• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patterns of Abnormal Visual Attention in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Bob

New study looking at abnormalities in visual attention in ME patients, confirms patients' reports of difficulties.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23689679

Patterns of Abnormal Visual Attention in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Optom Vis Sci. 2013 May 17. [Epub ahead of print]
Hutchinson CV, Badham SP.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23689679

CONCLUSIONS:
We have provided experimental evidence for ME/CFS-related difficulties in directing visual attention. These findings support the subjective reports of those with ME/CFS and could represent a potential means to improve diagnosis.

Simon

Can anyone clarify for me the terminology used? Thanks :)
Google is your friend :)

From Wikipedia:
The traditional UFOV assessment is a computer based visual test containing three subtests.

1. Processing Speed: Determines a person’s threshold for discriminating stimuli presented in central vision.
2. Divided Attention: Same as Subtest 1 but with the addition of a concurrent peripheral target location task.
3. Selective Attention: Same as Subtest 2 but with the addition of distracters.

The threshold scores are combined to produce an overall performance score.

Performance on the UFOV assessment is correlated with a number of real-world functions including driving and walking. Here are some examples:
  • Several studies have shown that a reduction in UFOV is correlated with an increased risk of an automobile accident with poor performers being about twice as likely to have an automobile crash than good performers.[5]
Perhaps more helpful is this crude demo.

Edit: demo link fixed, click on 'tour' on LHS

Firestormm

Google is your friend :)

From Wikipedia:

Perhaps more helpful is this crude demo.

Thanks my friend. The relation to driving appears particularly apt to my own circumstances and 'fear avoidance' i.e. I no longer drive because of certain issues I experienced. This in part is also because of the epilepsy I must admit but in the main because of cognitive problems that could not be attributed to the same source. Doctors advised me not to drive and frankly I'm scared witless now to do so. I believe other drivers are grateful also :)