• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Genie results (23andme)

Hi,

I have tried to read about this stuff on numerous occasions but I'm not retaining information well.

I am hoping someone on here can help in deciphering my results (my brain fog symptoms are very terrible!) and give possible suggestions for supplements and steps to take.

Methylation.png

CYP1A2 164A>C rs762551 AC +/-
CYP1B1 L432V rs1056836 CG +/-
CYP1B1 N453S rs1800440 CT +/-

CYP2C19*17 rs12248560 CT +/-
CYP2D6 S486T rs1135840 CG +/-
CYP2D6 100C>T rs1065852 AG +/-

GSTP1 I105V rs1695 AG +/-

SOD2 A16V rs4880 AG +/-

NAT2 R197Q rs1799930 AA +/+

I would like to know what order to treat things in.
Which ones need to be treated and which ones are not important?
Also, what do I need to do about sulphur?
It seems a number if these are sulphur issues, so how does that relate to things like NAC and glutathione?
Can I take glutathione or does that foul something up?

Also, can't seem to find any info on NAT r197Q so I have no idea what that is related to.
I am homozygous for that one so I would like to know.

Another thing:

Lots of supps have B vitamins in them, but am I supposed to avoid all the un-methylated forms?
I want to try NT factor but that has the b vits in there.

You need l-methyltetrahydrofolate, methylcobalamin , Sam-e, TMG, GABA..no b6... That should correct your histamine and taurine.

detox the ammonia CBS is causing and free up bh4 along with the l-mthf
Reduce animal protein and add sodium butyrate to detox excess ammonia. Remove all sulfur (sulfates, sulfites, metabolically active sulfur) from diet at least till you get everything going.

Thanks PK! Any other tips on detoxing sulphur and ammonia?
I have Sparga from Nutramedix, but I am unclear on how a high sulphur food is supposed to detox sulphur.
I am using l-ornithine for the ammonia but I could use more help.

Also, no b6 at all? Not even p5p?

My thoughts for Sam-e are around histamine, vdr and bhmt. I know CBS up regulates same and folks worry about methyl donors but because of vdr-bsm and your Comt ++ I'm pulling this in..
"COMT (-/-) and VDR (+/+) will have the lowest dopamine levels and will be in greater need of and more tolerant to methyl groups supplementation."

caledonia

Attend to CBS first. First check to see if it's actually upregulated. You can test for both ammonia and urine sulfate, but around here people have financial constraints, so they usually just get urine sulfate strips to see if that's high. There may also be symptoms, such as problems tolerating sulfur foods/supplements/medicines. The most important symptom is the inability to tolerate methyl supplements (methylfolate, TMG, methylcobalamin). This would manifest as a stress/anxiety response which is supposed to be due to a rise in cortisol.

So in order to take the methyl supps your body so desperately needs, you would need to fix CBS first. The Heartfixer page has a good CBS program, which I've successfully used. The only modification I made was to use the free thiol list for diet (see links in my signature). It's much less restrictive and I was able to continue eating meat.

Molybdenum is essential to support SUOX which helps detoxify both ammonia and sulfur. Didn't see that mentioned above.

Thanks caledonia :)

Where do I get sulphur test strips? If I don't have elevated sulphur, would that mean I should move on directly to MTHFR?

They sell them on amazon.

Caledonia, if you do butyrate, couldn't that theoretically cut moly? Or is the moly so you don't have to restrict your diet so severely to help CBS?