• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Post-exertional malaise or not?

soxfan

I have PEM but it is only brought on by mental exertion which can include working or socializing beyond my limits. When I work the PEM begins when I get in my car and start driving home. It will last until the next morning. I honestly have never had delayed PEM..mine has always been immediately after the activity but can last 24 hours or sometimes longer...and I feel horrible during that recovery time...

Forbin

I think the term “acute flu-like symptoms” can be deceptive. People might see that and think it means upper-respiratory symptoms, like coughing, sneezing, congestion and high temperature. My understanding of PEM is that it is more akin to an acute sensation of immune system activation, as if you are fighting off a viral infection. It might produce headache, sore throat or body aches, but it’s mainly just an overwhelming sensation that you are weakened and exhausted because your body is fighting something off. This sensation is difficult to boil down to one word, so it’s been inadequately termed “malaise.”

In 2009, Alan Light et al published an article in the Journal of Pain titled:

“Moderate exercise increases expression for sensory, adrenergic and immune genes in
chronic fatigue syndrome patients, but not in normal subjects”

which showed that “increases [in gene expression] were also seen in the CFS subgroup with comorbid FMS and were highly correlated with symptoms of physical fatigue, mental fatigue and pain.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2757484/pdf/nihms125894.pdf

Looking at the charts from the research, you can see that the increased expression of these sensory, adrenergic and immune genes begins within 30 minutes of exercise and then peaks around 24 hours later.

index.php

xchocoholic

I have PEM but it is only brought on by mental exertion which can include working or socializing beyond my limits. When I work the PEM begins when I get in my car and start driving home. It will last until the next morning. I honestly have never had delayed PEM..mine has always been immediately after the activity but can last 24 hours or sometimes longer...and I feel horrible during that recovery time...

HI sox,

I would consider this mental exhaustion not PEM. I get mental exhaustion too but recover if I rest a bit. Closing my eyes and laying down for even 20 minutes can usually eliminate this. I have to eat every 2 or 3 hours so that's a given too.

Since realizing that I have constant Orthostatic Intolerance (OI) and that laying down helps, I can't remember the last time I was upright all day. If you have OI, have you tried laying down or at least putting your feet up throughout the day to see if that helps this symptom ?

FWIW, I've been experimenting recently with taking DEX4, a glucose tablet. It's still bringing my brain back to life everytime I start to fade. KOW ... I need two tablets at a time. I have a thread here on neuroglycopenia that explains this.

tc ... x

ukxmrv

In the first 10+ years of ME (acute viral onset) exercise would bring back the sore throat, glands etc for me. As the days would go on the tonsillitis (pus in throat) would return and the high temperatures.

As the decades went on the high temperatures stopped and the PEM changed as well. There would be 5 or so years of less viral symptoms and more exhaustion, pain, brainfog, low body temperature, fainting, sinus infections, spots before eyes, clumsiness, sleep cycle changes as an example. Then it would go back to viral, then change again.

Allyson

I do experience a malaise after exercise or stress, but I'm not sure if it would be classified as post-exertional malaise present in CFS. I'm interested in how others experience it so I can better understand what's going on.

A description of how I experience it follows:
I'm reluctant to initiate physical activity, but once I get going, it does feel good.

Somehow I don't tolerate exercise well though, because afterwards or even during I will suddenly notice that I'm starting to feel worse. I'm unable to recognize that I'm going over my limits. I simply don't feel that anything is wrong until it's too late.

It is not just physical activity, anything that requires concentration, is stressful or exhausting can cause it.

The explanation that appears to explain these observations best is that my anti-oxidant reserves are low and thus any form of stress can cause harmfull oxidative stress after the anti-oxidant reserves have been used up (this is pretty much the methylation problems theory as far as I understand it).

What the malaise feels like?

Rapid drop in body temperature (this goes away after a nap)
Sudden feeling of intense stress, unease, and depression and generally feeling miserable.
Loss of productivity and ability to concentrate.
Pain in the lower back.
Low energy levels.

How long does it last?
It's proportional to the intensity of the activity/stress. Hours to a few days. A negative effect could linger for much longer after intense exertion or stress but I cannot clearly distinguish that from "normal" fluctuations of symptoms (which are presumably already reflecting stressors).

