• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much molybdenum are people taking?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I think I have it now. The lactoferrin is available to the blood and liver, but it is also available to any pathogens that might be there.

Little Bluestem

I have been on 3 x 150 mcg for six months and my molybdenum RBC values are still way below normal. Hair analysis done a few months ago also showed very low. Mo clearly reduces reflux and certain pain patterns that would be commensurate with sulfite issues.

At the same time I just found out that my manganese levels are tragically low for RBC. Not sure how reliable molybdenum RBC values are but manganese RBC is the definitive measure for that mineral since Mn is the highest in blood cells.
dbkita, How was your manganese on the hair analysis? In general, are the RBC and hair results similar?

Symptomatic

I am taking 1000 ug Mo per day (Thorne molybdenum picolinate). I started back in mid-March, and like others, don't know if it's helping or not. Haven't had any Mo testing done. I'm +/- for CBS C699T.

aaron_c

This is a conversation that I am trying to move to this thread (from this thread), because the topic was a tangent over there but totally on topic here: I am replying to:

Gandalf:
And watch out with molyb. If you take too much for too long, you will cause irreversible damage to yourself.

[all the rest is me]

What kind of irreversible damage? The Linus Pauling Institute says "The toxicity of molybdenum compounds appears to be relatively low in humans." They then seem to say that supplementing 1.5 mg/day seems to be safe for most people over the short term, although there was one guy who developed schizophrenia following supplementation at 300 mcg - 800 mcg per day for only 18 days. More on him in a moment. Andrew Hall Cutler's Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities says "Molybdenum absorption is reduced by increasing dietary sulfate levels. High blood sulfate may impair molybdenum reabsorption in the kidneys, too, so those with elevated sulfate may need a lot of supplementary molybdenum." (p 124). Which only reinforces for me that some people may need way more than others, particularly some people with a lot of sulfites being converted to sulfates.

Now the one guy who too too much Mo, it sounds to me like the Mo formed thiomolybdates by interacting with sulfides, and the thiomolybdates interfered with copper absorption and Cu dependent enzymes. Maybe he had an unhealthy gut, like Rich Van K describes here, which would produce excess sulfides. I'm not saying this is the only reason he might have been more sensitive to Mo, but maybe one reason? I'm just theorizing. Which is all to say that I'll be taking doses around 1000 mcg/ day, but I'll definitely be careful of going Cu deficient (fatigue is the main symptom...CFS makes that potentially hard to track, but I'll do hair mineral analysis).

As for Mo Toxicity, here is the most nuanced list of symptoms I could find, thanks to Andrew Hall Cutler's Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities: "Weakness, diarrhea, and loss of hari pigmentation. It can cause gout, anemia (the hypochromic microcytic type, that is Hgb and MCV and MCH are all low on blood count results), generalized pain, reduced appetite and gonadal atrophy which causes low sex hormone levels."

So in a way it's all confused until testing is done, at which point the presence of anemia would be a good indicator something, and the type would be a good indicator of what. But I'm still curious about the irreversible damage.

Little Bluestem

I had a very difficult time finding molybdenum. I finally found it in an out-of-state shop when I was visiting relatives. A staff member there was haranguing me about how dangerous it was and that an overdose could cause mental problems. He named his source, but of course I do not remember it. That is why I cut the dose once my level was normal.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Besides what I'm getting in my multi (about 25 or so mcg), I was taking an additional 75mcg while on the CBS protocol. Now that I'm done with CBS, that's dropped to 25mcg. All of those amounts are muscle tested, so that's what my body's telling me it needs.
@caledonia how long did you do the CBS protocol and how do you know when to stop? What's the general consensus or are there tests I should do to ascertain that I can move on? Thank you!

caledonia

@caledonia how long did you do the CBS protocol and how do you know when to stop? What's the general consensus or are there tests I should do to ascertain that I can move on? Thank you!

I did the protocol for three months. Heartfixer says something like get your urine sulfate strip numbers down to a good level and then hold for a month, so that's what I did. Mine went down to that hard-to-read in between number, 600, and never went lower.

Muscle testing also confirmed that it was time to move on at that point. Then also when I retried methylcobalamin, I was now tolerating it, which was the whole point of the exercise.

For most people it's supposed to take 8 weeks, not 12 like me. I don't know if that's because I modified the protocol to use the free thiol diet instead of the low sulfur diet, or something else I did or didn't do. Or maybe I just had that much sulfur to detox. But it did work eventually.

So basically, refer to the Heartfixer page (in my signature links) for the best info.