• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL Nosebleeds - do you get them? (Revised Poll)

DO you get nosebleeds ?

• Yes, large ones frequently

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Yes, small (miinor) ones frequently

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No large ones - only frequent small ones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes large ones but oly occasionally

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Yes small ones but only occsasionally

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No - I never get nosebleeds

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Undisclosed

I get nosebleeds only in the winter. I know why I get them. Living in Canada means our furnace is on most of the time. It drys the air out. My skin gets very dry and occassionally I get the odd very small nosebleed.

Nosebleeds are not diagnostically related to ME from what I have read. There are tons of reasons one can get a nosebleed -- dry air, sinus infections, picking your nose too much, blowing your nose too hard, cold or flu, deviated septum, high altitude, certain medications, liver disease, snorting too much cocaine etc, chemical irritants, calcium deficiency, inherited bleeding disorders -- to name a few.

Nosebleeds are very common, everyone gets them at some point in their lives.

I really don't know what this poll is meant to show.

What does occassionally mean -- 1/year, 2/year. It's difficult to answer. Frequent, long-lasting nosebleeds would likely mean an investigation should take place, but I doubt it would be included as a sypmtom of ME.

Allyson

I get nosebleeds only in the winter. I know why I get them. Living in Canada means our furnace is on most of the time. It drys the air out. My skin gets very dry and occassionally I get the odd very small nosebleed.

Nosebleeds are not diagnostically related to ME from what I have read. There are tons of reasons one can get a nosebleed -- dry air, sinus infections, picking your nose too much, blowing your nose too hard, cold or flu, deviated septum, high altitude, certain medications, liver disease, snorting too much cocaine etc, chemical irritants, calcium deficiency, inherited bleeding disorders -- to name a few.

Nosebleeds are very common, everyone gets them at some point in their lives.

I really don't know what this poll is meant to show.

What does occassionally mean -- 1/year, 2/year. It's difficult to answer. Frequent, long-lasting nosebleeds would likely mean an investigation should take place, but I doubt it would be included as a sypmtom of ME.

Hi Kina,

well i have frequent nose beeds now for over 20 years

small bleeds on a daily basis

theres areSO mny symptoms of ME and they vary from person to person adn this i s not t atopic you seem mentioned much

and not one that doctors think to ask about

one doc asked me recently - a geneticist - and that mad eme realise i have the bleed s so often and for so olng - i had had the so long i had for gotten

that iis what i ma tryig to establish - do people with out ME have them or not ? how often i do not know
do PWME get them - i do not know that either and that is the purpose of this poll.

cheers and thanks indeed for the very useful info in your reply

ALly

Undisclosed

Allyson -- maybe your nosebleeds have absolutely nothing to do with ME. Maybe they have to do with your diagnosis of EDS. Nosebleeds are not a diagnostic criteria of ME. They are common to the population of the whole world. Healthy people get them. Sick people get them.

Polls on a forum really don't tell you a whole lot and plus you can't extrapolate anything from just a few answers.

Allyson

thnks for your opinon Kina -

i asssume you have searched the medical research before making such a statement

one very brief google query bought up this so someone obvoulsy disagrees - I have no prior knowedge of or reealltionshop to this search result link

Nose Bleeds & Hemorrhoids - Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

& CFS all my life. Or, so I’ve been told. Have ALL the symptoms mentioned including nosebleeds. Had alot of them as a kid. Seems like every week or so.
chronicfatigue.about.com/.../11/nose-bleeds-hemorrhoids-symptoms-of... ]

Undisclosed

thnks for your opinon Kina -

i asssume you have searched the medical research before making such a statement

one very brief google query bought up this so someone obvoulsy disagrees - I have no prior knowedge of or reealltionshop to this search result link

Nose Bleeds & Hemorrhoids - Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

& CFS all my life. Or, so I’ve been told. Have ALL the symptoms mentioned including nosebleeds. Had alot of them as a kid. Seems like every week or so.
chronicfatigue.about.com/.../11/nose-bleeds-hemorrhoids-symptoms-of... ]

Allyson -- I am not referring to fibromyalgia, I am referring to ME. Where are nosebleeds in the Canadian Consensus Criteria. I have done a lot of research on ME. I think the key here is that you have recently received a diagnosis of EDS which would explain the symptom of nosebleeds or it could be that you were just prone to them as a child. That is something that really doesn't have an easy answer. Again, nosebleeds are not diagnostically significant in ME.