Hi AB - great thread thanks

I have just been wondering about the deifintion of this myself
I wil post on it nest time iget PEM n order to be acurate and i am a bit foggy ATM
but i note my PEM seems to start suddenly and often about 4-6 pm the day AFTER the exercise session.

A related thread i started was on defining the different types of "Fatigue " - of which PEM is kind of one i guess but i did not extend it to cover PEM

that thread is here for anyone interested or in giving feedback
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/fatigue-or-not-fatigue-that-is-the-question.23219/

Allyson

HI sox,

I would consider this mental exhaustion not PEM. I get mental exhaustion too but recover if I rest a bit. Closing my eyes and laying down for even 20 minutes can usually eliminate this. I have to eat every 2 or 3 hours so that's a given too.

Since realizing that I have constant Orthostatic Intolerance (OI) and that laying down helps, I can't remember the last time I was upright all day. If you have OI, have you tried laying down or at least putting your feet up throughout the day to see if that helps this symptom ?

FWIW, I've been experimenting recently with taking DEX4, a glucose tablet. It's still bringing my brain back to life everytime I start to fade. KOW ... I need two tablets at a time. I have a thread here on neuroglycopenia that explains this.

tc ... x

Yes i always have to lie down in a craxh and find lying down a lot helps me stay well too.

on that last bit - when i am badly crashed i driink lots of coconut water but if that still does not work - I drink half a can of the V brand enerygy drink - tastes vile and very sweet but it always works so i wonder if that is linked to the neuroglycopenia xchoc.

Not sure igf the brand is international but it is carbonated with caffeine guarana and - i am guessing - LOTS of sugar.

A

Allyson

AB, your giving a pretty good description of PEM. It's always been very hard for me to determine boundaries because they are not constant. I too feel better during exercise, but it's what comes after that sucks.

I despise the word "malaise" because it doesn't come anywhere close to describing what it actually feels like. I like the terms "Post Exertional Relapses or Crashes" because for me it's basically an exacerbation in severity of the usual symptoms. I would describe PEM as feeling poisoned. Physical exertion is by far the worst. Mental or emotional stress is next. In the past, infections or getting too hot would cause crashes as well. No longer have those.

I used to have delayed onsets, but that's not always the case now. My PEM has changed in how it presents based on the level illness I'm in at that time. At my worst, it took very little to set it off, I would have up to 24 hour delay onsets, it would take weeks, and at times months to come back out of it. At my best (currently), it takes a lot more stress to set it off, and when I do it most often hits me right away and is not completely delayed.......and I will recover that same day.

It can also be cumulative. The amount I do today may not be too much....the same may true for tomorrow and the next day doing the same amount.....but then on day four doing the same amount, I will crash.
Intereting thanks tristen and i agre"malaise "does not cut it.

And the symptoms of a crash and PEM seem to overlap
i will look at mine soon

One thing is for certain - i can predict PEM and cause it - so if i want to study it tomorrow (or the day after) i just need and exercise session tonight and it will always follow at some stage.

I am wondering if the crash symtoms due to OI are the same or different to PEM and would be interested to see a study where someone stays recumbant (and well hydrated and cool) for 2 weeks, say, but does hard exercise like weights while recumbant- and then is the PEM the same as PEM resulting from upright exercise, say. Ie that might eliminate the OI crash symptoms (if they are separate) and just leave us with the muscle implications.

There is an exercise physiologist at Victoria University in Australia doing exercise testing that includes people with ME/cfs but i do not have his details to hand.

A

Ember

Somehow I don't tolerate exercise well though, because afterwards or even during I will suddenly notice that I'm starting to feel worse. I'm unable to recognize that I'm going over my limits. I simply don't feel that anything is wrong until it's too late.

“The hallmark symptom of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is exercise intolerance. So studying it and understanding it and the consequences of post-exertional malaise is essential to understanding what's going on in the illness.”

Allyson

What does the baking soda do?

as a side note i take baking soda when i gt reflus and tht is really good for that - and before bed to stop reflux waking me up at night.

