• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Meal suggestions? Cutting right back on dairy, gluten, eggs, citrus, corn, spelt

snowathlete

Though it pains me, I have to cut this lovely stuff out as much as possible, so I'm going to require a pretty radical change of diet. In addition nuts give me excema so I can't have them either.

Ideas?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
sorry about this. Limited diet is no fun (I have a number of intolerances as well, so I feel your pain)

are you able to get quionoa or amaranth? (I think those are non-glutenous?) sweet potatoes are nice. can you get non-enriched sticky rice? brown rice pasta?

are seeds a safe alternative to nuts?

I am using a rice protein shake as a protein snack/supplement.

is starch and protein snacks mainly what you need? or something additional?

I've been collecting simple, easy to make paleo(ish) recipes. None of us have so much energy for cooking, so the simpler the better! The chicken I usually make does involve lemon, but I don't know how much it contributes, honestly, since I don't marinate it - just drizzle. So you could certainly try it without.

CHICKEN
Greek Lemon Garlic Chicken 9x13 pan oven at 400 serves 4
3 lb. chicken pieces
3 TB fresh lemon juice
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 TB dried oregano, crumbled
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400. Remove skin from chicken. Arrange chicken pieces in pan. Sprinkle both sides with lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake 45 minutes until tender and cooked through.

(This is surprisingly good, given how simple it is.)
FISH
Simple Salmon
Ingredients

• 12 ounce salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
  • sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet or in a non-stick pan with an oven-proof handle. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.

(This isn't quite as awesome as I hoped it would be, but an easy enough change of pace for nights when you have a little more energy.)
Maple Balsamic Salmon
· salmon fillet (8-14oz)
· 2 tablespoons maple syrup
· 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
· 1 teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
· 1 teaspoon minced garlic
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat broiler and place the rack in the bottom 1/3 of the oven.
In a bowl, whisk together maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, minced garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Place the salmon on a broiling pan and brush with balsamic mixture. Broil the salmon, brushing with balsamic mixture every 2-3 minutes, for 12-15 minutes total; until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.

PennyIA

Home made soups - tomato or chicken stock for base, veggies you can tolerate. I make Chicken Tortilla Soup (skip the tortilla's), Chili, and Stuffed Green Pepper Soup year round as it takes ten minutes to throw it in the pot and let it heat up (so easy). Stew. -- These are all easy crock-pot dishes that are super-fast (otherwise I wouldn't be making them).

For a breakfast that's fast but not cheap - I buy the ham/potato/pepper/onion breakfast skillet packets from the market and take a single portion and steam it in the microwave. It's hot and filling (which helps with taking my supplements) and when I'm in the mood I can throw in fresh salsa. (It's meant to be heated in a skillet with egg scrambles, but it's good on it's own). I'm sure to save money there would be a way to make this up yourself and pre-freeze it - but I haven't had time and energy to figure it out myself.

I've been drinking a lot of the Naked Fruit smoothies and drinking Almond Milk with my nutrient shake powder.

I've also done a lot of spanish rice and refried beans (sans cheese) - lately.

Sans bread - you can do tuna salad, chicken salad, ham salad. Pulled pork in BBQ sauce.

Good Luck - I know I'm now gluten free, dairy free, limited citris and having to avoid greasy food. All was semi-well until my recent oral surgery failure. Right now I have those limits - plus it has to be a liquid diet (lack of chewing ability means I'm pretty stretched). So, most of those last items are things I can eat without chewing - hence they were ones that I could think of quickly.

I've also done some fajitas (sans tortillas) and Mexican chicken stew... of course, 99% of what I eat seems to have tomatos or peppers in it - which means that if you have an intolerance for nightshade plants, you'll want to ignore most of my post.

PennyIA

Home made soups - tomato or chicken stock for base, veggies you can tolerate. I make Chicken Tortilla Soup (skip the tortilla's), Chili, and Stuffed Green Pepper Soup year round as it takes ten minutes to throw it in the pot and let it heat up (so easy). Stew. -- These are all easy crock-pot dishes that are super-fast (otherwise I wouldn't be making them).

Let me know if you want any recipes for these... they are pretty yummy, if I do say so myself.

I also eat lots of sauteed (just olive oil and sea salt +/- black pepper over medium heat until tender, flipping occasionally) squash, zucchini, and asparagus.

