• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Results from Genetic Genie/23andme.com (moved from B12 methylation)

sregan

I had posted this in the wrong place. Please any help would be appreciated. I have already researched some of this.

Methylation Panel
shawnsnp.png

Detox Panel
ShawnDetoxSnp.png

caledonia

On Yasko's Simplified Roadmap, she has treating glutamate imbalance first. This would be good to do if you're one of those "tired but wired" people, anxious, problems with sleep etc.

You don't have the First Priority Mutations, SHMT or ACAT, so then you would skip to CBS.

You're +/- for CBS C699T, which is the big one. So you need to determine if that's expressed. If you're sensitive to sulfur foods/supps/meds, or you have high urine sulfate and ammonia, or you have a stress/anxiety reaction to methylation supps, these are clues you'll need to address CBS. Heartfixer has a good CBS protocol. However, you can follow a low free thiol diet instead of a low sulfur diet, which is less restrictive and it still works. I also didn't limit meat, just took yucca, and it still worked.

Then once that is resolved, you can add the other methylation supports. You're going to need TMG (such as in Yasko's general health formula) to support the secondary pathway. You'll need methylfolate for the MTHFR mutations and B12 for that and the MTR/MTRR mutations. Because of your COMT and VDR mutations, you may or may not do ok with straight up methylcobalamin. Yasko has a nice chart on her Simplifed Roadmap for what forms go with what SNPs.

Check out the links in my signature.

juniemarie

I want to post my recent 23&me results but I cant figure out how. I click on upload file but when I go to files those 2...detox profile and methylation profile wont let me click on them. What am I doing wrong?

juniemarie

I'm also trying to learn and read about this stuff but its very complicated. Caledonia if you have time to post anything that stands out about my results I would be very thankful.
Methylation Analysis
Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 8.53.18 PM.png

Detox Profile
Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 9.00.42 PM.png

sregan

Caledonia, I've been meaning to comment on this great set of links you have in your signature. well done.

Sregan, most of my SNPs are +/-. Yet they've had a huge negative impact on my life. Caledonia's summary for you is right on target. ahmo

Ahmo, thank you for this, exactly what I wanted to know. The +/- can be very significant then.

sregan

On Yasko's Simplified Roadmap, she has treating glutamate imbalance first. This would be good to do if you're one of those "tired but wired" people, anxious, problems with sleep etc.

You don't have the First Priority Mutations, SHMT or ACAT, so then you would skip to CBS.

You're +/- for CBS C699T, which is the big one. So you need to determine if that's expressed. If you're sensitive to sulfur foods/supps/meds, or you have high urine sulfate and ammonia, or you have a stress/anxiety reaction to methylation supps, these are clues you'll need to address CBS. Heartfixer has a good CBS protocol. However, you can follow a low free thiol diet instead of a low sulfur diet, which is less restrictive and it still works. I also didn't limit meat, just took yucca, and it still worked.

Then once that is resolved, you can add the other methylation supports. You're going to need TMG (such as in Yasko's general health formula) to support the secondary pathway. You'll need methylfolate for the MTHFR mutations and B12 for that and the MTR/MTRR mutations. Because of your COMT and VDR mutations, you may or may not do ok with straight up methylcobalamin. Yasko has a nice chart on her Simplifed Roadmap for what forms go with what SNPs.

Check out the links in my signature.

Caledonia, thank you for your analysis. I'm so impressed by this genetic testing. Kind of light someone turned on the light switch and all the little hidden possibilities can now be seen.

I will explore your links and hopefully come up with a real strategy.

caledonia

I'm also trying to learn and read about this stuff but its very complicated. Caledonia if you have time to post anything that stands out about my results I would be very thankful.
Methylation Analysis

You have the minor CBS, so it may or may not be a problem. You can check that cheaply with urine sulfate strips and/or go by signs and symptoms. Support BHMT (the shortcut pathway) with TMG or Yasko's general neurological health formula. Support MTHFR with methylfolate and B12, support MTRR with B12. You don't have COMT, so there's no need to worry about limiting B12 to avoid mood swings. You'll probably do well with methylcobalamin. VDR controls vitamin D, so get that checked and supplement if low.

