• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychosomatic disorders - Synonyms

golden

The Doctor to whom I was referring stated her fast lifestyle, long working hours (by choice) stress as reasons for her meltdown.

I have read Dr. Mercolas take on OCD being caused by bad gut. The uptake of antibiotic, and lack of care towards good gut functikn may account for this.

If you have a good immune system, this goes a long way to self protection.

I asked this Doctor when she was drugging patients on her psychiactric ward if she had checked for parasites, had she checked for metal toxicity or chemical exposures, had she checked for thyroid problems which may not show up in a blood test, had she checked for deficiencies such as B6, had she checked for Candida Overgrowth, had she ruled out other physical causes...

She had not.

This included vulnerable new Mothers who are more prone to thyroid issues.

I dont think the system is set up for Health. Not for patients and not for clinicians.

Hip

The Doctor to whom I was referring stated her fast lifestyle, long working hours (by choice) stress as reasons for her meltdown.

That is because most people, including doctors, are not aware of links between acquiring a chronic microbial infection, and the precipitation of mental or physical disease.

It does not help either that most microbes we catch enter our bodies asymptomatically, so that we are usually not aware that we have caught some new nasty pathogen.

In the absence of any obvious, visible causal factors (microbes being invisible and often asymptomatic), most people post-rationalize their burnout or nervous breakdown, and put the blame on long hours and stress. But if it were stress, then why did all the other doctors in the same surgery with the same workload remain healthy?

Because microbes are invisible and are often contracted asymptomatically, they are just not noticed, and so in spite of the fact that they can cause severe dysfunction in the body, the cause of diseases is often not pinned on microbes, even though low-level chronic microbial infection likely underlies a vast array of common diseases.

In fact, Ignaz Semmelweis, the 19th century genius obstetrician who worked out the original germ theory of disease, was not believed by his medical colleagues at the time. Nobody believed him that these invisible microscopic germs exist, and that they are capable of causing death and disease.

Because germs cannot be seen, doctors at the time thought it was preposterous that the unwashed hands of a surgeon were the source of so much disease. And yet as soon as Semmelweis got his fellow obstetrician doctors to disinfect their hands before delivering babies, the death rate in obstetrics wards dropped dramatically. But even then, doctors still did not really believe Semmelweis that germs exist, and eventually they stopped washing their hands again, and of course the death rate of women giving birth shot up again. Semmelweis tried really hard, but nobody would believe him that such invisible germs existed and caused death and disease.

We are still in the position of Semmelweis: there are researchers like the late Dr John Richardson in the UK, and Dr John Chia in the USA, who are at pains to point out how ME/CFS often follows a coxsackievirus B or echovirus infection, yet few people really listen, and few people follow up on his research. Such a tragedy. The answer to what causes ME/CFS is very likely the viruses Richardson and Chia suggest, but little interest is given, even among ME/CFS patients. We have not learnt from medical history at all. The human race seems incorrigibly brainless sometimes.

alex3619

People do not want to give up their convictions, regardless of the evidence. Thats just human nature. How intelligent they are might not matter, its about how they relate to belief and conviction. A smart person committed to bad dogma will be very smart at defending it. Its about attitudes toward evidence: most of the human race is mired in adherence to old ideas.

alex3619

I dont think the system is set up for Health. Not for patients and not for clinicians.

As I see it the system is not set up at all. Its kind of thrown together by historical events, and nobody really has a grip on it. The medical associations defend it as the system gives them privileges. Governments tinker with it, and by orchestrating government agenda based reviews for "best practice" can manipulate the direction. Doctors are legally priviliged, their opinion is given weight in law, and its difficult to sue them or prosecute them to the same degree as others in society. There are almost no checks and balances in the system, and without the general measures - including open enquiry and legal proceedings - all the fallback checks and balances fail. Its a system without transparency or accountability, and a general lack of governance. This was the subject of the blog I was planning to post in March but had to put off - I hope to get it out by the end of next month.

Allyson

I'd like to compile a brief list of synonyms for 'psychosomatic' terminology that has been used to describe ME.
I'm always forgetting the names, and I get confused by all the different names and definitions.
I'd also quite like to put them in chronological order, in terms of when they came into existence, if anyone has any insight into this.

I believe that Wessely and Co's current favourite is "functional somatic syndrome", or similar.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/185/2/95.full

and strangely a cardiologist told me that "cfs was a psychocomatic illness

andt that the "cure" was to get up every day for 3 weeks, hae hot shower [sic] and stay up all day!

Since when did you cure a psychosomatic illness with physical activity?

All that couneslling mus t be a wast eof time to in her opinion.

and i repeat what i have said elsewhere - i think a lot of people who think they have depression may actually have ME - those crashes that "hit out of the blue" - and get called a black dog - for no apparent reason may actually be due to undiagnosed OI.

It could put Wessley and his ilk out of business though if more people were accurately diagnosed.

Bob

Via Tom Kindlon's Twitter account, here's what UK medical students are currently being taught about functional disorders, including CFS, in the 8th edition (2012) of the Kumar & Clark textbook, "Clinical Medicine":
https://www.inkling.com/read/kumar-...ne-8th/chapter-23/functional-or-psychosomatic

It starts off by explaining the nature of what they consider to be a 'functional disorder' and compare it to a 'somatoform disorder.' (Same thing but different fields of medicine?)

There are some earlier discussions on the forum about a previous edition (2005) of the textbook, here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...sight-into-their-views.1239/page-2#post-34234

And a new thread discussing the latest edition of the book, here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...fs-via-a-chapter-in-a-medical-textbook.27358/

Last edited:

leela

One of the (many) nonsensical things with the whole "psychosomatic" paradigm is the completely irrational
supposition that a person with any sort of (perceived) psych diagnosis or manifestation becomes somehow magically immune from all physical illnesses.

There should be a psych diagnosis for *that*!
"Psychiatric Immunity Spell Syndrome."