• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 serum levels and supplementation

PeterPositive

Hello,
I am new here. I have a quick question. My methylation isn't working well, after a year of active B12 supplementation (with all the other Bs) I still have my homocysteine level > 14. I seem to be stuck around that number and it doesn't want to go down.

My B12 serum levels have gone from 312 to 880 micrograms/mL which is almost at the end of the range. (900 according to the lab tests)

Question is, is it safe to continue the supplementation at ~1000mcg (every day)? What are the risks of going to high with the serum levels?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if there's any misspelling. English is not my native language.

From information on this forum- there is no risk to having high serum levels.

Higher the better.

I take 3000 - 5000mcg active b12 (methylcobalamin/ adenosylcobalamin) every day. If I had the money I would take 30,000+ mcg a day.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hello,
I am new here. I have a quick question. My methylation isn't working well, after a year of active B12 supplementation (with all the other Bs) I still have my homocysteine level > 14. I seem to be stuck around that number and it doesn't want to go down.

My B12 serum levels have gone from 312 to 880 micrograms/mL which is almost at the end of the range. (900 according to the lab tests)

Question is, is it safe to continue the supplementation at ~1000mcg (every day)? What are the risks of going to high with the serum levels?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if there's any misspelling. English is not my native language.

It is also possible that you have a SNP that interferes with the absorption of one of the critical nutrients in the protocol. A friend of mine with high homocysteine found that this was the case.

Sushi

PeterPositive

Sushi said:
It is also possible that you have a SNP that interferes with the absorption of one of the critical nutrients in the protocol. A friend of mine with high homocysteine found that this was the case.
Thanks. Yes this possibility has been suggested by a doctor, things like MTHFR.
I have pretty high levels of mercury according to a couple of hair analysis. Not all doctors take them seriously. In any case I was wondering if mercury itself could be the cause of a stubborn Hcy level.

1 year ago my Hcy serum level was 98! :( It came down pretty quickly, but now it's stuck around 13-14,which is weird because I haven't changed protocol.

Peter