I had read astudy that siad that lactic acid build-up was now thougth NOT to be the cause of muscle pain in normaol people after exercise but that it was due to multiple micro muscle tears - when they repair they build slightly bigger
- which is why muscle bulks up after exercise.

But since i read about it - maybe year ago - i have seen not further mention of it -wa s a report ona apbuication ina scientific journal form memory.

Z

Allyson

“The hallmark symptom of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is exercise intolerance. So studying it and understanding it and the consequences of post-exertional malaise is essential to understanding what's going on in the illness.”

comments on the utube clip -
Ow but stress test - that would hurt! Plus i can exercise with no problem - i could do 8 mins on a bike and i think my test would be fine - but the next day I would not even be able to DO the test (without lots of caffeine beforehand).

Yes i did exercise then collapsed towards the start of my illness.
I did a 1 km bike ride to the park to go for a run ; got off the bike and collapsed - not a faint - no loss of consiousness, like a muscle collapse - I hit the ground from standing.

The reason grocery shopping puts the heart rate up though is due to static standing - POTS, not the anount ofe exercise. In a supermarket you are walking slowly and stopping frequentlynad then queuing at the end - i would trather ride a bike thatn stand in a queue any day. Slow walking is also not good for PWME for the same reason.

Glad we are "intereeting science" now though at least. Thanks Ember.

Ally

Allyson

I think it would aslo be interezting to study PEM after exercise and PEM after something like static standing - and comparing the two lots of resilts

- but i would not want to be inthe static standig group - that is the think i dread most - would rather lift weght or ride a bike .

A

soxfan

Hey Allyson- I wanted to mention the other symptoms I have after working etc...Of course I am extremely mentally tired...my insides feel like they are shaking....and that I also have adrenaline coursing through me. I do know that I have a huge problem that has anything to do with using my brain intensely for long periods of time which can also include shopping...driving distances...talking on the phone (which I try to avoid).
I still had never had any answers from the doctors as to why this happens as in the early years of my illness this was not an issue.
The mental exhaustion if really severe will become a physical exhaustion as well. Laying or resting does not relieve this but will make me feel better enough to be able to get dinner on the table. It does not relieve it at all and in fact sometimes makes me feel worse if I rest too long.
I don't have OI as I have been tested or any of the other problems with that....I have no clue! I am down to working 1-2 days a week because how I feel afterwards is torture...

xchocoholic

I remember reading somewhere ? that many PWCs have a heart condition. Was that Cheney ? I was dx with mitral valve prolapse (mvp) in 1992 at the Mayo Clinic but later around 2000, I was told that I have a left bundle branch block (lbbb). My EKG is always abnormal. Whether I had a LBBB instead of mvp in 1992 is unknown. My cardiologist said that LBBBs are commonly dx as mvps. I'm not allowed to do the normal stress test because my EKG goes nuts.

This was only found because I was taken to the ER with severe chest pain. (From indigestion thankfully). But I was thoroughly evaluated when I was there.

I'd forgotten about this when I wrote that I could exercise freely because I've completely adjusted to living within my limits. As long as I give my heart a chance to "normalize" I can do what I want. This means not riding a recumbent bike at a breakneck pace either. I can ride one slowly.

My problem is totally physical tho not something related to "CFS". My heart can't keep up because it's out of sync to begin with.

FWIW, I've found that I have a lot of real documentable physical problems that were missed because I was diagnosed CFS. What a waste ... tc ... x

xchocoholic

Yes i always have to lie down in a craxh and find lying down a lot helps me stay well too.

on that last bit - when i am badly crashed i driink lots of coconut water but if that still does not work - I drink half a can of the V brand enerygy drink - tastes vile and very sweet but it always works so i wonder if that is linked to the neuroglycopenia xchoc.

Not sure igf the brand is international but it is carbonated with caffeine guarana and - i am guessing - LOTS of sugar.

A

Crashing isn't the same as having orthostatic intolerance all the time. Are you familiar with the tilt table test for orthostatic intolerance ? If not, I started a thread here called DIY PMTTT so you can do you own. Be sure to read the posts past my initial post tho because I can only intelligently :lol: describe my OH and POTS. NMH is discussed further down.

