• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amalgam removal - mercury chelation

snowathlete

So, I went to the dentist today. I've been pretty brain-foggy the last few days so I haven't prepared. I forgot that today was the day that I was having an amalgam removed and a new composite filling put in.

While it was being drilled out I could smell it, so I know I have breathed in some mergury vapour. I have another amalgam coming out in a week, then its all gone.

But, I guess I should start taking something to chelate mercury now...? I did some research on this last year but I can't remember it now. I don't want to go crazy, and it is just the two amalgams for me, but I dont want to do nothing.

So, I plan to go out in a bit and buy something suitable. The question is - what?
I'm in the UK so its holland and barrett or the local chineese herb place.

Thanks
Joel

maryb

iherb code TAK122
golden
Thats where I went and still inhaled mercury vapour - was ill for 6months - Joel you really really need to read up on it - perhaps Klinghart,he's very good - a tip would have been to tip a capsule of chorella into your mouth immediately before the removal (swill and spit it out obviously) never again will I do it without doctor support, but thats just me - don't want to worry you. We are all affected differently. Don't tale cilantro until all your amalgams are out, but can't remember the details.
I am going to see Tom -Nyrges and B/spear are going to help me with it all - 3 amalgams to go.

snowathlete

Thanks golden, me phoning them might be a bit cheeky as I'm not their customer.

maryb, thanks. I should have prepared for it better, but I just am not thinking straight at the moment. I'll explain the details sometime, but at anyrate I'm gonna pop out now and get some Chorella, and a few other things. Hopefully it will be ok.
My dentist isnt really an expert in amalgam removal, at least not from a health point of view, he is really about cosmetics. Later on I'll explain why why I went there etc. But off to holland and barrett now.

golden

Thanks golden, me phoning them might be a bit cheeky as I'm not their customer.

maryb, thanks. I should have prepared for it better, but I just am not thinking straight at the moment. I'll explain the details sometime, but at anyrate I'm gonna pop out now and get some Chorella, and a few other things. Hopefully it will be ok.
My dentist isnt really an expert in amalgam removal, at least not from a health point of view, he is really about cosmetics. Later on I'll explain why why I went there etc. But off to ho.lland and barrett now.

From the North :) I wouldnt bat an eyelid ringing and asking for this info. lol I would have done it anyway if I had any phone credit and posted the advice.

Holland and Barrat can be very knowledgeable, they get their books out and usually by pot luck find something useful.

golden

golden
Thats where I went and still inhaled mercury vapour - was ill for 6months - Joel you really really need to read up on it - perhaps Klinghart,he's very good - a tip would have been to tip a capsule of chorella into your mouth immediately before the removal (swill and spit it out obviously) never again will I do it without doctor support, but thats just me - don't want to worry you. We are all affected differently. Don't tale cilantro until all your amalgams are out, but can't remember the details.
I am going to see Tom -Nyrges and B/spear are going to help me with it all - 3 amalgams to go.

I thonk its true to say we are all different - my friend - he swallowed his Mercury filling! He left his tooth to rot awat and his filling came out - oops! He OK though... not a sign of any ill effect!

I am really glad you told me about your experience here though - thank you.

snowathlete

Well I've bought some Chorella, Zinc, and Charcoal, to add to my Vit C. If anyone thinks any of this is a bad idea, do shout!

Wayne

So, I plan to go out in a bit and buy something suitable. The question is - what?

Hi Joel, congratulations on your amalgam removal. I had all of mine removed many years ago, and experienced way too much mercury exposure as a result. I was very ill for several weeks / months afterwards. I've since learned more about detoxification, things I wish I would have known at that time. I eventually came up with some daily detox regimens that I feel work well for me, including what I call my own "detox formula". I posted it HERE.

Again, congratulations on getting this done. I think it's something everybody should consider. For those of us with CFS, it becomes even more critical.

Best Regards, Wayne

P.S. Interestingly, I'm heading out to a dental appointment in about 15 minutes to have a non-metal crown down. Thought I'd mention I believe removing all of my metal crowns many years ago was just as important as removing my amalgam fillings, perhaps even more so. The metal in most crowns is also very toxic (I think nickel is the primary culprit).

snowathlete

Hi Joel, congratulations on your amalgam removal. I had all of mine removed many years ago, and experienced way too much mercury exposure as a result. I was very ill for several weeks / months afterwards. I've since learned more about detoxification, things I wish I would have known at that time. I eventually came up with some daily detox regimens that I feel work well for me, including what I call my own "detox formula". I posted it HERE.

Again, congratulations on getting this done. I think it's something everybody should consider. For those of us with CFS, it becomes even more critical.