Canadian Criteria

Fatigue
The patient must have a significant degree of new onset, unexplained, persistent, or recurrent physical and mental fatigue that substantially reduces activity level.
Post-Exertional Malaise and/or Fatigue
An inappropriate loss of physical and mental stamina, rapid muscular and cognitive fatigability, post-exertional malaise and/or fatigue and/or pain and a tendency for other symptoms to worsen. The recovery period is pathologically slow -- usually 24 hours or longer.
Sleep Dysfunction
Unrefreshing sleep or sleep quality, or rhythm disturbances such as reversed or chaotic sleep rhythms.
Pain
A significant degree of pain, which can be in the muscles and/or joints, and is often widespread and migratory. Often, there are headaches of a new type, pattern or severity.
Two or more of the following neurological/cognitive manifestations:
Confusion
Impairment of concentration and short-term memory consolidation
Disorientation
Difficulty with information processing
Categorizing and word retrieval
Perceptual and sensory disturbances (such as spatial instability and disorientation, inability to focus vision)
Ataxia (inability to coordinate muscular movement), muscle weakness or twitching
Cognitive, sensory or emotional overload, which may cause a crash or anxiety
At least 1 symptom from two of the following categories:
Autonomic manifestations, including: neurally mediated hypotension, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, delayed postural hypotension, light-headedness, pallor, nausea and irritable bowel syndrome, urinary frequency and bladder dysfunction, palpitations with or without cardiac arrhythmias, exertional dyspnea (difficult or labored breathing)
Neuroendocrine manifestations, including: subnormal body temperature and marked temperature fluctuation, sweating episodes, recurrent feelings of feverishness and cold extremities, intolerance of extreme heat or cold, marked weight change (anorexia or abnormal appetite), loss of adaptability and worsening of symptoms with stress
Immune manifestations, including: tender lymph nodes, recurrent sore throat, recurrent flu-like symptoms, general malaise, or new sensitivities to food, medications and/or chemicals.
Illness persists for at least 6 months
Onset is usually distinct but may be gradual. In children, only 3 months is needed for a diagnosis.

Allyson

Allyson -- I am not referring to fibromyalgia, I am referring to ME. Where are nosebleeds in the Canadian Consensus Criteria. I have done a lot of research on ME. I think the key here is that you have recently received a diagnosis of EDS which would explain the symptom of nosebleeds or it could be that you were just prone to them as a child. That is something that really doesn't have an easy answer. Again, nosebleeds are not diagnostically significant in ME.

Canadian Criteria

thanks Kina -

that posts also refersto her "CFS" which isin hte banner for this site if it means chronic fatigue syndrome

However I thought the Canadian consensu criteria had been supeceded by the International Consensus criteria of 2011 ?

Undisclosed

thanks Kina -

that posts also refersto her "CFS" which isin hte banner for this site if it means chronic fatigue syndrome

However I thought the Canadian consensu criteria had been supeceded by the International Consensus criteria of 2011 ?

The article specifically refers to Fibromyalgia. Actually the banner refers to 'Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue' which has nothing to do with ME or CFS. The ICC doesn't mention nosebleeds either.

Allyson

The article specifically refers to Fibromyalgia. Actually the banner refers to 'Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue' which has nothing to do with ME or CFS. The ICC doesn't mention nosebleeds either.

srry my bad typing again Kina,

i meant PR site banner say chronic fatigue syndrome - i was not aware you excluded Fibromyalgia from this site - do you regard it a s a totally different condition - i do not have it but always assuec they were closely connnected/

but there is mention in that site of cfs eg
What Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

is just one area there that i have copied here

and i note with interest she has a poll on nosebleeds too which quite a few have said yes to - i had never seen that site before ( i do not think) .interesting, thanks

CHeers,
Ally

Undisclosed

srry my bad typing again Kina,

i meant PR site banner say chronic fatigue syndrome - i was not aware you excluded Fibromyalgia from this site - do you regard it a s a totally different condition - i do not have it but always assuec they were closely connnected/

but there is mention in that site of cfs eg
What Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

is just one area there that i have copied here

and i note with interest she has a poll on nosebleeds too which quite a few have said yes to - i had never seen that site before ( i do not think) .interesting, thanks

CHeers,
Ally

You quoted a site that said fibromyalgia is related to nosebleeds. My point was that nosebleeds are not a diagnostic criteria for ME. ME is not fibromyalgia. We are not discussing the banner for PR, we are discussing nosebleeds. We don't exclude any differential or related diagnosis from this site. All is important when one is looking for answers. Quite a few have said yes they have nosebleeds but it doesn't mean they are a result of ME as nosebleeds are common to the general healthy population. I suppose one could note that most have said they don't have nosebleeds.

I guess I am missing your point. I just don't see a connection to ME as one can't extrapolate any meaning to a poll that doesn't define the parameters. A lot of time has been put into defining consensus criteria -- whether Canadain or ICC -- neither mentions nosebleeds. Neither say that ME/CFS is a connective disorder. A nosebleed is a nosebleed, not diagnostic of much, except a nosebleed.

Allyson

Allyson

I thought this thread was about nosebleeds? Lyme is a bit off topic.

Sushi
you have misunderstiood sucshi

the point is that if Lyme can have over 100 threads and a poll on this forum
why is nosebleeds considered too far out?

lyme is not ME or cfs

the 2011 consensu criteria do nnot have syptom list for ME tha ti can perceive.

Valentijn

the point is that if Lyme can have over 100 threads and a poll on this forum
Lyme is a bacterial infection and a potential trigger of ME/CFS. It's also possible it exists as a co-infection for many patients.

EDS can't be ME. Not unless you radically change how each is defined. In which case you wouldn't be talking about ME and/or EDS anymore.