• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Lower Norepinephrine

A.B.

Mornings are usually terrible, and then after lunch I get a real manic feeling, then late afternoon/early evening tends to be my best time. And of course, the middle of the night (1-5am) seems to be a realy bad time. I guess I kind of have a bit of the "high" after meals, but I've varied what I eat, and it doesn't seem to be dependent on that.

How long after meals? >1 hour at least?
Does you ever have the high during meals?

I'm asking because the body's response to blood glucose getting low is to release epinephrine to avoid having it drop further. If it works, you just get symptoms of epinephrine and no actual hypoglycemia (which would be easy to recognize as such). Epinephrine and norepinephrine give the same symptoms.

It's easy to see whether this is blood sugar related by checking when during the day these symptoms appear. It should be inversely related to the circadian rythm of cortisol, and never occur when blood sugar is guaranteed to be high (while eating and 1-2 hours afterwards).

ttt

Urinary catecholamines are usually measured to look for pheochromocytoma. I think that's exactly the test that told you that you have high norepinephrine.

Hmm. It seems like it would be hard to diagnose pheochromocytoma this way, as there are so many other things that cause high catecholamines.

ttt

NAC combines with glutamate and glycine to form glutathione, thus lowering the glutamate while creating something useful.

Interesting.A And now that I think about it, I guess it's kind of a "duh." Are you familiar with Yasko's work? I'm wondering how it fits (or why it doesn't) in her protocol.

ttt

A.B., I see what you're getting at. But I don't think it's blood sugar rated. It seems to happen within maybe about 20 minutes after a meal. And since I used to have hypoglycemia and know what that feels like, when this first started happening, I thought I just needed to eat, but eating didn't seem to make a difference. In fact, eating sometimes makes it worse. I think my body has become allergic to all food.

A.B.

A.B., I see what you're getting at. But I don't think it's blood sugar rated. It seems to happen within maybe about 20 minutes after a meal. And since I used to have hypoglycemia and know what that feels like, when this first started happening, I thought I just needed to eat, but eating didn't seem to make a difference. In fact, eating sometimes makes it worse. I think my body has become allergic to all food.
That excludes it then.

taniaaust1

[Hi, I have abnormally high noradrenaline too (part of my POTS) note.. I get both low and high BP so disagree with the person who said that you cant have high noradrenaline along with having low BP. I still get symptoms from sudden and very unpleasant noradrenaline rushes during the night when my BP is very low when Im laying.

Im on clonidine which certaqinly helps my noradrenaline and has stopped the in the middle of the night noradrenaline rushes. (unlike most hypertension drugs clonidine can function as a BP balancing drug so can be good for those who get the swing BP of being both low at times as well as getting high (note.. I wasnt aware I was getting high BP at times when standing till 24 hr testing was done), I'd been worried cause my BP is low at night (eg 96/59) about taking it but it hasnt turned out to be an issue and only "very sightly" lowered my low BP more). Its helped my sleep and has certainly made a difference for me. Due to my low BP my dr had me trial it very carefully, starting at a quarter of a pill but I found I can take a full pill without issues.

xks201

The thing is, norepi is a stress signal. So it will rise in the case of virtually any chronic imbalance in the body. I KNOW THIS because I've experimented taking multiple sedatives of different kinds and nothing will drop the Norepi in short without making you sleep. You cannot rely on sedatives alone to make you function when you have chronic high BP and high norepinephrine symptoms. Norepi is like a stress response to produce energy on demand. In the presence of any low hormones it is going to raise dramatically. Why do you think it is older people who have all the heart attacks? They have less hormones.

taniaaust1

The thing is, norepi is a stress signal. So it will rise in the case of virtually any chronic imbalance in the body. I KNOW THIS because I've experimented taking multiple sedatives of different kinds and nothing will drop the Norepi in short without making you sleep. You cannot rely on sedatives alone to make you function when you have chronic high BP and high norepinephrine symptoms. Norepi is like a stress response to produce energy on demand. In the presence of any low hormones it is going to raise dramatically. Why do you think it is older people who have all the heart attacks? They have less hormones.

Clonidine (I know it isnt a sedative as such) but works directly on the Norepi and can drop Norepi without making one at all tired. So in my case I dont need that this high to prevent me from getting tired. Were you able to experiment with Clonidine?

(its great, I take it in the morning and it dont make me tired but I do think it helps me sleep better at night as I havent been getting those adrenaline rushes at night since Ive been on it.. its usually thou recommended to take a night if one is taking it for sleep issues).

xks201

Tania,

I have taken clonidine. It does make me tired. A lot of people use it as a sleeping pill. lol Even .1mg makes me tired. At first I was getting good results combining it with a stimulant like adderall. Now it does nothing at low doses and makes me tired in larger doses. I am more dependent on T3 (Thyroid Hormone) than anything right now.

Lotus97

I experience symptoms right after my first meal (and before taking any supplements). I haven't noticed it happening with any specific food except that I always eat meat with my first meal (but different types of meat). Is it possible that when my digestive system gets started it causes these symptoms? Or does anyone have any alternative theories? It doesn't happen every day though.