Best Regards, Wayne

P.S. Interestingly, I'm heading out to a dental appointment in about 15 minutes to have a non-metal crown down. Thought I'd mention I believe removing all of my metal crowns many years ago was just as important as removing my amalgam fillings, perhaps even more so. The metal in most crowns is also very toxic (I think nickel is the primary culprit).

Thanks Wayne,

I have some psyllium husk so I'll hunt around for that. Hate the stuff (like furry water).

I also have some bentonite clay. I dont want to take anything that might pull mercury out of my remaining filling. That won't be an issue next week of course, but until then it might be. Am I right in thinking that bentonite clay does this?

I'll be trying oil pulling next week too.

I spoke to De Meirleir about it earlier this year and he said that because I only had two amalgams, to leave them. I know he thinks it is an issue for some people, but of course he doesnt know if your dentists is any good, so I think he probably only suggests removal if they are likely to be problematic.
But, I wanted rid anyway, and as I had a little decay under them both, my dentists had to take them out to put new fillings in anyway. Because of that I wasnt very focused on the fact it was my amalgams coming out.

Anyway, one is out and the other will be soon. The work done today was really top quality, I have to say. He even uses something to 'paint' the filling so that it looks like a normal tooth. Took ages and my jaw was really aching at the end. He handed me a mirror and said "spot the filling and you win a BMW"...I dont think he gives away many cars.

Anyway, he also did a filling last week, a tooth that the NHS had put a composite in about a year ago. Has always remained painful. He told me that he couldnt guarentee that changing the filling would work, as the xray didnt show any problems, but said it was possible it was put in wrong or the material disagreed with me. Half way through, he told me that there was a layer in it which shouldnt be there and which normally was only put in for amalgam fillings. He didnt say so, but my guess is that was something to do with the pain I had.

*GG*

So, I went to the dentist today. I've been pretty brain-foggy the last few days so I haven't prepared. I forgot that today was the day that I was having an amalgam removed and a new composite filling put in.

While it was being drilled out I could smell it, so I know I have breathed in some mergury vapour. I have another amalgam coming out in a week, then its all gone.

But, I guess I should start taking something to chelate mercury now...? I did some research on this last year but I can't remember it now. I don't want to go crazy, and it is just the two amalgams for me, but I dont want to do nothing.

I'm in the UK so its holland and barrett or the local chineese herb place.

Thanks
Joel

My Dr prescribes an old Cholesterol drug for detox,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholestyramine

Not sure of it's availability in the UK?
GG

Well I've bought some Chorella, Zinc, and Charcoal, to add to my Vit C. If anyone thinks any of this is a bad idea, do shout!

I mainly follow Andy Cutler's suggestions for chelation, and one thing he advises against is chlorella.

A few quick links that popped up after Googling 'onibasu chlorella' (Onibasu archives messages from some chelation groups)
http://onibasu.com/archives/am/402.html
http://onibasu.com/archives/am/27356.html
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/frequent-dose-chelation/message/100582

If you are interested in chelation it might be worth joining the frequent-dose-chelation group on Yahoo to get Cutler's perspective on things. Most of the information is available freely on line as well as in the book.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I have some psyllium husk so I'll hunt around for that. Hate the stuff (like furry water). ......... I also have some bentonite clay. I dont want to take anything that might pull mercury out of my remaining filling. Am I right in thinking that bentonite clay does this?

Hi Joel, I don't believe bentonite's natural ability to absorb/adsorb mercury and other heavy metals should be a concern (while you still have amalgams), although I can't say this definitively. I would think this ability makes it sensible to have this in our bodies at all times, especially since so much of mercury that is outgassed is swallowed and ends up in the gut. Having clay in our GI tract to adsorb this just makes sense to me.

I wanted to mention that incorporating psyllium and clay into our bodies can require some adjustments, so I would recommend doing this gradually, and allowing our bodies to adapt in a relatively easy way. Also, the detox mixture I provided a link to is something that I allow to set for a while, and thickens as time goes by. I usually make two quarts at a time, but only consume about 1/4 of that a day (a pint). That amount seems to work about right for me.

I hope your amalgam removal and now metal free teeth is going well for you. Even if you don't notice anything "significant" from your efforts, sometimes just the subtle "feel" of the metal being gone is a relief.

Best, Wayne

snowathlete

Hi Joel, I don't believe bentonite's natural ability to absorb/adsorb mercury and other heavy metals should be a concern (while you still have amalgams), although I can't say this definitively. I would think this ability makes it sensible to have this in our bodies at all times, especially since so much of mercury that is outgassed is swallowed and ends up in the gut. Having clay in our GI tract to adsorb this just makes sense to me.

