• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I'm so scared; am I doing the right thing?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
NilaJones

Potassium citrate seems good for me. It doesn't bother my gut at all but then my gut is not very sensitive. I think it is a pretty well absorbed form.

Sushi

Victronix

I also have a long history of severe stomach issues and the powder form has not bothered me at all. I use this -- http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Gluconate-100-Pure-Powder-1-lb-454-g/13939

Low potassium will create stomach issues, on top of whatever else you have, since when it gets low, digestion slows and then a lot of gas gets created. You can also get constipated if its low.

The question of WHY some of us need so much potassium when we take methylators is still a question. I'm hoping we will uncover that at some point. I know that magnesium can be a factor in potassium absorption and I know that without taking magnesium I get deficient. But I don't think that's the actual reason, just a factor in probably worsening the need for it.

NilaJones

Thanks, both of you!

Vicronix, do you prefer the gluconate over citrate? I will try adding some magnesium -- i didn't realise that was related and I appreciate the tip!

Also, does anyone have suggestions on my b12 questions? I will reprint here so folks don't have to page back :).

I find that even 1/12 of a Perque is too much. What should I do?

I think I could handle the 1/12 maybe once or twice a week, but I know Freddd feels going on and off is bad. Should I try an even tinier amount? Should I try food sources instead? I cannot find organic liver locally. Should I mail order some pate? Or am I wrong in being concerned that non-organic liver could have a high concentration of something exogenous to the animal that I will react badly to?

Sushi

NilaJones

In the beginning I needed to cut the Perque in quarters. Actually it doesn't cut very well, more crumbles, so I would crush it and divide the powder into as small doses as you can handle.

Sushi

NilaJones

So, less than 1/12 of a Perque is worth trying? I thought it might not stay in my mouth long enough to absorb.

(I really do mean1/12, not 1/2. It's still too much.)

Sushi

So, less than 1/12 of a Perque is worth trying? I thought it might not stay in my mouth long enough to absorb.

(I really do mean1/12, not 1/2. It's still too much.)

Sorry, I misread it as 1/2. Well, that is a tiny dose but others have done it. Stick it up between you lip and gum and it may last longer.

Sushi

NilaJones

Ok, I will keep trying tinier and tinier amounts :).

Is there anything I am missing to take with it that will alleviate the 'speedy' effects?

I'm currently taking:

4 Thorne III
1.33 Folapro
2-4 potassium + 2-3 bananas
2 B2 (I could look up dosage)
1500mg evening primrose oil
1t fish oil
1t lecithin
10,000iu vit D + special light + sun when available
2000mg vit C

I think that's everything...

NilaJones

Somebody IM'd me and said, IIUC that I should decrease the folapro and that might make me more tolerant to B!2. That they are out of balance.

I've been back on the folapro a couple days now, and notice an interesting side effect. I don't feel hungry. i completely forget meals. But if I try eating something, it turns out I want it.

This is a bit like when I was more severely ill and had neither one -- not the sensation of hunger nor that of satiety. Now I have just one, sometimes at least. Plus I am less sick :).

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Ok, I'm'a go eat something now, since I realise it has been a long time!

Lotus97

Sushi IM'd me and said, IIUC that I should decrease the folapro and that might make me more tolerant to B!2. That they are out of balance.
I was about to say the same thing. The ratios Rich recommends are
200 mcg methylfolate/2000 mcg hydroxocobalamin
For increasing dosage
800 mcg methylfolate/2000 mcg methylcobalamin (instead of hydroxocobalamin)
(note: This is just ratio of folate to b12. For increasing dosage it would be good to do it gradually rather than to jump immediately to upper set of numbers)
I asked Freddd about ratios of folate to B12 and found his answer confusing which is why I'm not posting it here.