• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation, mast cells and adrenal fatigue: th connection

camas

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=2000030#i Yeah, the title lacks an "e" on "the"! :D

Thanks for posting that, Beyond. I wonder how she's doing now? I've also had some luck with Seriphos, adrenal extract, magnesium, etc. I've tried progesterone in the past to balance out estrogen dominance, but it was a bit of a struggle. I also had high copper levels years ago, but my doctor didn't make any recommendations on what to do about it. I probably have so little estrogen left now that I'm not sure it would even be an issue :) , but it might be good to have that checked again. I would caution anyone with a mast cell disorder to be careful of sunbathing and saunas for detoxing as she did since heat is a known degranulator.

Thanks again for posting that. I'm going to go read through all the comments to see if I can learn more!

xchocoholic

From what I've seen repeatedly over the last 8 years, much of the improvements this person saw are typical for anyone who gets the garbage, bad foods / food intolerances and chemicals, out of their life. Many people attitibute these improvements
to taking certain supplements, etc but imho, they've confused their results by trying multiple changes at
the same time.

I'm not saying supplements can't help but simply allowing the body to heal itself via proper nutrients
and eliminating inflammatory substances is what our bodies are designed to do. Our cells are constantly
in a state of repair via body chemistry. Granted imho, not all damage can be reversed. Even with supplements.

I have a mast cell problem too but I could handle heat about 2 years (2008} post dietary changes too. Imho it's because my body could finally
detox properly so the heat induced detox didn't bother me. I could be outside all day and feel great. And in
my case because I didn't use saunas it may be that my body had problems creating d from the sun. Imho, at that point in 2008, I started feeling
the effects of vit d being created. I still need to take a nap when this process starts.

The rest of the article was interesting but again too many changes were happening at once so crediting
Supplements is misleading. Fwiw, if you go to a celiac forum or visit a support group you'll hear
the exact same kind of stories from people who were just gluten intolerant.

Tc ... X

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey xchocoholic we agree in the idea that a healthy diet and avoiding toxins its the most important thing and the basis. However my research both in medical studies and personal experiences of "chronically" ill people points out that more things that dietary changes are needed to reach acceptable levels of healing. I am not fond of supplements, thats why I favour juicing, so much vitamins and minerals, fresh enzymes and polyphenols, but some things have shown to be very useful for example methylsupps. I also eat paleo and cook with ghee to avoid oxidized olive oil, and if I could I would collect fresh medicinal herbs, I am really NOT fond of supplements :D Of course if the etiology of your problems its being celiac in a absolutely "aglutenated" society removing gluten will be the most important thing you could ever do for your health.

For the record, I had it tested and I am not celiac, however I do have wheat intolerance, but just as I had for the other 15 foods tested. The strongest reaction was against lactoglobulin. For the most part of my life I was addicted to milk and bread, I was eating half a baguette a day or more and drinking more than half a liter per day. Undoubtely this caused some havoc but only occuring at the same time than genetic predispotition, heavy metals, weekly getting drunk for two years and lots of stress. Lots of people eat that stuff, most have eaten it for life, and they doesnt get so affected.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
And this is where autoimmunity, certain genes and mast cell activation come together in CPPS: http://urologytimes.modernmedicine....antihistamines-may-play-role-treating-chronic

I am hopeful that one day my pain will be gone if I cure trough methylation and everything else and my immune system, stress response and mast cells arent freaking out. I have cholinergic and dermatographic urticaria so I surely have a mast cell problem.

xchocoholic

Hi beyond,

I'm not anti supplement. I take about 5 - 6 per day. Things that I've discovered over the years that really do make me feel better. I just thought this person was probably attributing improvements to some supplements they'd taken when in reality, just the dietary changes alone could've helped.

I just can't see spending money on supplements and possibly adding to an already overburdened detox system until someone has allowed their bodies to do what it's going to do on it's own.

My point about celiacs improving so much was to show the variety of ailments that can come from eating the wrong foods. Not just celiacs.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I agree with and have LONG noticed the allergy - adrenal connection. I have to take HUGE doses of zinc as well as tyrosine, both needed by the adrenal gland and the zinc anyway used up by allergic rhinitis. During allergy season I take 100mg zinc picolinate (most absorbable form) (plus 4mg copper picolinate to balance) and 1-3g tyrosine (I take 1g tyrosine every day due to I don't eat a lot of protein). What I take is NOT ENOUGH. At the beginning of allergy season, the zinc is enough to help me breath. It is soon not enough. And after awhile (about 3 weeks), my adrenal gland goes out and I go from high blood pressure to low blood pressure. All of a sudden I need salt or I pass out! A few days after allergy season and I am right as rain...no more adrenal issues.

My protocol is insufficient so don't go by me. I do believe that I need more protein during allergy season to rebuild damaged mucous membranes, not just tyrosine. In fact there are specific proteins needed to rebuild skin - I'd have to look up what - there is a brand of Prostat we used to give my Dad for kidney dialysis patients who have too little protein, and it was a formulation to heal bed sores...with 3 specific aminos. However we had good results with Aloe Vera, which also has some of those aminos and proved phenominal in healing the broken skin of a diabetic.

However I disagree with the person quoted in that high serum copper does not mean one has too much copper - it is MERELY INDICATIVE OF INFLAMMATION - which is DUH obvious. The body mobilizes copper into the blood stream for any immune system reaction as it is a strong killer. The body TAKES copper from needed tissues to do so (in other words you could have an aneurism from weak blood vessels as a result). But that person's choice of action - to take more zinc - was right on. Zinc reduces IgE. Zinc is also needed to rebuild damaged mucous membrane (skin). And for the thyroid and adrenal glands.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Sorry I did not comment on the rest of the entry - but I don't understand homeopathy so I ignore it.

Of the things that first got this person going, I would say the adrenal hormone supplementation was the most important as this will help allergies somewhat.

The rest, idk, idk. Homeopathy is based on the principal that like cures like, but I don't see why such a thing should be so. To me, it does not compute. That does not say that luck would have it that some of these homeopathy remedies might just help anyway (but I don't really think it's because like heals like). So in that case I'd want to know what's in each plant and deal with the chemicals and elements directly - you know?

So as I said, the rest may be so. But I know nothing about it.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Thanks for posting that, Beyond. I wonder how she's doing now? I've also had some luck with Seriphos, adrenal extract, magnesium, etc. I've tried progesterone in the past to balance out estrogen dominance, but it was a bit of a struggle. I also had high copper levels years ago, but my doctor didn't make any recommendations on what to do about it. I probably have so little estrogen left now that I'm not sure it would even be an issue :) , but it might be good to have that checked again. I would caution anyone with a mast cell disorder to be careful of sunbathing and saunas for detoxing as she did since heat is a known degranulator.

Thanks again for posting that. I'm going to go read through all the comments to see if I can learn more!
Wow. Allergies have been the bane of my existence and I know so little about them. It interests me that you say heat is "a known degranulator". Is there a list somewhere of "known degranulators"? Do you know of any other ones? THANKS!