I wanted to mention that incorporating psyllium and clay into our bodies can require some adjustments, so I would recommend doing this gradually, and allowing our bodies to adapt in a relatively easy way. Also, the detox mixture I provided a link to is something that I allow to set for a while, and thickens as time goes by. I usually make two quarts at a time, but only consume about 1/4 of that a day (a pint). That amount seems to work about right for me.

I hope your amalgam removal and now metal free teeth is going well for you. Even if you don't notice anything "significant" from your efforts, sometimes just the subtle "feel" of the metal being gone is a relief.

Best, Wayne

Thanks Wayne. All good points. I feel happier knowing I have less amalgam in my mouth. But I have a problem with what feels like a tooth infection, but doesnt show up on xrays. Dentist agreed to prescribe some metrodinazole, which I am taking without any real improvement, but is making me feel rough right now.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. All good points. I feel happier knowing I have less amalgam in my mouth. But I have a problem with what feels like a tooth infection, but doesnt show up on xrays. Dentist agreed to prescribe some metrodinazole, which I am taking without any real improvement, but is making me feel rough right now.

Hey Joel,

It seems I put an almost inordinate amount of attention on my oral health. But I've noticed pwCFS seem to have a lot of vulnerability in this area for some reason. A friend of mine (locally) with CFS thought she was taking very good care of her gums and oral health by seeing her her periodontist / endodondist annually. Turns out she got a bill of health on one visit, and by the next year, the infections in her gums almost cost her virtually all of her teeth.

Another reason why I do "oil pulling" is to keep any microbial activity reduced by adding in small amounts of essential oils. Not only do I feel oil pulling detoxifies various toxins from the body and pulls them into the oral cavity, but when I add small amounts of essential oils that are anti-bacterial, I feel it keep various kinds of oral infections from taking off. The ones I've mainly tried so far are Oregano Oil and Wintergreen Oil. The following list is from Wikipedia.

Essential oils [edit]

Many essential oils included in pharmacopoeias supposedly possess antimicrobial activity, including:
Good luck on dealing with your current infection.

Best, Wayne

snowathlete

Hey Joel,

It seems I put an almost inordinate amount of attention on my oral health. But I've noticed pwCFS seem to have a lot of vulnerability in this area for some reason. A friend of mine (locally) with CFS thought she was taking very good care of her gums and oral health by seeing her her periodontist / endodondist annually. Turns out she got a bill of health on one visit, and by the next year, the infections in her gums almost cost her virtually all of her teeth.

Another reason why I do "oil pulling" is to keep any microbial activity reduced by adding in small amounts of essential oils. Not only do I feel oil pulling detoxifies various toxins from the body and pulls them into the oral cavity, but when I add small amounts of essential oils that are anti-bacterial, I feel it keep various kinds of oral infections from taking off. The ones I've mainly tried so far are Oregano Oil and Wintergreen Oil. The following list is from Wikipedia.

Essential oils [edit]

Many essential oils included in pharmacopoeias supposedly possess antimicrobial activity, including:
Good luck on dealing with your current infection.

Best, Wayne

Thanks Wayne, thats super handy. defo gonna do this. dentist says no sign of infection on xrays but something is definitely going on in my gums in certain places. so far antibiotic hasnt really helped this time.

Wayne

The following book describes how oral infections likely play a far greater role in a large number of serious diseases than most people would ever imagine. The following link will give you a brief overview of it. I'm not sure I would recommend buying it, but being aware of the concept of oral health and its effects on our bodies is an important one to keep in mind.

The Silent Saboteurs:
Unmasking Our Own Oral Spirochetes As The Key To Saving TRILLIONS in Health Care Costs
By William D. Nordquist, BS, DMD, MS
and David J. Krutchkoff, DDS, MS

This link will take you to Chapter 1 of this book

This link will take you to the Table of Contents

snowathlete

The following book describes how oral infections likely play a far greater role in a large number of serious diseases than most people would ever imagine. The following link will give you a brief overview of it. I'm not sure I would recommend buying it, but being aware of the concept of oral health and its effects on our bodies is an important one to keep in mind.

The Silent Saboteurs:
Unmasking Our Own Oral Spirochetes As The Key To Saving TRILLIONS in Health Care Costs
By William D. Nordquist, BS, DMD, MS
and David J. Krutchkoff, DDS, MS

This link will take you to Chapter 1 of this book

This link will take you to the Table of Contents

Something that took my notice was the word spirochete...

The reason this piqued my interest is because I've just had a Lyme test for Borrelia and I got one band p41 which is for the presence of spirochetes. Now, it may or may not be Lyme. But one thing I remember from my consult with De Meirleir was he asked me if I have any jaw pain, which I do. Now, I dont know what the significance is, but I wonder now if he knows of some link there, that mybe the jaw is where they like to hide out...? Do you know, having read the book, if thats the case or not?