One of my favorite meals is roasted veggies. I use any combination of asparagus, fingerling or other small potatoes (not paleo), carrots, onions, and brussels sprouts. Coat well in olive oil, season with black pepper, lots of sea salt, and LOTS of dill. Roast at 400, checking and stirring/unsticking from pan every 15 minutes until done. I've made these in 4 different ovens and every one is different, but usually anywhere from 45-60 minutes. The color of the pan will affect the length of time, too. Also, spread them out in a single layer. If they're piled, they'll steam instead of roasting. I like to roast them until the onions are slightly caramelized and the asparagus tips are dark and crisp. (Some might call that burned ;) )

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
That's about where I am too! At first it is hard to figure out what to eat but then you both get used to not having these things and find alternatives. Chicken dishes with rice and vegetables or rice noodles--lots of thing you can do here, though admittedly it is not terrible exciting!

Meat loaf with ground turkey or beef and non gluten "fillers" (I grate some of my non-gluten bread and you can use a non-dairy yogurt as a binder instead of eggs).

Spaghetti dishes with rice pasta, pizza with rice pasta and "fake" cheese, stir fries, soups with everything you can eat in them, salads with diced chicken or fish, all kinds of ways to prepare fish, and add rice or potatoes and attractively cooked veg. Creative casseroles!

And as Willow mentioned, quionoa or amaranth can be substituted for rice.

In the States we get good coconut milk yogurt which is a treat--http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/ And thing like that in the UK?

There are also non-gluten snack bars that are pretty good.

I hate to say it but people seem to do better just cutting everything out completely rather than cutting down as you will still get reactions to very small amounts.

Good luck! :confused:

snowathlete

sorry about this. Limited diet is no fun (I have a number of intolerances as well, so I feel your pain)

are you able to get quionoa or amaranth? (I think those are non-glutenous?) sweet potatoes are nice. can you get non-enriched sticky rice? brown rice pasta?

are seeds a safe alternative to nuts?

I am using a rice protein shake as a protein snack/supplement.

is starch and protein snacks mainly what you need? or something additional?

Thanks Willow. I feel sorry for you too in that case! It's rough...

There's quite a lot of selection nowadays in the shops so I think I can get all that stuff. I'll try it all out.

I love rice, so that good if some is gluten free/low. Lots of rice selection including the sticky stuff. I'll try and see if any say on the packet that they are g-free. I can have that with a bunch of stuff, so that could be important.
Seeds are fine - I think. Dont generally eat a lot of them, but I'll have to start!
How does the shake taste?

I can eat all meat fine (which is a relief) so protein shouldn't be a problem for me. What I'm going to lose from my diet is mainly a bunch of carbs I think. Losing cheese is also quite a blow and I can't think of anything decent to replace it with.

SOC

Meat and veg stir-fry is pretty safe. If you can have rice, that works well with a number of dishes. A lot of mexican food could be adapted with gluten-free tortillas and soy cheese. Ya gotta watch out for corn in mexican dishes, though.

It's always tricky to deal with new dietary restrictions, but I bet you'll find a lot of "normal" food will work for you. Gluten used to be a tough one, but now there are a lot of gluten-free adaptations available like gluten-free pasta. If you're used to using corn starch or flour as a thickener, you'll need to switch to something else.... agar maybe?

Family foods that should work:
Lots of stews -- just adjust the thickener
Spaghetti with meat sauce -- use gluten-free pasta
Hamburgers -- find gluten-free hamburger buns or do without the bread altogether
Most grilled dishes -- steaks, pork chops, grilled veg
Fried rice -- use any meat(s) and no eggs

Quick and easy meals:
We wrap or roll a lot of things in tortillas --
peanut butter and jelly (peanuts aren't nuts)
refried beans, salsa, and spiced meat
leftover stir-fry (a giant non-egg egg roll sorta thing)
turkey, cranberry chutney and veg of your choice
hummus, oregano-spiced chicken, sliced cucumber, olives (a slightly Greekish thing)

It's not fun to eliminate common foods like dairy, gluten, eggs, and citrus. It sounds like breakfast will be the toughest adjustment -- no eggs, no citrus, no bread. :( Good luck!

Sea

I love rice, so that good if some is gluten free/low. Lots of rice selection including the sticky stuff. I'll try and see if any say on the packet that they are g-free.

Rice is naturally gluten free so it is unlikely to specifically say gluten free on the packaging of rice or rice noodles. For dishes that have mixed ingredients it may or may not specify gluten free. You'll probably have to look at ingredients.