You have a double MAO which has mental health implications. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you had anxiety, depression or other similar issues. If you're currently on an SSRI or other psych drugs, you'll need to be extremely careful. Once you start methylation, you'll increase neurotransmitters which could be a potential conflict with the drugs. You need to taper very gradually off the drugs, while concurrently very gradually increasing methylation. The taper schedule from your doctor will probably be way too fast, which can cause horrible withdrawal problems. This happened to me; it almost killed me, and I lost the better part of a year dealing with severe withdrawal symptoms.

If this is you, I now have an exact method to manage this. You can "conversation" me for more details. Or if several people are interested, I can make a new post on this topic.

juniemarie

Caledonia I am so so thankful and happy you responded. I am on my way out the door but wanted to post something now and will post or PM when I return .
So CBS has to do with sulfur? I will check out the urine strips. I have been on Rich's Simplified Protocol for 3 yrs so I take 3 Yasko multi's every day. What does BHMT stand for. What you are saying makes me think about when I went off Yasko multi and onto Thorne when Rich was asking us to experiment with some changes he was thinking of making........after a week on Thorne and no Yasko I go so darned depressed. I could not figure out if it was something in Thorne that did not agree with me or something in Yasko my body chemistry needed for mental stability and mood......so you just added a huge piece of the puzzle. I went back on Yasko and off Thorne and wham within 3 days I was feeling upbeat. I just love being able to connect dots that help me understand these mysteries we have. As you know Yasko has TMG and Thorne does not.
What is MTRR?
I have had issues on and off with mood/mental health my whole life. Not on anySSRI but have taken them in the past. I am on adderall for energy and it does seem to very subtly help me keep a brighter attitude.
Thats good news about the B12 I only take the one (hydroxy)in the protocol but have wanted to find a complete b and was worried about how to choose one in case I had whatever gene makes people have problems with the b12
Whats VDR stand for? My D can get very low so I supplement it with 5,000 a day.
Yes I am in for PM or new topic or both.
I will PM you later after I get home and have given it all more thought...plus want to read through some of your links some more to see if I can absorb enough of the info to come up with some questions
It means so much to have someone to talk with that has a more capable brain for understanding technical and scientific stuff........even without CFS & Lyme my brain does not do well in those arenas.

juniemarie

Caledonia One more thought. I put my raw data from 23andme through genetic genie but was not successful in uploading it onto Promethease. The owner of the site said it may be Safari and told me to try again with Chrome.
If it still wont work do you have any tips for uploading it?

Journeyman

I had posted this in the wrong place. Please any help would be appreciated. I have already researched some of this.

Methylation Panel
shawnsnp.png

Detox Panel
ShawnDetoxSnp.png

Congrats on getting your all important results Sregan - I too have got mine but am not getting replies to my post - probably because I havent been able to post my results in the clear way you have with the image of your genie panel showing as it should. How did you add the image so it loads as a picture. The best I've done is to use PDFcreator to make the saved web page into a PDF that I've uploaded as an attachment to my post. Clearly people aren't too keen to click attachments or prefer it to just be there in front of them... if you could let me know how you did it I'd be grateful (same to anyone that can!) PS re: your results its clear you would be an 'undermethylator' because in the shrot time I've been researching this I've learnt that when theres a collection of -- COMT results it means your body is very efficient at converting catecholamines to their end products meaning they don't hang around in their system having their effects so long. This combined with your MTR mutation which would compound that problem by reducing the amount of B12 that gets recycled for use in the methylation cycle... You should get some great results once you follow something like the Yasko protocol recommended for your type...

Best wishes on your journey!

juniemarie

Journeyman I was having trouble posting my results also and someone suggested doing it with a screenshot and it worked! Go back to the list of forums and then scroll down until you see something like Technical Guidelines you will see my question about about how to put my genetic genie data up and the answers....there are certain formats that work and ones that don't