haha, so true. Everyone responds to psych drugs differently, though, so if it's something you/heaps or anyone else is considering, I guess it's still worth a try. I took pretty low/standard doses, as I recall (5mg two or three times a day, I think), but maybe it would take higher doses to get an effect. ?

Countrygirl

Buspirone was used by our local main county hospital years ago as a diagnostic tool to test for ME. They .....and others, I think.....maintained that people with ME had a very unpleasant reaction to it within 20 minutes. If you ended up on the floor, they considered that this proved you had the illness. They discarded the test after a while though as they considered it unethical to risk making the patient worse.

C.G.

perchance dreamer

Hi, Ema. The sublinguals come in a blister pack and say Oxytocin 15 unit RDT. I'm not sure if that means 15 MG or not.

You keep them in the fridge. My pharmacy uses stevia to sweeten sublinguals. I put one between my teeth and cheek, and it dissolves quickly.

I'm not sure why Oxytocin doesn't seem to be widely prescribed for anxiety. I've read of all kinds of effects it's supposed to have such as increasing trust, but my cynicism survives intact. I notice nothing other than the calming and good sleep effect.