Sadly I have to make these changes too. The gluten free I've already got my head around because I've done an elimination diet which included gluten free with each of my children as they've reached around 14 and migraines have become an issue for them. The no dairy is new to me though. The thing I'm going to miss the most is my morning cappacino

snowathlete

Moxie - the chicken sounds good! I think a little lemon will be ok. It is not as strong a reaction as the milk and gluten. I guess I'm aiming to cut 90-99% of my reactive foods out, which I figure ought to make a big difference - but a little lemon like that shouldn't be a big problem once a week, I dont think.

I like salmon. Not a big eater of fish as I often find it a bit bland, and my wife hates all fish. But salmon is nice and I'd like to introduce more into my diet.

vegetables - honestly, I just dont like the way they taste most of them. I need to eat more of them though, and I find them much easier to eat with some meat and rice in a stir-fry. The problem is the preparing involved in that. Could I bake the vegetables with some bacon or something - would that work?

PennyIA - Soups are a good idea. Obvious, but I didn't even think about it so thanks!
I like stews and things I can just throw in a pot too! recipes v. welcome.

I could cope with almond or rice milk, and adding some shake stuff or fruit or something may be a good idea. I have a decent shake blender come to think of it.
I think I am good with most nightshade family, though I am not certain about tomatos. I expected it to come up high on my test, but it didnt.

Sorry to hear your oral surgery went wrong. Hope that improves for you, and thanks for all the ideas.

Sushi - what is non-dairy yogurt? I mean, what's it made of?

I havent tried rice pasta. I think though, I'd be worried about the temptation of cheese here though - I LOVE pasta dishes with loads of cheese. It's basically my favourite thing.

I havent noticed coconut milk yogurt - though I havent been lookign for it before. I like yogurt with coconut in it, so I bet id like a coconut yogurt. I'm gonna find some. Could be good for breakfast maybe. Else, gluten free toast and honey?

SOC - damn, yes I use flour as a thickener in caseroles. There is a glutten free section in most supermakets here now, so I'll have a good look there, though I know they can be more expensive!

Peanuts aren't nuts? Who knew?!!?
So tortillas are glutten free?

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'm gonna print this out andtake it shopping with me.

NilaJones

Going gluten free helped me a lot, so I hope it will work for you, too :).

Are you interested in suggestions that involve eating out or takeaway?

Thai, chinese, vietnamese, and other east asian cuisines are good. Not only do they have a lot of rice dishes, but they have rice and soba noodles. Ask if they have gluten-free soy sauce.

Many restaurants have GF options, even if they are not listed on their menus. Italian places might have GF pasta, sandwich places have GF bread, pizza places have GF crust, etc. It's good to call ahead and ask :).

snowathlete

The thing I'm going to miss the most is my morning cappacino

Tell me about it. My wife just bought me an espresso latte making machine for my birthday!!

regarding migraines, my dad was a big sufferer, and he tried everything. In the end he had iEMDR which has made him near completely better. No idea how or why it works, he only cares that it does. There are conferences on it that they run, which is where my dad tried it, but once you know how you can just do it yourself so its a free, easy treatment that seems to work amazingly well for a lot of people.

snowathlete

Going gluten free helped me a lot, so I hope it will work for you, too :).

Are you interested in suggestions that involve eating out or takeaway?

Yes, please!!

Thai, chinese, vietnamese, and other east asian cuisines are good. Not only do they have a lot of rice dishes, but they have rice and soba noodles. Ask if they have gluten-free soy sauce.

I LOVE thai food. Sadly there isnt a thai place near me. We do have a good chinese though.

Many restaurants have GF options, even if they are not listed on their menus. Italian places might have GF pasta, sandwich places have GF bread, pizza places have GF crust, etc. It's good to call ahead and ask :).

Damn. Pizza with real cheese...:cry: Life is a cruel kick to the groin sometimes.

NilaJones

Do you have Trader Joe's where you live? They have GF frozen, cooked, pancakes and waffles, which are very tasty.

If you can't have corn at all you'll have to check the labels; I don't know if they have any. A lot of GF premade stuff contains corn :/.

NilaJones

Ask the pizza place if they have nondairy cheese as an option. Don't assume they don't -- especially if they have a GF crust :). Yuppie / gourmet places might be your best bet, or maybe not.