• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bizarre hot front of neck symptom

Shell

I have lost my voice again. Nothing unusual in that, it comes and goes all the time. GP thinks it's the Seretide and I'm on a truck load so he could be right.
However I have now run out (my son is getting the replacement tomorrow) and my voice is still gone.
I am finding swallowing harder and feel a sort of "lump" around my voice box.
But the weirdest thing of all is how hot the front of my neck is. So it get red and I get localised sweating just at the front of my neck.
Has anyone else had anything this weird?

I am in a crash - can't move around much, so it could be part of that. I dunno...

Seeing lung Spec 2nd July and Cardio in August. Not sure if any of this is lung or dysauto related though.

Ema

It could possibly be related to your thyroid. That's where it is located in your throat.

Burning, aching and trouble swallowing are common symptoms as are feelings of lumps. It's pretty typical to feel hoarse or lose your voice as well.

Neck sweating also comes up on a google search as a symptom of thyroid issues though I've not seen that one myself. Red neck also comes up for thyroiditis.

Has your doctor palpitated your thyroid? You could also have a thyroid ultrasound to check.

Ema

Sparrow

The heat isn't something I've experienced. I do sometimes get a weird pain in my neck when I'm crashy and not moving it around much - it's almost like something gets pinched in place, or folded over weirdly, if that makes any sense. It usually goes away pretty quickly if I stretch my neck up for a while, though. And it doesn't come with the other strangeness you're talking about.

I had a really bad and painful lump in my throat for a while, but it turned out to most likely be inflammation of the esophagus from a pill scraping it slightly when I didn't take quite a big enough gulp of water with one (I didn't even know it had happened at the time - didn't notice at all). It went away eventually, though for a while it would flare up every time I swallowed anything.

That doesn't sound quite like what you're describing either, though. I'm mentioning it mostly for the sake of other people who come across this thread in the future looking for clues about their sore neck or the lump in their throat.

Hope you figure yours out soon. These weird but severe mystery symptoms are the worst. It can be so hard to get a doctor's help with them.

Shell

Thanks. I was hoping it wouldn't be thyroid. I know it'll be a right battle to get anyone to help me there.
I've also wonder if my voice box is up to no good.
Most of the severe breathing probs I've been having over the last few months are URT with only a few time being further into my lungs. Often get a kind of strangled feeling.

I am getting to the point when I just don't want to have any more hoops to jump through. I'm too knackered.
I need a body transplant. :ill:lol

A.B.

I have lost my voice again. Nothing unusual in that, it comes and goes all the time. GP thinks it's the Seretide and I'm on a truck load so he could be right.
However I have now run out (my son is getting the replacement tomorrow) and my voice is still gone.
I am finding swallowing harder and feel a sort of "lump" around my voice box.
But the weirdest thing of all is how hot the front of my neck is. So it get red and I get localised sweating just at the front of my neck.

Sounds like thyroiditis. Did you ever have thyroid antibodies checked? There are some non-autoimmune forms of it too I believe.

Shell

Had TSH and fT4 done last July when I was admitted with seizures.

TSH 3.28 and fT4 14.6 so I don't think an NHS doc will want to repeat them.

I don't know what else my hormones are up to, though I assume I'm in perimenapause now. I suppose I should start charting again as thyroid issues show clearly then.
The Prof has said he would test "fight and flight" which I assume means looking at epinephrine etc and possibly pituitary but he hasn't started down that road yet as we are still sorting out the Ivabradine for IST.

I've not heard back about the ANAs for Lupus so I assume they were neg.

As I've just been tested for renal and cardiac failure and Lupus, I am a bit nervous about asking for anything else. He's referred me for so many things over the last three years and apart from the Prof Cardio I've always been discharged back to GP care. I am worried my very good GP will want to give up.

I had signs of thyroid problems a few years ago on my charts with minimal other symptoms and self fixed with sea kelp. I wonder if that would be safe to do this time when I have symptoms.
Even though the ANAs must have been neg I tick every Lupus box going including the St. Thomas Lupus Trust alternative dx, except I haven't had a severe reaction to Septrin and I've had it a few times in my childhood.
Argh! I hate this stupid unnecessarily complicated disease.

A.B.

Had TSH and fT4 done last July when I was admitted with seizures.

TSH 3.28 and fT4 14.6 so I don't think an NHS doc will want to repeat them.

TSH, fT4 are not specific tests for thyroiditis. Euthyroid symptomatic thyroiditis exists.

PS: besides, this test is over a year old. It doesn't reflect the current state of the thyroid. Autoimmune disease also tends to wax and wane which might explain why this problem comes and goes.

Ema

TSH, fT4 are not specific tests for thyroiditis. Euthyroid symptomatic thyroiditis exists.

PS: besides, this test is over a year old. It doesn't reflect the current state of the thyroid. Autoimmune disease also tends to wax and wane which might explain why this problem comes and goes.
Plus you really need thyroid antibodies done. Both TPOAb and TgAb.

Your TSH was on the high end of the range and your FT4 on the low end of the range when tested last. With all your symptoms, I don't see it being out of line to ask for them to all be redone now. I would try to go during a flare if at all possible.

Ema