• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain dysfunction as one cause of CFS symptoms including difficulty with attention and concentration

Firestormm

Brain dysfunction as one cause of CFS symptoms including difficulty with attention and concentration.

Natelson BH.
Source

Director, Pain and Fatigue Study Center, Department of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care, Beth Israel Medical Center, Manhattan New York, NY, USA ; Professor of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx New York, NY, USA.
Abstract

We have been able to reduce substantially patient pool heterogeneity by identifying phenotypic markers that allow the researcher to stratify chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) patients into subgroups.

To date, we have shown that stratifying based on the presence or absence of comorbid psychiatric diagnosis leads to a group with evidence of neurological dysfunction across a number of spheres.

We have also found that stratifying based on the presence or absence of comorbid fibromyalgia leads to information that would not have been found on analyzing the entire, unstratified patient group.

Objective evidence of orthostatic intolerance (OI) may be another important variable for stratification and may define a group with episodic cerebral hypoxia leading to symptoms.

We hope that this review will encourage other researchers to collect data on discrete phenotypes in CFS to allow this work to continue more broadly.

Finding subgroups of CFS suggests different underlying pathophysiological processes responsible for the symptoms seen.

Understanding those processes is the first step toward developing discrete treatments for each.

I wouldn't mind a read of the full paper but I suspect, that there is little actual evidence for these observations.

I also wonder if one couldn't reasonable suggest that we know all this already. I mean this is certainly where I think the research and opinion to date is leading us: to this greater 'stratification'.

Any thoughts?

Dolphin

I wouldn't mind a read of the full paper but I suspect, that there is little actual evidence for these observations.

I also wonder if one couldn't reasonable suggest that we know all this already. I mean this is certainly where I think the research and opinion to date is leading us: to this greater 'stratification'.

Any thoughts?

Article is open access (i.e. free) at: http://www.frontiersin.org/Integrative_Physiology/10.3389/fphys.2013.00109/abstract

Ben Natelson had a well-funded research centre in the US for many years. He has published dozens of studies.

searcher

Thank you for those links. I think Dr Natelson's research papers are worth reading even if he ends up being wrong in his conclusions about stratification. Dr Natelson focuses more on neurological dysfunction than immune dysfunction which can make him somewhat controversial but I think he is very good at making data-driven conclusions (vs depending on surveys and potentially biased physician observations.) He is definitely well-funded as Dolphin mentioned so has been able to do some in-depth research-- in the study I participated in he did an OI test, a specialized MRI that could measure brain glutamate/glutathione/other metabolities, a spinal tap, and neurocognitive testing. He has confirmed that many of us have low brain glutathione so his research ties into the methylation hypothesis.