• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tooth Hurting - Don't Want Another Amalgam...

Lotus97

My tooth is starting to hurt. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I don't want an amalgam. I want to know my other options, but I'm considering just having the tooth pulled. It's on the right side of my mouth. I've already had one tooth on that side removed so I chew with the left side of my mouth anyways.

perchance dreamer

Is it your upper or lower tooth that is bothering you? If it's an upper, extraction and a removable bridge can be an option. I have that for a missing upper tooth (second one from back), and it works great. After a few seconds, I'm not really aware of it.

My tooth problems got better when I got a Perio-Aid from my dentist. It's a great way to clean and stimulate the gums:

https://perio-aid.net/perio-aid.html

Something that is hell on teeth is clenching. Do you do that? If so, it's tremendously helpful to relax your jaw and let it drop a little for 5 or 10 seconds at fifteen-minute intervals during the day.

I learned about that from a biofeedback clinic. After a while, you naturally keep your jaw relaxed. I set a timer on my watch.

Also, if you clench, you need to wear a dental appliance at night.

Good luck!

My tooth is starting to hurt. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I don't want an amalgam. I want to know my other options, but I'm considering just having the tooth pulled. It's on the right side of my mouth. I've already had one tooth on that side removed so I chew with the left side of my mouth anyways.

My dentist offers both amalgam and non-amalgam fillings. The non-amalgam ones don't last as long though. I would start by asking what they have available in terms of fillings if you do in fact need one. :)

Jarod

Sometimes when I was taking abx, or NAC and ALA a little tooth pain or other strange pains may come and go over time. Not sure what causes it but did go away after awhile.

I don't have any amalgams anymore though. Dentist took them all out one day. He knew what he was doing, and did it safely though.

Wayne

I would recommend doing the oil pulling technique, and adding a small amount of an antimicrobial product, such as an essential oil like Oregano, or an herb like goldenseal. This might help if it's some sort of gum issue, but might not help so much if you have a cavity that needs filling.

Lotus97

I think the dentist who put my amalgams in a few years ago did give me a choice, but he asked me right before he put them in when I was on nitrous oxide. I didn't know what the difference was at the time so I think I just told him to do whatever was cheapest. Then a year ago I was having a problem with one of my teeth and my current dentist put in an amalgam. I didn't even know he was planning on putting one in.

What's wrong with BPA fillings? I assume there's something since you mentioned the BPA-free ones...

Adreno posted a link with some information in an earlier post.

I am lucky in that I never get cavities. I have a few from when I was a child and I have had to have one of them replaced so far. I used to get unexplained tooth pain and rather than it being cavitities it was related to two things -- sensitivity and grinding my teeth during sleep. I have gotten rid of both to a large extent. They rarely bother me now.

snowathlete

If a composite filling is put in well it lasts years. i ahve some from when i was a kid. The amalgams havent lasted as long.

Amalgams suck in my view, and I would never have one again. Not only are they not safe, but they have other drawbacks too. Especially if put in badly.

I recently went to a private dentist - was not cheap, but I decided to cut back on other stuff to afford it. I had some fillings, including having two amalgams out and replaced. They were coming out because there was decay underneath them.

Additionally, I had a composites done by the NHS a year ago. Always hurt, was not right. I didnt see the point in going back even if they did it free, because I had lost confidence in them. The private dentist took it out and said it had a layer in it that shouldn't have been there - a layer they usually only put in for an amalgam filling. Anyway, had it out, and now the pain is gone.

I am very happy with the work done. Not only was it well explained, it was not rushed, time was taken to get it as good as it could be. Loads more expensive, but also loads better. I think medium- long-term it will be as cheap because it is so much better.

I had one tooth removed a couple of years ago, on NHS at Christmas. It was good to have the problem gone, but then it is gone for good...It can be the right option though if a private dentist isnt an option, and if your NHS dentist is no good.

No guarentee that a private dentists will be good either, of course. But I've only even been to one private dentist and he is very good. I've been half a dozen NHS dentists and all but one were really bad. The one that was good was from when i was a child, and I heard she left the NHS because the system doesnt allow good practice to be carried out. So its worth looking around and getting a recomendation if you do go private.

caledonia

I think the dentist who put my amalgams in a few years ago did give me a choice, but he asked me right before he put them in when I was on nitrous oxide. I didn't know what the difference was at the time so I think I just told him to do whatever was cheapest. Then a year ago I was having a problem with one of my teeth and my current dentist put in an amalgam. I didn't even know he was planning on putting one in.

Oooh, nitrous oxide - very bad. It will really use up your glutathione. There are safer alternatives.

LaurelW

I second that. These days, tooth-colored fillings are very good, in fact, they are better than amalgam because it expands and contracts at a different rate than teeth and can end up cracking them. I am all for doing what I can to save my teeth--many people these days just want to yank them out, but that has its own problems, such as not saving the bone structure of the jaw as well. I would ask around to find a decent dentist to do the work.

Victronix

I had a pretty strong tooth pain that really surprised and unnerved me, but after a few hours it turned out to be a methylfolate effect and then disappeared after I had some potassium. I've been avoiding the dentist for months now while trying to work through the latest supplements.

Hey Lotus, COMT +/+ and MAO A +/+ here too . . . maybe that's what those who can only have the "toothpick-end" amount of mfolate have in common . . . .

sregan

Get a composite, don't ever ever get amalgams!!!

Helen

Hi Lotus,
I agree with @sreagan, don´t ever get amalgams!

I got this reply from Dr. Neil Nathan on a question about mercury and methylation:

mercury is a specific toxin for the methyl synthase enzyme that is critical in methylation. Even tiny amounts of mercury have been shown, by Dr. Richard Deth who is the dean of methylation chemistry, to poison the methylation cycle. While everyone is different, I suspect that everyone with mercury toxicity will have trouble to a greater or lesser degree with methylation.
Neil

Hope this quote will help.

Helen

Lotus97

I had a cavity filled today. They said they don't use mercury anymore so I was going to get amalgams, but there was a miscommunication and they used the white stuff instead of amalgams. There's not anything I can do about it now, but I'm wondering if that was worse and also if there are any symptoms I should look out for.