• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Soya milk tastes rank!

snowathlete

Me too - about to go dairy free for a week or two. Just went to Sainsbury's and they sell hemp milk there.
I agree the soya brands vary enormously.
I don't like the rice - but I have tried oat milk, not so good in coffee, but fine in my porridge . So I bought the almond to try....
I found the lactose free can go off quite quickly , so I froze half to be on the safe side.

That's good to know that they sell Kemp milk in Sainsbury's. Thanks, I'll be trying that.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sheesh! It never ends with this illness, does it? :rolleyes: Okay, rice milk it is unless someone knows of a reason that may be problematic. :D

Ha ha yes try googling rice milk and arsenic!!!!!!

I've got everything I need to have a go at making my own - my first attempt doesn't count (what a disaster - so bad I was crying laughing at the mess)
now got new blender, butter muslin so good to go..........I think

ps - almond is on my list of intolerances so that ones out. Coconut is okay in small amounts - but think there is some sensitivity there too. Its hard work.

snowathlete

tried the almond milk. a lot better than the soya. I could drink a cup of it, I suppose.

But it does not taste nice in coffee. The flavour is too strong and overpowers the coffee.

Valentijn

tried the almond milk. a lot better than the soya. I could drink a cup of it, I suppose.

But it does not taste nice in coffee. The flavour is too strong and overpowers the coffee.
If you want a "neutral" substitution, rice or soy is better. There's even non-dairy creamers made from those. Things like coconut and almond only really work if you like those flavors a lot, because they are very distinctive.

It also might just take some getting used to :p

maddietod

I bought hemp milk yesterday, and I like it better in coffee than any of the other nondairy milks or creamers. The flavor is pretty neutral, and the hemp isn't thin like rice milk. It also froths nicely for lattes. For people in the US, I bought Pacific brand, unsweetened.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I find the hemp pretty neutral too. And for me the problem with the rice milk as, as madie said, it is too thin to work well in things like coffee. I don't actually drink any of these milks, just use them as ingredients in things.

Sushi

PennyIA

I think they also have a version without the vanilla and without the extra sweetener.... that might be 'less strong'?

snowathlete

I bought hemp milk yesterday, and I like it better in coffee than any of the other nondairy milks or creamers. The flavor is pretty neutral, and the hemp isn't thin like rice milk. It also froths nicely for lattes. For people in the US, I bought Pacific brand, unsweetened.

Yes rice milk is too thin. Quite nice, bareable in coffee too but too insubstantial. Hemp milk is next on my list.

I think they also have a version without the vanilla and without the extra sweetener.... that might be 'less strong'?

Yes I was surprised you said that about the almond milk - snow. I just tried the almond and I liked it, almost didn't notice the difference bet real milk. So maybe you did get the vanilla one, I don't think mine had vanilla. Come to think of it I may well have bought the Sainsbury's one if I was there. It does not freeze very well though, it all separates, but I suppose its ok, so I just whisked it back together. Havent noticed any improvement in energy thou, & its been 5 days. Been a bit easier than I thought thou.

Soy milk & all soy products gives me the runs! :eek:

Its not widely known but some people who are allergic to bovine/cow's milk (protein) can also be allergic to soy protein. I'm allergic to both, so it does wonders for my whizz-poppers!

Rice milk is a bit yuck too.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I like Silk brand soy milk. In the light variety, either original or vanilla. I've tried other brands that were not very tasty.
The light version is not so thick and to me, I know prefer to cow's milk.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I haven't been following this thread so forgive me if this came up but, having not eaten soya for a long time, I tried a soya milk cappucino a couple of days ago and a few hours afterwards my limbs felt absolutely leaden and my face started to feel hot and swollen, particularly my lips - though I looked normal :alien: in the mirror. It wore off after a few hours.

Surprising because I've eaten tofu in the past with no problem and it's not something I've often eaten and I've never had this face symptom.

Was that likely to have been an allergy?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
If you hadn't taken any other supps I would say you have an intolerance/sensitivity. The heaviness is typical, I usually feel like I need to sleep too.

Allergic reactions are a bit more frightening and can include - tingling in the lips, throat swells, cough etc etc. Either way its good to stay away from stuff like that, I think with our weakened systems it can easily develop into full blown allergy. Good idea to always have anti-histamine in the cupboard.

My left eyelid droops down onto my cheek if I touch strawberries - I ate them a couple of times before I realised the connection. We can all have different reactions.

snowathlete

I've bought some coconut milk. I dont have high expectations, but I'm gonna give it a try today.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I suddenly can't have milk products any more and I'm very sad about that, too!

I've been using almond milk on my cereal (I agree that rice milk is too thin for this) and in shakes. I haven't seen a safe hemp milk but maybe I should check again.

My almond milk has locust bean gum and gellan gum in it. Are those bad? I am not 100% sure it is perfectly safe, but I have to use something and it's the safest thing I can find so far. (I can't eat any soy anything).

Well, the coconut milk is safe but it isn't nice in shakes. I didn't try it on cereal after trying it in a shake. My sister compares it to using shortening.

snowathlete

And...Hemp milk wins the prize!

It's not milk, but its the closest thing I have found so far!

I am lucky actually, because I live in a very small town and there are not many shops on the highstreet. There is a small looking health supplements store though and I checked it out today - they have LOADS of dietry foods. They even had coconut icecream but at £7 something for a small tub, I decided to give that a miss!
I have some fake cheese to try and some decent looking rye bread, some ok oat and dark chocolate biscuits and they sell loads of other stuff that I can eat too. :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
And...Hemp milk wins the prize!

foods. They even had coconut icecream but at £7 something for a small tub, I decided to give that a miss!
I have some fake cheese to try and some decent looking rye bread, some ok oat and dark chocolate biscuits and they sell loads of other stuff that I can eat too. :)

Rye has gluten in it and often rye bread contains wheat flour. :(

Glad the hemp milk works for you. I find it the best all purpose. Wish I could send you some coconut milk ice-cream and yogurt!

Sushi

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I have a sensitivity to milk too, and I agree that Soya milk is gross. My solution was not to drink milk at all.

Vegans have the same thing with those horrible "meat substitute" products. When the substitute is gross, I guess it shows the need for a real choice to be made.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I have a sensitivity to milk too, and I agree that Soya milk is gross. My solution was not to drink milk at all.

Vegans have the same thing with those horrible "meat substitute" products. When the substitute is gross, I guess it shows the need for a real choice to be made.