• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Soya milk tastes rank!

snowathlete

I remember I used to make "ice cream" out of a banana and some frozen raspberries - you just blend them up and freeze it (I did it in individual portions). It was fantastic! Must try it again. With a bit of lemon juice to stop the banana browning.

lemon also not good for me apparently. :cry:
Im basically allergic to everything I like, and the stuff I'm not allergic to I don't generally eat. what really concerns me is if i start eating new stuff, maybe then I would become allergic to that too - I dont know.

snowathlete

snowathlete

I like Hemp Milk. To me it is the closest tasting to dairy--course I haven't tasted dairy in over a decade so I might not even remember! :D

And coconut mild yogurt is yummy! Rice cheese, well....:(

Sushi

I'm gonna try those things...if i can find somewhere that sells them. Rice milk too, though not from China!!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
lemon also not good for me apparently. :cry:
Im basically allergic to everything I like, and the stuff I'm not allergic to I don't generally eat. what really concerns me is if i start eating new stuff, maybe then I would become allergic to that too - I dont know.

Argh... all very difficult...

snowathlete

My daughter is lactose intolerant. She was when she was young, grew out of it, and now it's back. We had mashed potatoes the other night made with soy milk -- disgusting. When she was two, we used to pretreat her milk with lactaid which reduces the lactose content in milk by 99 percent or so. It's expensive but well worth it if you like your milk. That was mainly because any other substitute would end up being hurled across the room.

It also seems to be related to amount. Small quantities of cheese and yogurt do not have much of an effect, larger ones do. Ice-cream in any amount bothers her and so does any amount of milk. We have started buying her sorbet which she likes instead of ice-cream.

sorbet. good call!!! thanks. Cant have lemon, but other stuff should be ok i think

Sasha

Fine, thank you
sorbet. good call!!! thanks. Cant have lemon, but other stuff should be ok i think

The lemon in the banana/raspberry "sorbet" was just to prevent browning - you could get away without it, I reckon. And you could use other fruits instead of raspberry.

Gypsy

One potential problem with coconut milk is that it contains GUAR GUM and other types of gums like locust bean gum. These can cause terrible bloating in people with IBS.

Coconut ice cream is delicious, but most of it contains guar gum AND inulin or chicory root. Do not eat inulin or chicory root if you have IBS! Feeds the bad bugs and can cause badddd cramps/gas.

Two almond milks which contain no guar gum are Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Vanilla (like it a lot)
And Pacific Foods organic almond milk

Are you allowed to drink lactose free milk?

PennyIA

I've always been lactose intolerant. I USED to be able to tolerate some cheese and milk in cooking (but sadly, not anymore). And I USED to be able to use Lactaid (either in pill form or in the milk I used for cooking); just not anymore.

My first attempt at non-dairy milk was Almond Milk - vanilla sweetened by Almond Breeze (not sure if that's available everywhere). Since I've NEVER tolerated milk, I've never actually liked the flavor of it - but would use it in various things. OMG - the Almond Milk is amazingly good. I really do prefer it over regular milk by taste.

Now, if only I could find real, melt-able almond cheese and a good, yummy gluten free pizza crust.... that's what I miss the most, a good slice of pizza.

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite replacement, so far. It does taste a little nutty, but the vanilla helps to balance it out. I haven't tried rice milk yet, but don't do soy for all the reasons listed. Unsweetened coconut milk "beverage" is too bland and thin. I don't like to drink any of the sweetened substitutes since I'm avoiding sugar.

(I just saw Sushi's post - I've not tried Hemp either. I honestly can't say I've ever even seen it, but will keep an eye out.)

I completely feel your pain on this. I'm a cheese, cream, ice cream, yogurt, butter lover!! No longer, though...

snowathlete

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite replacement, so far. It does taste a little nutty, but the vanilla helps to balance it out. I haven't tried rice milk yet, but don't do soy for all the reasons listed. Unsweetened coconut milk "beverage" is too bland and thin. I don't like to drink any of the sweetened substitutes since I'm avoiding sugar.

(I just saw Sushi's post - I've not tried Hemp either. I honestly can't say I've ever even seen it, but will keep an eye out.)

I completely feel your pain on this. I'm a cheese, cream, ice cream, yogurt, butter lover!! No longer, though...

my bold. I cannot believe these things are leaving my life. :cry::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:...lattes too :cry:...and milkshakes :cry:...it's just cruel and wrong and unfair.:thumbdown:

Hip

Found out today that dairy doesnt agree with me. I love milk and cheese, so pretty gutted. Thought I would try Soya milk see if its any good....It. Is. Disgusting!

There is a huge difference in taste between soya milk brands: some taste horrible, others are very palatable, and some taste delicious. You must have bought a bad tasting brand. I also prefer the ones which have added sugar. Try the Alpro brand.

my bold. I cannot believe these things are leaving my life. :cry::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:...lattes too :cry:...and milkshakes :cry:...it's just cruel and wrong and unfair.:thumbdown:
Some things you can make at home ... I have a cheap little ice cream maker which I can use for coconut ice cream. Also a bread maker that handles gluten-free recipes, and even a stroopwafel maker :D

Almond milk is the best for drinking straight. It has a naturally sweet flavor that doesn't even need sugar added.

Coconut milk is great for baking, and if you get a can of the fatty stuff you can scrape off the top to use as "butter" on bread. You can even make whipped cream from it - put a can of unshaken high-fat coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours, then pull it out and beat the solid fatty part. Tastes divine :) Coconut ice creams from supermarkets (might need to find an organic/alternative supermarket) also are amazing. Way better than dairy, in my opinion.

You can also use Ghee, which is butter specially produced in a manner to be pure fat (so none of the naughty proteins).

Soy is nasty and seems to be something I might be developing a reaction to. Rice milk is also nasty, but very safe.

snowathlete

There is a huge difference in taste between soya milk brands: some taste horrible, others are very palatable, and some taste delicious. You must have bought a bad tasting brand. I also prefer the ones which have added sugar. Try the Alpro brand.
It was alpro original. Sounds like it could have been even worse! Lol

Hip

It was alpro original. Sounds like it could have been even worse! Lol

Maybe try the Alpro with added sugar (if that is acceptable for your diet). That tastes fine, nice even as a cold drink. The soya milks without sugar don't taste nice.

You can also consider lactose free milk, which you find in most supermarkets at no extra cost compared to regular milk. I find lactose free milk actually tastes slightly better than normal milk: it has a smoother texture.

Me too - about to go dairy free for a week or two. Just went to Sainsbury's and they sell hemp milk there.
I agree the soya brands vary enormously.
I don't like the rice - but I have tried oat milk, not so good in coffee, but fine in my porridge . So I bought the almond to try....
I found the lactose free can go off quite quickly , so I froze half to be on the safe side.

snowathlete

Maybe try the Alpro with added sugar (if that is acceptable for your diet). That tastes fine, nice even as a cold drink. The soya milks without sugar don't taste nice.

You can also consider lactose free milk, which you find in most supermarkets at no extra cost compared to regular milk. I find lactose free milk actually tastes slightly better than normal milk: it has a smoother texture.

The original one does have sugar in it anyway, I think. Certainly tasted very sweet.

Don't think Lactose free will be suitable for me as I am not lactose intolerant, the problem is casein.