• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to buy: sulfate or sulfite strips?

AVS

I bought sulfate strips because I was under the impression that the sulfur or sulfites in food, supplement, or additive were all converted into sulfate by SOUX. Now, one of the issues I am running across is what time of the day to use the strips. My morning urine sulfate is always around 800 and my afternoon evening is around 200-400. Not sure if the morning urine is all that counts? Sorry for rambling, SULFATE strips are the ones that I bought for around $35 on amazon.

Lotus97

According dbkita, the amount of protein and methylation can increase sulfates
On lower amounts of methylation my urine sulfates even on my high protein diet are like 400 or so at night. With my current methylation protocol it is about 600-800. One night last week when I went overboard and gorged on meat at dinner (don't ask why) my urine sulfates hit 1600+ and I had cramps all over my back, neck, jaw, etc.

roxie60

If one has a CBS issue would this dictate which one. I do not know my SOUX, wish someone could figure out which SNPs are related to the SOUX Yasko tests for methylation issues.

Lotus97

These:http://www.amazon.com/Indicator-Detect-Sulfate-Quantofix-Analytical/dp/B0089PPE5E/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1368227029&sr=8-7&keywords=sulfate test

Sulfur and ammonia are two different things, but they both use the same pathway. So if ammonia is high, then sulfate will have difficulty being processed, and vice versa. That's why the CBS protocol includes supps and diet for lowering both ammonia and sulfate.
You mentioned earlier that you were able to tolerate a higher methylation dose after doing the CBS protocol. So does that mean that someone with high ammonia will also have a harder time tolerating methylation doses?