• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTS article 2013 JAAPA

Allyson

here is new article on POTs

http://www.jaapa.com/a-46-year-old-...static-tachycardia-syndrome/article/290779/2/

intenesly dislike the opening statement - Pots occurs in anxious women!! And the placement of it in the first sentence....

Maybe POTS causes symptoms onf anxiety - these symptoms only occur when we are upright or very hot which is what distingushes them from anxiety..

You can commnet on the page ...just need to register that you are in any field of medicine/paramedicine etc, otherwise we are may need to find contacts to contact the authors dirctly about this.... and the deconditioning theory that they discuss and seem to support as well...plus ca change !!

"Anxious " is a standard medical code for nutter btw - just in case "chronic" and "syndrome": don t convey that message well enough - I can foresee a name change - "chronic anxiety nuisance fatigue syndrome".

Shell

Pretty bad case report that makes some serious generalisations from one case. First it assumes that all POTS patients need salt and fluid.
Some of us have hypertension and edema. I don't need salt regularly thanks; already had a TIA. And as for fluids - I'm on a diuretic.lol.

Little is really known about POTS so assuming it's in any way related to anxiety is a stretch. Assuming it always comes with NMH is simply wrong.

POTS can come without any other concurrant problems, or with NMH or with IST (like me) or hyperadrenergic or combo (like me). There are probably lots of other ways POTS can present. The authors appear to know nothing about the subject they have written on.

If they want to bandy around a dx of anxiety without proper care, can I dx them with complete pillockitis?

Allyson

Pretty bad case report that makes some serious generalisations from one case. First it assumes that all POTS patients need salt and fluid.
Some of us have hypertension and edema. I don't need salt regularly thanks; already had a TIA. And as for fluids - I'm on a diuretic.lol.

Little is really known about POTS so assuming it's in any way related to anxiety is a stretch. Assuming it always comes with NMH is simply wrong.

POTS can come without any other concurrant problems, or with NMH or with IST (like me) or hyperadrenergic or combo (like me). There are probably lots of other ways POTS can present. The authors appear to know nothing about the subject they have written on.

If they want to bandy around a dx of anxiety without proper care, can I dx them with complete pillockitis?

Well said Shell !

SHame it is out there though - not off to a good start - most docs have not even heard of it and they are pushing this line.

Allyson

And of course they put anxiety int he first line of a fairly short paper.

Like that is an important [causative - they imply ] factor.

cheers
Ally

sorry i did ot reply earlier - I thought if you started a thread you would get notification s but i did not.