• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rifampicine (Rifampin) and Clarithromycin for Bart and Borrelia

snowathlete

Anyone got any experience of these for treating Bartonella :sluggish: and Borrelia :alien: ?
I've just started them today. Not felt any different yet, but it's early days I guess...

soxfan

I have taken rifampin before...the only side effect I had from it was that it interfered with my sleep meds so I had to change them..other than that no real problems. I don't have any experience with clarithromycin.

I would give Azithromycine or Clarithromycine and Doxycycline a try to treat bartonella and borrelia...
in your protocol you have only the clarithromycin which is effective against borrelia.. but you should take at least 2 different antibiotics to treat the borrelia.. dont forget to take metronidazole for cystic form of the borrelia from time to time

snowathlete

I would give Azithromycine or Clarithromycine and Doxycycline a try to treat bartonella and borrelia...
in your protocol you have only the clarithromycin which is effective against borrelia.. but you should take at least 2 different antibiotics to treat the borrelia.. dont forget to take metronidazole for cystic form of the borrelia from time to time

I'm on these two for 8 weeks. Then I go back to see my doc. I guess at that point he'll up the dose, or try a different combination. From what I've read there seem to be all kinds of difference combinations that people use and they seem to affect people differently? Doxy seems a common choice though, so I'd guess that one is well worth trying.

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
Hi,

I also take clarithromycine, and after my first pill, i feel so bad... Nearly all the sides effects...
Now, i am in my bed, tired, with stomach ache, foggy, etc...
Did someone have the same experience?

Have a good day

Clodomir

Jarod

Hi,

I also take clarithromycine, and after my first pill, i feel so bad... Nearly all the sides effects...

Have a good day

Clodomir

Hi,

A vague but broad Stomach ache can possibly indicate Herx. So can the fatigue and brain fog.

What you describe sounds alot like what I had when first starting abx. I was taking doxy, amox, and flagyl though.

snowathlete

Hi,

Have a good day

Clodomir

The Clarithromycine affects me more thant the Rifampin. It gives me hot flushes. The combination (maybe more one than the other, but I dont know) are definitely giving me more symptoms. Quite a lot more fatigue, definite cognitive worsening, and lots more besides - more aches, sore heels, etc.
Oh the fun we have.

Hope you feel some improvement soon.

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
ok
thanks snowathete, jarod,

Just went out of my bed, to eat.
Tonight second pill.

Yeark....

Have a nice "day"

Clodomir

IreneF

I just started a course of clarithromycin for Mycoplasma. Several years ago I took doxycycline for the same thing. I don't have any symptoms of infection but my doc wants me to take the stuff.

I didn't have any side effects from the doxy, but this new stuff is affecting my stomach and gives me an awful taste in my mouth.

Rrrr

i have two friends who did clarithromycin (aka biaxin) who said it gave them their brains back. i have always wanted to try it since i heard that. i think they did it via IM injection.

Daffodil

yea IM is preferable i guess...sadly, no way to get it for me. i am on clarithromycin now, oral. been a few weeks...i'm on a lot of stuff and pretty sick in general so i cannot even tell if anything is having an effect :-/

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
yea IM is preferable i guess...sadly, no way to get it for me. i am on clarithromycin now, oral. been a few weeks...i'm on a lot of stuff and pretty sick in general so i cannot even tell if anything is having an effect :-/
is there much of a difference between clarithro and azithro?? for the infections your going after??

snowathlete

both clarithro and azithro are used for Bart, probably for Borrelia too, but not certain about azithro.

I am now on Ketek (Telithromycin) instead of the clarithro btw.

Daffodil

Ketek? hmmm. never heard of that one. I wonder if my doc will change later on cuz I have the same doc....

cigana

both clarithro and azithro are used for Bart, probably for Borrelia too, but not certain about azithro.

I am now on Ketek (Telithromycin) instead of the clarithro btw.
Did your doc say anything about the serious risks associated with ketek? My doc wants me to go on it too, but I am wondering if I should be doing very frequent liver tests.

snowathlete

Did your doc say anything about the serious risks associated with ketek? My doc wants me to go on it too, but I am wondering if I should be doing very frequent liver tests.

My doc is running regular liver tests while on this, though I think he does this anyway regardless of the antibiotic, which I think is a good idea. I read about the history of the drug which was interesting. I've spoken to a few others who were on Ketek and had no problems so that's reassured me. I think as long as your doc is aware of it and keeping an eye on your liver then it's probably ok for more people.

Ema

Azithromycin is active against both bart and Bb. This has been one of the most effective abx for me.

I haven't heard much about Ketek in a long time. I wonder if there has been new information on the safety especially in terms of the liver.

Lillybelle

@snowathlete and others. It's now 2014. Did these abx successfully treat bartonella? How did you know you had it. Did you have the cat scratch rash? Thankyou for your feedback. I just found this scratch rash on my back this morning.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@snowathlete and others. It's now 2014. Did these abx successfully treat bartonella? How did you know you had it. Did you have the cat scratch rash? Thankyou for your feedback. I just found this scratch rash on my back this morning.

I've been taking Rifampin for 3 months now for Bartonella. I am also taking herbal remedies for Bartonella. There have been some changes but it is still early days.

For early treatment I believe that they may use another antibiotic though.

For me, Bartonella was found by PCR. There are about 30 varieties but the antibody tests offered in the States only test for 3 (last time I heard that is).

Sushi

Lillybelle

H i @Sushi Did you have the rash? What is PCR? What type of doctor will treat you for this I know my doctor will not believe me. What symptoms do you have that are related to Bartonella?
I have chest pain, rash ongoing quad pain , hedaches sinus face pain yadda yadda yadda.
Thankyou