• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why can't I order My Own Tests?

vamah

exactly, because hHv viruses are clearly not a problem (as long as it is not hIv, I suppose), even if you have a + HHV-6 or whatever test result, no one knows what to make of. HHV viruses cause chickenpox, which we all had as kids and most of us are ok, people generally are not gravely ill and crippled from chickenpox (there is a vaccine for it now because there is a minor chance of bad complications from chickenpox/shingles, but whatever).

of course there is association with Kaposi's sarcoma, lymphomas, and stuff that people with bad immune systems get, but who cares about all that, right?

My doctor actually said to me that herpes viruses CAN'T reactivate and cause problems, as I was arguing. But no doctor denies that the chicken pox virus causes shingles in some people. So this was either an outright lie to get me to go away or my doctor was even stupider than I thought. Furthermore, I was never able to actually find out the results of my HMO's investigation of this issue. Apparently there is a state law that says that any disciplinary action against a doctor remains confidential -- fair enough, they have to follow the law -- but they would not even tell me if they accepted my test results from an outside lab and would treat me. At that point I just wanted to hear them say, "Yes, you were right and we were wrong." But that doesn't really happen with doctors, does it?

svetoslav80

This is ridiculous. In Bulgaria there is no such law (I think) and one can make own tests in any lab. I've visited about 4-5 in my city and in the capital and they never refused to make a test.

roxie60

Its a medical union (they dont call it that) where Drs have to be approved and managed by a board then they are subject to their rules. They want to maintain power and control (politics, power and money). There are Drs that just want to do ol fashion doctoring to hlp patients heal but they have so many hoops they have to jump thru. Then their are Drs that prefer the political structure. It is very frustrating but then most people aren't faced with what we face trying to get answers. It is so frustrating.

overtrain

Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.
You have to have a lab order but there are many absolutely legit companies that will provide this for patients in most states with a few notable exceptions. You have to comparison shop and check for coupons and specials though as pricing will vary considerably.

Here are my favorites (not affiliated with any):

Walk in Lab
http://www.walkinlab.com/

Private MD Labs
http://www.privatemdlabs.com/
(must get 15% coupon code from email signup)

I've also used directlabs and econolab but less frequently.

Ema
As far as "Walkinlab"- their affiliate is Labcorp. Go to their site:
Straight off LabCorp: hat items do I need to take to the LabCorp specimen collection lab?
When visiting a specimen collection lab, you should bring the following information with you:

• The LabCorp test request form from a health care professional requesting laboratory testing​

overtrain

Straight off LabCorp: hat items do I need to take to the LabCorp specimen collection lab?
When visiting a specimen collection lab, you should bring the following information with you:
  • The LabCorp test request form from a health care professional requesting laboratory testing​

SAME with "Private MD Labs" -they use LABCORP.

Again, should anyone have good info. on anywhere in the IOWA CITY area re testing that does NOT require doctor's order, do tell.

Thank you!

Search Results [Search Again]
LABCORP [Choose this location]

Located At:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
http://www.walkinlab.com/how-it-works/

Walk-In Lab provides the required doctor’s order

overtrain

Q - Do I need to see my healthcare provider to get tested? A - Direct access testing allows greater participation in one's own healthcare. Yes, your healthcare provider can refer you to Walk-In Lab, but it’s not a requirement. You can feel secure that Walk-In Lab uses the same labs as healthcare providers and hospitals, which are CLIA-certified and regulated by appropriate governmental agencies.

Confusing. Again, the topic is why a person can't order her own tests without a doctor's sig.

But yay, we've found one company in the United States where a a doctor, without meeting the person needing the test(s), will sign a little piece of paper to get printed out & walked like an elementary school bathroom-pass-slip to a lab so blood can get taken. I might go this route. Thanks for this info. =)

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Confusing. Again, the topic is why a person can't order her own tests without a doctor's sig.
For the same reason that dentist associations will crush any dentist-cleaning tech who opens her own business: the reason is that it would take away money. The excuse is that it's for "the good of the patient".

Ema

I've used the ones I recommend dozens of times.

They email you a requisition signed by their doctor.

Trust me, it works.

Ema

maryb

iherb code TAK122
vamah
can't believe your doctor said that - of course herpes can reactivate, what about HSV - cold sores and genital herpes? you give up don't you?:rolleyes:

Andrew

You can order your own tests online from places that provide this. A doctor there writes the prescription. Then you go to a local center (such as labquest) for the blood draw. The types of tests you can order are limited.

To find these places, search google.