Your drink has gurana which is actually a strong source of caffeine so there's no telling if you have neuroglycopenia. I'm reacting to the dextrose tablets totally different than I do to anything else. All I can say, is that these make my brain function again without any side effects. :D

tc ... x

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
In 2009, Alan Light et al published an article in the Journal of Pain titled:

“Moderate exercise increases expression for sensory, adrenergic and immune genes in
chronic fatigue syndrome patients, but not in normal subjects”

which showed that “increases [in gene expression] were also seen in the CFS subgroup with comorbid FMS and were highly correlated with symptoms of physical fatigue, mental fatigue and pain.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2757484/pdf/nihms125894.pdf

Looking at the charts from the research, you can see that the increased expression of these sensory, adrenergic and immune genes begins within 30 minutes of exercise and then peaks around 24 hours later.
Once I noticed that TLR4s are increased PWO, this study became fascinating.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
The mental exhaustion if really severe will become a physical exhaustion as well.
When I was an undergraduate, I learned from veterinary students on my dorm floor that the ATP cycle that provides energy to the muscles also provides energy to the brain. They said that a person who is studying diligently is using as much energy as a person who is power walking or jogging. Ultimately, energy is energy and when it is gone it is gone.

Allyson

Crashing isn't the same as having orthostatic intolerance all the time. Are you familiar with the tilt table test for orthostatic intolerance ? If not, I started a thread here called DIY PMTTT so you can do you own. Be sure to read the posts past my initial post tho because I can only intelligently :lol: describe my OH and POTS. NMH is discussed further down.

Your drink has gurana which is actually a strong source of caffeine so there's no telling if you have neuroglycopenia. I'm reacting to the dextrose tablets totally different than I do to anything else. All I can say, is that these make my brain function again without any side effects. :D

tc ... x

Hi

I have read alot about TTT an wil never have one as i don tno think they tell you anything useful and make you crash majorly
MY OI was diagnosed by symptoms, history and correct blood prsessure measurements tht showed a drop of 20 mmHG when i stood up

( you need to rest firs quietly and calmy in a darkened room for 15 min - no talking
thenk measure BP every 2 mins for 10 mins lying then satnd and measure same again standing with a chair back in frontt of you for support - els you panic and get more adrenilaine out

so my machie alarmed twice before it gae a readigof a 20 mm systolic drop - then buy the next reading it had coreected up - th tiw how quicly our adrnaline repsonse kicks in.

I have read tht if you dread standing in queues - as i do - you likely have OI and do not need a TTT to tell you this.

Allyson

When I was an undergraduate, I learned from veterinary students on my dorm floor that the ATP cycle that provides energy to the muscles also provides energy to the brain. They said that a person who is studying diligently is using as much energy as a person who is power walking or jogging. Ultimately, energy is energy and when it is gone it is gone.

yes but you need blood suppy to get oxygen and other nutrients to the cells

that is how energy is rpelenished

yes the brain usses a lot of energy
but if you are not getting enought BLOOD to the brain for whatever reason - as Dr Cheney explains - you have a primary problem with energy replenishment - likewise to the heart.

Allyson

but i dont htinnk that is wht most peopl mean by PEM -
PEM means malasie after physicala exercise

so yours may be a crash bt it is not PEM and i think PEM includes sever muscle ahces - mine sure does
if i stay up and work all day - sittingat a des k say which i cannot do i wil be ill and feel bad - crash

but if i exercise get something differnt but with overlapping sympotms - i htnk this is what we need ot investigate more and provide a more specific descriptive terminilogy for

soxfan

Just like Little Bluestem said....the brain uses a lot of energy and apparently that is where my problem is. For some reason I can supply energy to my muscles but not to my brain or else my brain is using much more energy then normal in order to work....shop...drive...etc. I feel the worse when I work which I think is not just using my brain but also the fact that I have to socialize with customers....co workers etc. It just might be to much overall.

I have no idea what it is if its not PEM because although I don't get muscle aches etc...I still need to recuperate in a dark quiet room for hours....I feel it is more then just mental exhaustion because my husband is a pharmacist and works 12 hour shifts and he definitely gets mentally exhausted but never feels like I do....whatever happens to me is not a normal response....as I need to get right home and horizontal.