• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Cytokine/Chemokine profile

Daffodil

i have to travel to buffalo to get that test....dang. i am too sick to walk! lol...i will have to go to quest since i owe labcorp a couple of grand!

xray...how long have you had CFS? perhaps LDN normalized your cytokines...but RNase L is more a reflection of the virus being active and it is still active.....just a guess

redo

As I see it, the cytokine unbalance may very well come from a viral infection. But there are several ways a viral infection can cause such unbalances. The obvious way would be disrupting the immune system directly. But judging from the exerpt below (from the wiki article about Castleman's) it seems like the virus itself can have "a virus encoded cytokine.

"In all cases, Castleman's disease is likely due to hypersecretion of the cytokine IL-6.
In tumors that are positive for Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV), also called human herpes virus 8 (HHV-8), this is most likely due to expression of the virus-encoded cytokine, vIL-6."

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
i have to travel to buffalo to get that test....dang. i am too sick to walk! lol...i will have to go to quest since i owe labcorp a couple of grand!

xray...how long have you had CFS? perhaps LDN normalized your cytokines...but RNase L is more a reflection of the virus being active and it is still active.....just a guess

Hey Daffodil - Quest Diagnostics has a "Patient Assistance Program" that may be of help. I usually use Labcorp myself, but they do not offer an assistance program.

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/patient/FinancialAssistance/index.html

Oops!! Didn't realize your post was that old, but I'll leave my reply up so that it may help another member or guest.

snowathlete

Hi rrr,

I think VIP offers these tests. They don't give the list of tests on their website but they do on their requisition forms. I have a copy and they list tests like--Cytokine Inflammatory Profile, plus Immune Profiles 1 & 2. Course they are expensive and no guarantees about Medicare. For instance, the Cytokine Inflammatory Profile costs $400.

Also, if you look at K. De Meirlier's poster paper from the XMRV conference, he suggests that immune markers like these could be "signatures" for ME/CFS. He also lists the immune values he found in 16 patients.

Sushi

Hi Sushi,

Do you happen to know where I can find a copy of this poster? Would like to compare those results to my recent ones.
Cheers!