• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

So Frustrated and Confused: Need a research coach/assistant. Will pay if you can help.

caledonia

Thanks, caledonia! That numbered list was very helpful to newbie-me.

Does 23 and Me just do one standard panel for everyone? Or is there a specific set that I should ask for, as a person with fatigue issues?

23andme tests something like a million SNPs. We only need to look at 30 or so. There is a member on here (kday) who made a nifty webpage which pulls out the SNPs you need to know and presents them in a chart form like Yasko does. There is also an interpretation. It's called geneticgenie.org.

Watch the Methylation Made Easy videos (link in my signature) which shows you exactly how to do it. I also have links to 23andme and geneticgenie. When you use geneticgenie, please send kday a donation if you can afford it, so he can keep the site up and running.

Your other option is to get your SNPs done by Amy Yasko. That's about $500. The advantage is it will have all the SNPs (some are missing from 23andme), and an interpretation by Dr. Amy. Also it's a blood test which is considered to be more accurate than a saliva test like 23andme. Most people opt for 23andme due to finances.

chilove

One thing I would suggest doing right away is spending $99 and getting your SNPs tested at 23andme.com. You're going to need that info to start figuring out things. It's taking about 6 weeks to get results back now, so you might as well get started right away.

Then I would suggest either cutting back or stopping the methyl supps altogether for now. Get it to a level where you can tolerate whatever the symptoms are.

There are several phone consultants available via MTHFRsupport.com. These are people in the medical field who do consults for a fee. They're well versed in more than just MTHFR SNPs. But they're still going to want to see your 23andme results, so get started on that now. I'm not sure what they charge or if that would be affordable for you. But it is another option.

Once you get your 23andme results, then either people on here or others can help you better.

In the meantime, read/watch all the links in my signature, starting with the Methylation Made Easy videos. If you have a smart tv or set top box which gets Youtube, you can beam the videos over to your tv which might reduce EMFs. Maybe you can print out some of the other links, such as Heartfixer.

Bless you! That sounds much more manageable. I can do that. :) Thanks so much! I"ll look into ordering the test right away.

chilove

It's a piece of the puzzle, and I doubt anyone is expecting a cure. But it can help narrow down where things are going wrong, and eliminate much of the guesswork regarding which supplements and drugs are going to work best, or cause problems, etc.

And it's only $99 to find out, which isn't a large amount compared to semi-random supplements we end up trying.

Seriously! I've spent thousands at least in the last year on supplements that didnt agree with me.

chilove

23andme tests something like a million SNPs. We only need to look at 30 or so. There is a member on here (kday) who made a nifty webpage which pulls out the SNPs you need to know and presents them in a chart form like Yasko does. There is also an interpretation. It's called geneticgenie.org.

Watch the Methylation Made Easy videos (link in my signature) which shows you exactly how to do it. I also have links to 23andme and geneticgenie. When you use geneticgenie, please send kday a donation if you can afford it, so he can keep the site up and running.

Your other option is to get your SNPs done by Amy Yasko. That's about $500. The advantage is it will have all the SNPs (some are missing from 23andme), and an interpretation by Dr. Amy. Also it's a blood test which is considered to be more accurate than a saliva test like 23andme. Most people opt for 23andme due to finances.

Do you know if the results are faster from Dr Yasko than 23andme?

NilaJones

Thank you!

I have trouble with videos. Can you (or anyone) recommend a basic intro in text form? I have read some of the pinned threads.

Misfit Toy

"Living Wellness" can help you out. They charge $50 to go over everything. If you are on FB, like their page and send Thane a message. He is going over mine right now. He is really nice and always gets back to me.

I don't have the time to learn all of this. I am not a doctor and I will learn only so much. IT's too much for me to take in right now, so you are not alone.

Victronix

I had the same feeling when I first started here . . . "what *language* are these experts speaking, anyway!" But within a few weeks you pick up the language if you really need to . . .

Valentijn

23andme tests something like a million SNPs. We only need to look at 30 or so.
I'm in "research mode" so decided to at least start on a project to try to create some other SNP panels. Basically I'm looking at the enzymes involved in Krebs Cycle, ATP production, use of glucose, fats, proteins, etc. The good news is that finding the genes involved is pretty easy, and 23andMe is testing plenty of SNPs involved in those genes.

I'm still compiling a list of the relevant tested SNPs, which is extremely tedious. And I have no idea how much data is available regarding how those sepecific SNPs effect the expression of the involved genes. But maybe something useful will come out of it :D

caledonia

I'm in "research mode" so decided to at least start on a project to try to create some other SNP panels. Basically I'm looking at the enzymes involved in Krebs Cycle, ATP production, use of glucose, fats, proteins, etc. The good news is that finding the genes involved is pretty easy, and 23andMe is testing plenty of SNPs involved in those genes.

I'm still compiling a list of the relevant tested SNPs, which is extremely tedious. And I have no idea how much data is available regarding how those sepecific SNPs effect the expression of the involved genes. But maybe something useful will come out of it :D

Wow and more power to ya. Let us know what you find out. At your convenience, of course, no time pressure.

Sterling Hill at MTHFRsupport.com has done a lot of work on the detox SNPs.