• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Test Cash Price for the Uninsured

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I saw my physician recently. When we were discussing tests, she mentioned one that cost over $200 (it may have been the Genova Diagnostics NutraEval). I reminded her that I do not have insurance. She checked the cash price and it was $70.

I don’t know how many testing companies do this, but it would be worth inquiring if you have no insurance and are thinking of having some testing done.

Some hospitals also provide assistance with the cost of having tests done.

*GG*

Neuroscience does this also, I recently had some testing done, and if I used my insurance, and it was not covered by my insurance, it would cost about $400, but if I paid, and then tried to get the insurance to reimburse, the cost would be $350 or less, not sure of the numbers. I have an HSA from work, so I used that and just need to fill out the insurance form to see what I get back, if anything.

GG

Valentijn

Neuroscience does this also, I recently had some testing done, and if I used my insurance, and it was not covered by my insurance, it would cost about $400, but if I paid, and then tried to get the insurance to reimburse, the cost would be $350 or less, not sure of the numbers. I have an HSA from work, so I used that and just need to fill out the insurance form to see what I get back, if anything.
I had testing from them too a year or so ago, also cheaper without the insurance. If I recall correctly, it's actually on the order form itself, so you don't even have to talk to Neuroscience to get the cheaper non-insurance price.

invisiblejungle

I saw my physician recently. When we were discussing tests, she mentioned one that cost over $200 (it may have been the Genova Diagnostics NutraEval). I reminded her that I do not have insurance. She checked the cash price and it was $70.

I don’t know how many testing companies do this, but it would be worth inquiring if you have no insurance and are thinking of having some testing done.

Some hospitals also provide assistance with the cost of having tests done.

In regards to the NutrEval, the price is around $700 if you don't have insurance. I ordered the test believing that it was going to cost $70, but it turned out that Genova is lying about their pricing. My practitioner was told by her salesperson that uninsured people get a discount through their PayAssured program, but in actuality the discount only applies for people who already have insurance.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Yes, I think I was off by an order of magnitude in my original post. The regular price of the test is around $2,000 and the cash price is $700. :sluggish:

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I've seen reports of people paying less for a CT by paying cash than they would pay if they turned it in to their insurance and paid the deductible. So some hospitals/testing centers are now putting up web pages listing prices.