• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rebuilding the vitamins

Freddd

To put a stop to the severe angular cheilitis and IBS, and hopefully neurological effects, I stopped almost all the supplements except Metafolin, AdoCbl, MeCbl and potassium. After several days the cheilitis and IBS subsided considerably and the paralyzed gut were all gone and the heart arrhythmias normalized. I have restarted building the groups of vitamins. Zinc, adding 50mg to the 15 mg I already was taking had a major startup effect, a sizable increase in energy and a relief of depression that had started to build up.

Sometimes things appear to be unable to return to a previous state. The "over B2" effect didn't go away on it's own even when cutting way back on b2 down to only the 20mg contents of a b-complex. Now I am rebuilding with those things that make their absence felt or have no effect on these things. I'm trying to re-establish neurological healing that had restarted before the increased B2 trial. Somewhere I may run into a combination that sets things off again and it is good to know how to recognize it. Just backing off on the latest items wasn't enough to reverse this problem. To stop it required stopping b-complex and most everything else for about a week. It's good to be able to eat again without all the nausea. It's good to have things working right. I don't know how good an idea stopping it all was but I had to get things back to a more functional state. Within another week I will have rebuilt the vitamin structure without any extra B vitamins and then I'll see.

Freddd

Having to figure this out, how the nutritional response to active B12 and folates actually works, is needed NOW because the research establishment screwed the pooch on this one for the last 60 years, focused on folic acid and CyCbl/HyCbl. That is why most of us here are sick. We are being selectively starved to death of 3 critical vitamins.

Instead, the research establishment doesn't recognize partial methylation block, methyltrap and partial ATP block. Instead they have dozens of names for the resulting diseases caused by long term damage without recognizing how it got there. So all these little side paths have never been explored. If they had been this effect of B2 should be known instead of ambushing us.

That is why most of us here are sick. We are being selectively starved to death of 3 critical vitamins.
No, most of us here are sick because we have ME/CFS. If the problem were only vitamins which most of have already tried extensively in various ways, we'd be cured.

Methylation and various B12 protocols can help somewhat, but it's a far cry from a cure. Hence it seems unlikely to be the cause.

Red04

No, most of us here are sick because we have ME/CFS. If the problem were only vitamins which most of have already tried extensively in various ways, we'd be cured.

Methylation and various B12 protocols can help somewhat, but it's a far cry from a cure. Hence it seems unlikely to be the cause.

They help 100% for some people. A lot of people.

I think the question is, why do some see miraculous recoveries with similar symptom subsets and others on here who see little/no benefit? Is it the application of the protocols? Is it different genetics? Is it other hurdles caused by ME/CFS/? Is it some completely unrelated health hurdles? Digestion? Allergies?

What makes someone with the same basic diagnosis not able to recover with methlyation protocols? I hope the answer may lie with the poeple who have the most trouble and then eventually breakthrough....

I find it hard to believe that the two groups of people have totally different "causes".

I think the question is, why do some see miraculous recoveries with similar symptom subsets and others on here who see little/no benefit? Is it the application of the protocols? Is it different genetics? Is it other hurdles caused by ME/CFS/? Is it some completely unrelated health hurdles? Digestion? Allergies?
I'd guess the difference is that some have a vitamin B12 deficiency and some have CCC or ICC defined ME/CFS.

Red04

I'd guess the difference is that some have a vitamin B12 deficiency and some have CCC or ICC defined ME/CFS.

I don't think you can group all the MTHFR, Autism, B12, and all the other doctors making headway into "vitamin B12 deficiency". Something likely links all these together and encompasses many CFS/ME patients.

Once I found out what a "Syndrome" was I stopped wanting to recognize it as a medical term. It basically means we don't know very much, so here is a group of symptoms. What about IBS? Same thing.... We don't know if this is Celiac disease or Milk allergy or what could be causing it, but you have it and here are some chemicals to help.

PennyIA

I agree, it is my belief that it might be one of the subset groupings that could be simply tested for by testing for all the methylation genes (not just the two MTHFR genes that my doctor would suggest). There are probably other subsets for which they might not have methylation issues that no matter what they try it might not helpt hem.

arx

I have a question on zinc.

I've been researching zinc deficiency and copper toxicity for some days. Out of the serum,24 hour urine and random urine,which test will give the closest idea of a zinc deficiency(and therefore,copper toxicity?)? I have psych,cognitive symptoms and things like dandruff and acne. They seem to fit in with Zinc deficiency and/or Copper toxicity. I really need some idea about how to go about it.

Thanks!

Red04

To put a stop to the severe angular cheilitis and IBS, and hopefully neurological effects, I stopped almost all the supplements except Metafolin, AdoCbl, MeCbl and potassium. After several days the cheilitis and IBS subsided considerably and the paralyzed gut were all gone and the heart arrhythmias normalized. I have restarted building the groups of vitamins. Zinc, adding 50mg to the 15 mg I already was taking had a major startup effect, a sizable increase in energy and a relief of depression that had started to build up.

Sometimes things appear to be unable to return to a previous state. The "over B2" effect didn't go away on it's own even when cutting way back on b2 down to only the 20mg contents of a b-complex. Now I am rebuilding with those things that make their absence felt or have no effect on these things. I'm trying to re-establish neurological healing that had restarted before the increased B2 trial. Somewhere I may run into a combination that sets things off again and it is good to know how to recognize it. Just backing off on the latest items wasn't enough to reverse this problem. To stop it required stopping b-complex and most everything else for about a week. It's good to be able to eat again without all the nausea. It's good to have things working right. I don't know how good an idea stopping it all was but I had to get things back to a more functional state. Within another week I will have rebuilt the vitamin structure without any extra B vitamins and then I'll see.

Are there any other cofactors that aren't absorbed well when taken orally like b12. Is that the only supplement that should not be taken orally? Have you experimented with any others? I just keep going back to absoprtion to explain the wide array of reactions to the protocols.

L'engle

moogle
I'm backing off on my cofactors as well to get the hypokalemia back under control. Taking 2000mg throughout the day I can handle but over the last month it's been so bad that I have to load upo an amount that hurts my stomach even with food, plus drink about twice as much water as is comfortable to get all the tablets down. Eve so I'm waking up at 5am with the telltale leg cramps annd 'wrong' feeling from then on it's a treadmill of food, water, tablets, waiting for it to absorb, then getting to sleep maybe for half an hiur before irs leg cramps, food, water, tablets time again. By the time I've done this twice my stomach hurts from the tablets and sine I've had to have a couple glasses of water to get the teablets down I have recurring bladder urgency. So by the time I want to be waking up and taking the methylb12, i've had only 6 hours sleep.

This truly isn't bearable. I feel like going in and out of hypokalemia day and night is having an overall bad effect on me. I stopped my b complex last week and today I won't take TMG or zinc, just the basic methyl b12n folate and potassium. I want to figure out if it the b complex, the TMG or just the b12 itself that is somehow causing the hypokalemia to go over the edge.